Preview Round 4: Essendon vs GWS Giants, Docklands, Sunday 9th April @ 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he was Bronx cheered after getting subbed out with a broken collarbone.

What’s the difference between Bronx cheering and booing a club legend who was injured? Stanton was harassed for months on end by piss weak dons fans. I copped so much abuse in the stands whenever I told “fans” to pull their heads in. Was ugly

* me. Stanton was never booed. I was at the game and it just didn’t happen. Another figbooty myth.

Never happened.
Right so Bomber Thompson after the game and Matthew Lloyd both commented on it because it was made up?

Stanton was harassed and booed by Essendon fans on multiple occasions. I saw it myself at multiple games I attended.

Oh, well - That's OK then is it?

I mean we don't boo but we jeer our own players when they are forcibly removed from a game with a serious injury.
That's a far better reflection of out supporter base...

* me.
The prosecution rests your honor

What’s the difference between Bronx cheering and booing a club legend who was injured? Stanton was harassed for months on end by piss weak dons fans. I copped so much abuse in the stands whenever I told “fans” to pull their heads in. Was ugly

Right so Bomber Thompson after the game and Matthew Lloyd both commented on it because it was made up?

Stanton was harassed and booed by Essendon fans on multiple occasions. I saw it myself at multiple games I attended.

Oh, well - That's OK then is it?

I mean we don't boo but we jeer our own players when they are forcibly removed from a game with a serious injury.
That's a far better reflection of out supporter base...

* me.
The prosecution rests your honor
I never said it was okay. I said they didn't boo. There's a difference.

If anyone saw the post match presser last week a journo asked Brad how impressed he was with the kids and Massimo game getting 26 touches and Brad teed off. There’s clearly something in relation to team defence that Heppell is doing and Massimo is a long way off as Massimo foot skills in traffic are unreal.

In saying that though, Dyson is a liability right now and I hope he has been given the one last chance before dropped convo. Im backing Brad in, when you saw his response to the Massimo question you know he just wouldn’t be playing favourites
I agree that in terms of defence in general, Massimo is a long way off.

My issue is that as far as I can tell, Heppell is a fair way off as well and can’t hit the side of a barn either.

I agree that in terms of defence in general, Massimo is a long way off.

My issue is that as far as I can tell, Heppell is a fair way off as well and can’t hit the side of a barn either.

The thing that ****’s me off with that, is Massimo had 27 stats at an elite rate.

He’s 19.

He may not be great defensively, but not every single player has to be.

Heppell, McGrath and Parish were terrible moving the ball forward (where Massimo was elite) - and they were also horrendous defensively, aside from one, maybe two occasions from McGrath.

We’re about the same age as Sydney this week, who made the GF last year. The ‘rebuild’ is the biggest load of s*** ever, it’s not a rebuild if the kids are in the twos every week. There’s two players in our 22 from the last five national drafts - that’s a fact. We aren’t young, not at all.

The thing that ****’s me off with that, is Massimo had 27 stats at an elite rate.

He’s 19.

He may not be great defensively, but not every single player has to be.

Heppell, McGrath and Parish were terrible moving the ball forward (where Massimo was elite) - and they were also horrendous defensively, aside from one, maybe two occasions from McGrath.

We’re about the same age as Sydney this week, who made the GF last year. The ‘rebuild’ is the biggest load of s*** ever, it’s not a rebuild if the kids are in the twos every week. There’s two players in our 22 from the last five national drafts - that’s a fact. We aren’t young, not at all.
Mass very stiff
Top 5 effort in a side that had a lot of off performances. His boot sets a lot up for us
Perplexing
No 7th defender either....unless langfords goals are surplus for us...or hepp is going to play back

So much for Scott making the tough calls.

Heppell continuing to play over Mass, Hind, Snelling, Hobbs... pretty much anyone. Pathetic.
I don’t want heppell in the team as much as the next person but as I’ve said many times, Scott will back him in for a while. Doubt it will be before mid season until he gets pushed out. The next month or so against someone of the best sides in the compo, the pressure will really come after playing against the elite.

Let’s stay classy…booing Hepp would be a s**t act

I don’t think it really happens…

Every team should boo the players that leave - like Daniher and Fantasia. That’s a bit of fun. I, as 99.9% of the Essendon fans that boo them, would hope they do well against everyone but us.

No one is going to boo Heppell.

If I was Hepp and performing like that then sheer embarrassment alone would keep me from putting on the boots again until I've earned it.

The moment my coach has to come out and defend my selection through PR jargon is when I'd know something ain't right.

Anyway, I've voiced my annoyance with it all abundantly clear as everyone else has. Not much we can do about it anymore but hope it doesn't derail us too much.

