Game Day Round 5, 2020: Carlton v St.Kilda *BUTLER & HOWARD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best assessment of Austin's situation.

He may get lucky because we already have too many to delist, but he's not yet shown enough to justify any more then a 1 year deal on minimum wage.

VFL watchers are split as to weather he offers anything, but because he seems to lack true KPD pedigree, he's in the B pool with Roberton and Claverino, both of whom would be a higher priority.
However, Robbo is nearing his twilight and on big money, whilst Claverino is yet to play a game and doesn't look like he'll get a shot this year.
Austin may yet get an opportunity if one of our front line KPD's goes down.
I think most here would like to see a couple of games before he gets the chop..

irish is probably in that list too. along with Brown.

IMO Claverino is one of the most over-rated prospect i've seen on here since Ledger. he may turn that around, but it's not exactly looking promising.

if i was to guess i reckon we will cut into the KPD depth, given the acquisition of howard, the rise of Battle and role Marsh can play. the later two have flexibility of playing a variety of positions too.

question is who goes and who stays.

Brown is old. so out he goes.
Roberton will get another year as depth i reckon. Wilkie has his spot.
Richo let the cat of the bag on Logan and said he had issues covering the ground. So i reckon he's probably done. even at 24. Marsh 2cm smaller can go back if needed in his spot, if he's called up to replace Carlisle/Howard/Wilkie.
Marsh you keep as depth/swingman
Battle def keep

so thats 2 down. 1 depth.

leaves: Joyce and Clavarino. you may just carry both as development depth.

what we do need to do is find a replacement for Carlisle at some point

I haven't submitted a review of last weeks game but will add it too this week in hoping to see the same thing.

-They always look to be moving forward now, ready to brace the tackle, take the game on and know where their options are to dish out. We are always looking to move the ball forward and keep the momentum going. Weather that is taking possession or knocking it forward. Since they know and believe in the game plan, the players down the field are aware of this and more than often in the right position which is making it easier to set up to move to move the balling into the forward 50. When we do go backwards, it is to a player who is free and can get the ball moving forward.

- They looks well organised, mentally focused and are now ready to match teams psychically (collingwood game did not reflect this). Some one makes a mistake, they dont look like they are kicking them self, they are being supported by their team mates knowing they are doing the right thing and it is going to take time to get it right. We are laying big hits and making players earn their ball. Gresh is really good at using his body to tackle people who are bigger than him. Battle, Long and marsh are beast which are going to leave a lot of players sore. We leave players looking rattled after some of our hits. Long chased down lynch, shoved him down twice. We are know confident to push other teams around.

- We are standing up for each other as a full unit. Vlustan decked battle off the ball, battle didnt react and start a fight. Went back, took his free kick and set up membrey for a goal. 5/10 minutes later steele flips vlustan over lays on top of him and stares at him while he trys to get up. We are making the other team accountable for their actions against us, but in the right way and not getting caught up in scraps.

- We hold space well and tackle at the right time. Players are not getting sucked in any more and holding space to give others the time to make their way over and stop teams moving the ball forward. Leading to pressure acts with the balling being held up or going back our way. We are tackling well and with the right numbers.

few player notes

- Marsh: If you have suffered from mental health ( I have) and then get yourself back to a good place. You have learnt some great skills and have a very strong mindset. He is going to be a great assets for our team. His energy and presence is known out on the field.

-Butler/Jones: Both playing great football and I believe so because they know in this team, they mean some thing. They are a vital part of our success and that can only drive players to worker hard/give them confidence.

- Clark again just has time and space in his own little world. That one step kick to marshall was amazing.

-Howard: it was great to see him have a night of taking one grab marks. Hopefully now he has had a night of them, it has given him confidence back. Also i love browny, but how good is it to have a defender who can hold down the big boys and then set us up out of the back line with clean skills.

Long: Love the way he takes the game on. One kick in the middle went to a tigers player, but he took dusty on in the middle and went around him. He also gave dusty a clip around the ears when he marked the ball (cheeky) and there was no retaliation form the tiges, because we were hunting them.

