Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheeds and Choco were good for them starting off
I rate Mark Williams very highly. He was Inaugural Vice Captain of the Bears at Carrara, then assistant coach to Sheeds at the Bombers, before making his way up with Port from assistant to head coach. After a couple of years under Sheeds again, he went to Richmond and it is no coincidence that they won a flag with him supporting Dimma.

I rate Mark Williams very highly. He was Inaugural Vice Captain of the Bears at Carrara, then assistant coach to Sheeds at the Bombers, before making his way up with Port from assistant to head coach. After a couple of years under Sheeds again, he went to Richmond and it is no coincidence that they won a flag with him supporting Dimma.
By the time they won the flag he was no longer there, but your point is still valid. The ideology and input of Williams would still have been present even after he departed.

Don't forget Chocco coached Dimma back in the Port days as well. Solid relationship there

Nah , after they get rid of williams and get BLAKE CARACELLA the whole team and game plan change . They sack all their assistant coach before their premiership year .
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/53f4be6b8e8d8577f8d6af744c209838

Mark Williams deserve no credit for Richmond premiership.
He and and a few other assistant coaches were let go the year before the premiership.

They went out and got blake caracella and Justin Leppitsch and that was the turning point

Hardwick and Williams had a big falling out after Williams left.
Williams didn't ever call Hardwick to congratulate him for the premiership win

Last edited:
Nah , after they get rid of williams and get BLAKE CARACELLA the whole team and game plan change . They sack all their assistant coach before their premiership year .
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/53f4be6b8e8d8577f8d6af744c209838

Williams got lymphoma, lads. Obviously the premiership wasn't on his shoulders, but he was there for all the years leading up to the premiership. He wasn't sacked for doing a bad job, that is certain, he was kept on while very sick and flushed out during the Tigers purge that might have claimed Hardwick too. Leppitsch was a rehire after he left the Tigers to coach the Lions to abysmal seasons. Mark Williams coached Damian Hardwick to the Port 2004 Premiership and before that Choco was assistant coach when Hardwick was at Essendon.

Williams is all about relationships and loyalty. Worsfold is the only modern day champion player and captain to go on to coach his own club to a premiership, but Williams did it with Port after being the son of a Port Adelaide hero and having a successful playing career before Port came into the AFL.

Mark Williams has never stayed in a place where he didn't get along with the hierarchy. He was an absolute star at Collingwood, but he hated Leigh Matthews and got booted out of the club to serve penance at the Bears. Even after his glorious homecoming to Port Adelaide led to sustained success - which was absolutely vital to keeping their AFL Licence - he still had to answer to the sponsors and douchebag powerbrokers at Port.

Pay him credit where it is due. Choco Williams is widely known for being a culture building guy. He is credited for taming Dusty Martin. He ran the show at GWS while Sheeds did the media. He put together a Port team that won 3 minor premierships in an era with brilliant Essendon, Brisbane and Collingwood sides. I think he would have made and incredible Inaugural Suns Coach, but the timing was all off. If he was offered the job in quiet - he was a team mate of Rocket Eade at the Bears in Carrara don't forget - it wouldn't surprise me either.

Williams got lymphoma, lads. Obviously the premiership wasn't on his shoulders, but he was there for all the years leading up to the premiership. He wasn't sacked for doing a bad job, that is certain, he was kept on while very sick and flushed out during the Tigers purge that might have claimed Hardwick too. Leppitsch was a rehire after he left the Tigers to coach the Lions to abysmal seasons. Mark Williams coached Damian Hardwick to the Port 2004 Premiership and before that Choco was assistant coach when Hardwick was at Essendon.

Williams is all about relationships and loyalty. Worsfold is the only modern day champion player and captain to go on to coach his own club to a premiership, but Williams did it with Port after being the son of a Port Adelaide hero and having a successful playing career before Port came into the AFL.

Mark Williams has never stayed in a place where he didn't get along with the hierarchy. He was an absolute star at Collingwood, but he hated Leigh Matthews and got booted out of the club to serve penance at the Bears. Even after his glorious homecoming to Port Adelaide led to sustained success - which was absolutely vital to keeping their AFL Licence - he still had to answer to the sponsors and douchebag powerbrokers at Port.

Pay him credit where it is due. Choco Williams is widely known for being a culture building guy. He is credited for taming Dusty Martin. He ran the show at GWS while Sheeds did the media. He put together a Port team that won 3 minor premierships in an era with brilliant Essendon, Brisbane and Collingwood sides. I think he would have made and incredible Inaugural Suns Coach, but the timing was all off. If he was offered the job in quiet - he was a team mate of Rocket Eade at the Bears in Carrara don't forget - it wouldn't surprise me either.
Agree with you there mate. Always liked Chocco but could see how he rubs some people up the wrong way. Always says what he thinks.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes he was there for all the failed years leading up to missing the 8 in his final year.

the tiges cut the people holding them back.

He deserves no credit for the Tiges premiership

IMG_0645.jpg

Last edited:
Yes he was there for all the failed years leading up to missing the 8 in his final year.

the tiges cut the people holding them back.

He deserves no credit for the Tiges premiership

View attachment 487818
I think that is too big of a stretch. Flip it round and consider the boss you worked for 5 years ago, its as if saying the leader in your life had no impact in your career and wouldn't be where you are today because of some key moments or discussions. Poorly worded, but you get what I'm trying to say.

Yes different gameplay style, but past coaches or leaders will impact and shape your character whether you wanted it to or not.