It is what it is.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

GWS OUTS: Perryman, Hopper, Briggs, Bruhn, Preuss, Keeffe, Aleer, Peatling
GWS INS: Callaghan, Rowston, Buckley, Idun, Flynn, Stone, Daniels

ESSENDON OUTS: Hind, Snelling, Hobbs, Wright, Stewart, Guelfi, D'Ambrosio (Unused sub)
ESSENDON INS: Setterfield, Caldwell, Weideman, Shiel, Davey Jnr, Menzie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s two players in our 22 from the last five national drafts - that’s a fact. We aren’t young, not at all.
We are actually. We had three players in Perkins, Davey and Jones plus four just from mid and supp drafts last two years ..Durham, Martin, Massimo, Menzie .

We have four picks missing because of injury Cox, Reid, Hobbs and Tsatas. Scott would love to have these four available

He was booed the week before in our massive win over Suns believe it or not. The a few weeks later in Dreamtime game he was definitely booed again.

Salmon was of course another booed by own supporters.

Same. Scotty Lucas as well. And The Zerk.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pick Heppell either, but anyone still surprised he continues to get picked hasn't being paying attention.

Scott basically said he expected Hepp to play 16 games or so this year. He may not get that many, but Scott was never dropping him at round 4, as right or wrong as it may be (I believe the latter personally).
Agree 100%. Hep is pretty much done but the fact is Scott is going to back an experienced player in at the start of the season. Hep is not in my team either but I am more looking at what happens after round 8 or 9 and if they do not offer him a new contract. If this is his last season I can cop a bit of loyalty at this stage of the build.

Not directed at Grizz but a general comment.
I will add this. Not many take into account the positions play. It is very simple to say Mass or Hobbs should be in and would be better which they probably could but for their development should they be playing wing and trying to learn that role at senior level ? Cox struggled to get a handle on the wing position and in the end lost confidence.
For me if they are replacing Heppell then we are brining in someone we want to play wing. That could be moving Langford to wing / forward and playing another defender like Montgomery at some stage.
If it is Mass to a wing then he has to do it in the VFL for some games.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Weed playing over Flip. Back in the bloke who gives you everything, every week.

Stringer doesn’t seem ready for AFL yet….3 weeks of VFL would have been optimal I reckon.

Langford needs to be playing forward/wing. Should not be part of a defensive rotation.

Hep - enough has been said.

Mass - ok with him being dropped, he was a sieve defensively last week. Seems like small defender is the role for him (can’t really see him as a mid or forward) so he needs to learn it - both with and without the footy.

Not super happy with this line-up, wasn’t super happy with last weeks. Think we struggle to win.

Agree 100%. Hep is pretty much done but the fact is Scott is going to back an experienced player in at the start of the season. Hep is not in my team either but I am more looking at what happens after round 8 or 9 and if they do not offer him a new contract. If this is his last season I can cop a bit of loyalty at this stage of the build.

Not directed at Grizz but a general comment.
I will add this. Not many take into account the positions play. It is very simple to say Mass or Hobbs should be in and would be better which they probably could but for their development should they be playing wing and trying to learn that role at senior level ? Cox struggled to get a handle on the wing position and in the end lost confidence.
For me if they are replacing Heppell then we are brining in someone we want to play wing. That could be moving Langford to wing / forward and playing another defender like Montgomery at some stage.
If it is Mass to a wing then he has to do it in the VFL for some games.
The solution was actually pretty straightforward this week, and imo makes us a better team. Langford back to the wing, Mass keeps playing in defence.

His left boot makes everyone think Mass should be down back delivering to our forwards.

Am I the only one who remembers him kicking goals when put forward late last year?

His left boot makes everyone think Mass should be down back delivering to our forwards.

Am I the only one who remembers him kicking goals when put forward late last year?
He’s an interesting one.

If his one on one work defensively improves his best spot is almost definitely in defence. I could very easily see him ending up changing positions to either wing or forward if it doesn’t though.

I said before thr Saints game that Stringer ought to have been given another VFL game (full game) to get his usual cobwebs out.

Him playing forward moves Langford out of there and keeps Voss out, as I think those three are competing with each other for that 3rd tall/medium forward and presently Langford is playing it better, though Stringe rhas the higher upside.

We are in a tough spot re Weideman - his competitiveness in the air is splotchy at best, but with Wright out we need someone playing that power forward role. Phillips is a nice gimmick but he can't be relied on consistently when he is also doing significant ruck time and he is a non factor at ground level defensively.
In reality we need Jones to be balling out to take that spot but that isn't happening on form.

Massimos work with ball in hand is exceptional, but he is a complete liability defensively. Higgins and Butler torched him consistently. If defence is his spot then he has to work on that, and VFL level is probably appropriate so he is exposed to less talented players as he learns.

The discussion on Heppell has been had.
Should he be picked on form? No.
Is he cooked? Absolutely
Are there clearly other factors at play than what we can see from the stands? Yes, but whatever benefits we are gaining are clearly being outweighed by the other side of the scales at the moment, and he would want to fix it fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back