- Good to see coff playing well, more time at this level will only give hi confidence

-King: I know he hasnt had a big game yet, but heck me he looks like he is going to be a freak. Just his IQ and how he carries him self is what gives me confidence he is going to be a star. Our second goal which was kicked by marshall. It came from a membrey hand ball, membrey only got that ball because King who was out of position. Stuck his arm out and made a contest, but he tapped the ball to one of our players advantages, he just knows the right thing to do. They are sending two/three players too him, opposition players respect him . kents goal in the square, ok King did not mark the ball. He held the defender out with one arm, protected the space and launched with some one able to get near his hands/the ball. In the fourth when butler hit the post. King made a contest, got tackled, lost the ball, got it back and then held onto it for the right time to give a handball with a little pepper which gave butler time and space to have a shot. During that play and the ones up on the wing were he dished it off, you can see the midfielder in him. Once this man is up and firing, we are going to be a lot better of a team.

- Battle is a jet, he just looks clinical and always give his all. I will go into more depth after tonight's game in my review.

To finish off, having jarryd Roughhead on the bench, is a luxury no team has. Ratten can stay up stairs knowing the bench is being delivered the right message.

Jones is a big out, but looking forward to tonight. Saints by 18. Even though it is against carlton (who i am not saying are bad) to win a big hyped game, in prime time. I reckon will be huge for us moving forward as well let these slip. I know a lot of this has already been said, but lets go!

Last edited:
You sound surprised George, didn't you know they were coming?
:$

I'd be surprised too that they arrived, you can't blame him for asking.

Steele the one to go to Cripps. He doesn’t stop him (hard to do anyway) but he gets just as much of the ball and tries to keep him accountable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you assume that we don't have a like for like to Cripps in getting the ball, and that it's likely he gets first use, then yeah Steele is best case as you then need to blanket his potential burst from either in dishing out or solo effort similar to what you would in sharking a tap when you know you're going to lose it.

Like most things though, it's a group effort so whilst you assume that Steele can do the run with job well, it's the likes of Ross & Hanners primarily to assist with the mature bodies and with the slack of not just leaving it to one bloke.

IMO Claverino is one of the most over-rated prospect i've seen on here since Ledger. he may turn that around, but it's not exactly looking promising.

if i was to guess i reckon we will cut into the KPD depth, given the acquisition of howard, the rise of Battle and role Marsh can play. the later two have flexibility of playing a variety of positions too.

Richo let the cat of the bag on Logan and said he had issues covering the ground. So i reckon he's probably done. even at 24. Marsh 2cm smaller can go back if needed in his spot, if he's called up to replace Carlisle/Howard/Wilkie.
Battle def keep

B King ?

Battle def keep

Nar, I respectfully disagree.

Irish will be back on the boat as soon as the season ends.

Clav, I have no opinion on because I've never clapped eyes on him in the flesh.
P66 reckons no, Stew and Risky think yes, so I'm gonna go with yes until the proof is in front of me. Remember Tom Doedee spent years in the 2's before getting his go, and you wouldn't say he's been a failure.
Clav could be Trout's parting gift or one of Libba's finest, all TBC.

Robbo has another year on his contract apparently, though there could be a games played clause for all we know. I think he might get told to look around..

And you know what I think of Richo's opinion..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If by tag you mean right hook and get banned for a bit, sure.

There's this massive void of skill gap in between though, that might make it hard otherwise.

I don't think taggers need to be skilled.

Matt De Boer has about as much footy talent as me but his fitness, work rate and IQ mean he takes out the best players week after week.

Marsh certainly has the physical attributes to line up on Cripps and just stop him being first to the ball. Doesn't need to be getting 20 himself, just take Cripps out of the game.

What about our gop forward. I wish he was as good as a gop as weitering. Unfortunately you love your stats to much and fail to actually watch games. By the way gringo said he was joking so picked the wrong person to back you up.
Actually I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why Weitering is so good with his 11 possessions and 4 marks - not even the Carlton supporters have had a crack - c'mon someone - please help me out!!!!