I think that is too big of a stretch. Flip it round and consider the boss you worked for 5 years ago, its as if saying the leader in your life had no impact in your career and wouldn't be where you are today because of some key moments or discussions. Poorly worded, but you get what I'm trying to say.

Yes different gameplay style, but past coaches or leaders will impact and shape your character whether you wanted it to or not.
Just my personal opinion , i won't credit Eade and mckenna if GC make the 8 , a lot of players not around anymore .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my personal opinion , i won't credit Eade and mckenna if GC make the 8 , a lot of players not around anymore .
I believe they still would have had an impact on the young men growing up and developed them as people and footballers - for better or worse.

If we had’ve lost against Brisbane the media would’ve come hard for us so why is nothing said about Brisbane who are still winless? Is it just accepted by the media because they’ve been around the bottom part of the ladder for almost a decade?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we had’ve lost against Brisbane the media would’ve come hard for us so why is nothing said about Brisbane who are still winless? Is it just accepted by the media because they’ve been around the bottom part of the ladder for almost a decade?

Because the Media narrative has been Fagan/Brisbane Good, Suns bad
They have no need to recant until at least the end of the season because expectations of both Clubs is low

Last edited:
If our initial coaching s

Because the Media narrative has been Fagan/Brisbane Good, Suns bad
They have no need to recant until at least the end of the season because expectations of both Clubs is low

If we were 0-5 it would be all over the boards and media
GC Sporting Graveyard
Move them to Tasmania
Enough money has been wasted
No Culture
There should be one team in QLD

But because we have a winning record all the haters and inbreds are just biting their lip and staying quiet.

If GC make it in the next 2-3 seasons then Eade should recieve some credit I think. I'll admit he wasn't the right man as onfield coach but I do believe he was an important part of turning the off field around.
A quick look at the injury ravaged teams he had to pick from shows he didn't exactly have his prime cattle to choose from very often either.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If GC make it in the next 2-3 seasons then Eade should recieve some credit I think. I'll admit he wasn't the right man as onfield coach but I do believe he was an important part of turning the off field around.
A quick look at the injury ravaged teams he had to pick from shows he didn't exactly have his prime cattle to choose from very often either.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Completely agree
He inherited a basket case of conflicting personalities and the inmates running the asylum
Whatever you think of him as a gameday coach he changed things for the better

Because the Media narrative has been Fagan + Hodge (must be Hawthorn culture) / Brisbane Good, Suns bad

EFA ;)
If Hawthorn had such a young, unbalanced list, devoid of senior talent I’d wager they’d be down near the bottom of the ladder for quite a while too.

Completely agree
He inherited a basket case of conflicting personalities and the inmates running the asylum
Whatever you think of him as a gameday coach he changed things for the better
I think Rocket's mandate was the first cog in a three step process. IMO this is the three step process that has/will take place for the club to reach the top of the mountain:
  • Clean up the toxic off field culture.
  • Set the foundation for sustained success.
  • Develop/Bring in high end talent in their physical peak to compete for a premiership.
Eade completed step 1 of the process and Dew is currently undertaking step 2. Getting step 2 right is very important because it allows the team to always be competitive, regardless of underdeveloped/lack of talent on the list (see Swans over the last 15 years). Step 3 will come in time when the likes of Martin, Brodie, Bowes, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Miller and Weller all start reaching their physical peak and dominate through the midfield.

One of us should start a relocate Carlton to Tassie thread on the Bay

Last edited:
You could mount a case for saints north and bulldogs to be sent there also
Saints two home games 19000 against Adelaide & 14000 on Saturday against GWS. 40,000 members?
Hawks & Nth have 115000 members yet only 27000 in perfect conditions.
Membership numbers seem suspect in Melb. Some clubs have pet memberships!
Don’t expect Melb media to place the spotlight on them. Qld clubs are easy click bait targets.

McKenna got the job that was always likely to end in failure. The recruitment strategy let him down in two main ways: they went too young with too many young players and didn't get the balance right with mature players; and, the AFL forced the Suns to choose from what was then a shallow talent pool in parts of QLD and the NT. Getting Jaeger and Martin as 17 year olds was a very long term investment, with Martin only hitting his full potential and O'Meara turning into the pick for Bowes. Waiting so long for the cream to rise from so many teenagers recruited when they were 17 (the original 17ers) was Bluey's burden and downfall.
Eade wasn't exactly the coaching coup the media played him up to be. There just weren't any elite coaches interested in becoming coach of the Suns and I don't think getting Roos would have made much difference because he wasn't 100% invested at the Demons anyway. Rocket came straight in and laid down his expectations, then when the results didn't come he started making excuses. He didn't build rapport with the players or sustain a culture where the players could develop, so key players started walking out amidst the off-field chaos engulfing the club. You could argue the Eade wasn't responsible, but he didn't do anything to stop the exodus and on field results kept getting worse.
However, any success the Suns achieve this year will be partly attributable to the positive things Eade did for the club. But that is the nature of the AFL. Just ask John Northey, the man who coached the Bears through the merger having achieved a preliminary final and being sacked 2 years later after a wooden spoon season. Leigh Matthews came in and took the team straight back to the Preliminary Final - same result as 96, losing narrowly to the Kangaroos who would go on to win the GF both times. Northey is the 2nd most successful coach in AFL/VFL history not to win a premiership as a coach, while Eade is the 1st. Neither received credit for building the teams they coached, but both had close to 50% win/loss records and took teams to Grand Finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back