You love an argument - here's a hypothetical - AFL Fairy says to Ratts you can have Weitering for a game. Who is Ratts dropping and why will it make us so so so much better?

GOP+

Saints by 35

Really like the changes to the line up - can't wait to see Billings taking big contested grabs at FF with Max King and Josh Battle waiting at his feet to pounce on any loose balls.

Carlton v St Kilda Marvel, Saturday August 17, 1:45 pm AEST 2019

Carlton

B Nic Newman, Lachie Plowman, Dale Thomas
HB Will Setterfield, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
C Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Lochie O'Brien
HF Levi Casboult, Harry McKay, Jack Silvagni
F Zac Fisher, Matthew Kennedy, Mitch McGovern
FOL Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Sam Walsh
I/C Sam Petrevski-Seton, Paddy Dow, Josh Deluca, Michael Gibbons
EMG Hugh Goddard, Andrew Phillips, Alex Fasolo, Darcy Lang
IN
Matthew Kennedy, Paddy Dow
OUT
Liam Jones (Injured), Darcy Lang (Omitted)

St Kilda

B Shane Savage, Nathan Brown, Ben Paton
HB Jack Newnes, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Dan Hannebery
HF Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele
F Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Ben Long
FOL Rowan Marshall, Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres
I/C Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan, Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie
EMG Ed Phillips, Bailey Rice, Doulton Langlands, Sam Rowe

IN
Nathan Brown
OUT
Nick Coffield (Injured)

St Kilda

B Shane Savage, Nathan Brown, Ben Paton
HB Jack Newnes, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Dan Hannebery
HF Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele
F Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Ben Long
FOL Rowan Marshall, Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres
I/C Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan, Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie

Only 9 changes from that team and its hard to argue that any of the changes are down grades.

Actually I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why Weitering is so good with his 11 possessions and 4 marks - not even the Carlton supporters have had a crack - c'mon someone - please help me out!!!!

You love an argument - here's a hypothetical - AFL Fairy says to Ratts you can have Weitering for a game. Who is Ratts dropping and why will it make us so so so much better?

GOP+

Saints by 35
Haha

Mate I explained it to you but you chose to ignore my post.

You are totally hung up about how many touches he has a game, which hilariously is very similar to the AA full back of last year.

You clearly haven't watched a Carlton game this year, otherwise you'd know he smashed Tom Lynch round one and did the same to Tom McDonald round two.

In fact he didn't have a goal kicked on him until late in the 3rd qtr of round 3

I'm a Dougal fan but form wise, Weitering would take his spot.

It's no accident people in the media are talking him up in AA form and that the coaches are handing him coaches votes.

Now stop embarrassing yourself and move on.

Hey guys. I can't find a thread for player and training discussions, but was wondering how Logan Austin is tracking? Saw he is out of contract at years end and was wondering if he will get another and any chance to break into the side. Was solid last year before injury but with Wilkie, Howard, Battle and Carlisle.. Is he any chance of making a return debut soon?
Honestly don't see him even getting a look in any more with Carlisle, Howard, Wilkie and Battle all well ahead. Joyce probably gets games as a lockdown defender over Austin and Webster, Savage or any other of our plethora of decent rebounding backmen get a game ahead of him as a more attacking defenders

GOP+

Saints by 35

A defenders role is to nullify his opponent...not accumulate.
Hows about you look at what Weitering is doing to his opponent more so than what disposals etc he's getting....do you get it now!?

Haha

Mate I explained it to you but you chose to ignore my post.

You are totally hung up about how many touches he has a game, which hilariously is very similar to the AA full back of last year.

You clearly haven't watched a Carlton game this year, otherwise you'd know he smashed Tom Lynch round one and did the same to Tom McDonald round two.

In fact he didn't have a goal kicked on him until late in the 3rd qtr of round 3

I'm a Dougal fan but form wise, Weitering would take his spot.

It's no accident people in the media are talking him up in AA form and that the coaches are handing him coaches votes.

Now stop embarrassing yourself and move on.

Doesn't look like he comprehends what he's being told. Worth a try I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back