VFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Geelong at Olympic Park Oval (Pies WON 91-87 #CatsIrked)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read the last two pages and have no idea how any players went. Did anybody actually watch the game and is prepared to offer some insight?
I'll try and get a review up later tonight unless someone else wants to do one?

EDIT:
Not as dominant display as a team today and there were less standout performers. It really was a battle of quarters with one clear scoring end. I think the VFL bests (A. Gallucci, J. Blair, M. Hore, B. Mihocek, A. Oxley, S. Hetherington) are a reasonable indication although I may have squeezed Fasolo into them.

Oxley - was released onto a wing today and it was one the better games I've seen from him in recent times. As usual uses the footy very well. Deservedly in our best.

Mihocek - beaten a couple of times for height, but he stood tall when it mattered and was sound defensively. A lot cleaner today and I liked his one field instruction to young Brown and Murphy.

Jarryd Blair - never drops his head when demoted and today was no different. Is a dominant mid at this level. Nice volley goal in the second quarter and took a clutch mark jumping onto an opponent in the last quarter.

Fasolo - again didn't receive the best delivery forward, but still kicked a couple of goals. Similar to last week where he spent time up the ground and I think he was good as a high half forward, which included a couple of nice kicks inside 50. Defensive pressure good too.

McLarty - not as dominant aerially as last week, which was probably a result of higher ruck minutes. Some nice aggression though and shouldn't be too far off a debut with another solid game.

Greenwood - played at half back again where he was often the loose man, had a bit of footy albeit he appeared to still be on managed game time.

Sier - even allowing for a quarter forward where he didn't have much impact he didn't get as much outside footy today. Still very good in close though.

Murphy - more footy today with some nice disposals on the outside. Still a while off.

Wills - like Sier not much outside footy, but important inside. With his height I wonder how he would go as a defensive forward.

Brown - looked promising as a defender, at times I thought he was beaten or out of position, but with his long arms and good reading of the play he was able to either mark or impact the contest

Elliott - sat out the first came quarter, came on briefly in the second, tried to take a hanger, got injured

Madgen - one clanger comes to mind, but was ok without being dominant

Hore - backline general, important intercept marks especially in the last, more footy upfield than normal

Gallucci - his pace is a nice point of difference, but today he found himself in the right spots and was a real live wire forward

Last edited:

Sier has to play and faz...sick of saying it
On a side note is oxley a realistic option fir AFL?
On today's form and performing today's role on a wing yes, but I'd like to see him back it up for a few weeks and really demand a game.

I'm definitely not a wanna be MagpieBat. I could never dream of trying to emulate the great.

Just for the record if you're interested in live scores vfl.com.au or the VFL app is the way for you to go. Or the Collingwood Twitter if you want more info. Or follow MagpieBat on Nicks if you want the original and the best.

I'll continue to share my excitement about the VFL team in the BigFooty thread when I am able to go to a game.

I always did like you more than most others...

AdorableIllfatedAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Gee some people like to whinge. Thanks to everyone who posted. Not hard to know that two posts on a Blair goal from a 50 almost at the same time is the one goal.

Only problem is one post said Fasolo goaled. Hence the confusion. I sure as hell know I was. Kept going back to the VFL live scores website to see what was what.

Anyway, we snuck home. Irk who next?

Only problem is one post said Fasolo goaled. Hence the confusion. I sure as hell know I was. Kept going back to the VFL live scores website to see what was what.

Anyway, we snuck home. Irk who next?

Coburg, at Coburg City Oval, 2:10pm on Saturday, Channel 7 game, entree to the seniors at Docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll try and get a review up later tonight unless someone else wants to do one?

EDIT:
Not as dominant display as a team today and there were less standout performers. It really was a battle of quarters with one clear scoring end. I think the VFL bests (A. Gallucci, J. Blair, M. Hore, B. Mihocek, A. Oxley, S. Hetherington) are a reasonable indication although I may have squeezed Fasolo into them.

Oxley - was released onto a wing today and it was one the better games I've seen from him in recent times. As usual uses the footy very well. Deservedly in our best.

Mihocek - beaten a couple of times for height, but he stood tall when it mattered and was sound defensively. A lot cleaner today and I liked his one field instruction to young Brown and Murphy.

Jarryd Blair - never drops his head when demoted and today was no different. Is a dominant mid at this level. Nice volley goal in the second quarter and took a clutch mark jumping onto an opponent in the last quarter.

Fasolo - again didn't receive the best delivery forward, but still kicked a couple of goals. Similar to last week where he spent time up the ground and I think he was good as a high half forward, which included a couple of nice kicks inside 50. Defensive pressure good too.

McLarty - not as dominant aerially as last week, which was probably a result of higher ruck minutes. Some nice aggression though and shouldn't be too far off a debut with another solid game.

Greenwood - played at half back again where he was often the loose man, had a bit of footy albeit he appeared to still be on managed game time.

Sier - even allowing for a quarter forward where he didn't have much impact he didn't get as much outside footy today. Still very good in close though.

Murphy - more footy today with some nice disposals on the outside. Still a while off.

Wills - like Sier not much outside footy, but important inside. With his height I wonder how he would go as a defensive forward.

Brown - looked promising as a defender, at times I thought he was beaten or out of position, but with his long arms and good reading of the play he was able to either mark or impact the contest

Elliott - sat out the first came quarter, came on briefly in the second, tried to take a hanger, got injured

Madgen - one clanger comes to mind, but was ok without being dominant

Hore - backline general, important intercept marks especially in the last, more footy upfield than normal

Gallucci - his pace is a nice point of difference, but today he found himself in the right spots and was a real live wire forward

Wills as a defensive option is interesting. Has the size and tackling, but is he quick enough?

Hore has to be rookie listed at years end. Too good for VFL

Wellings play much inside 50? Laid 11 tackles and can slot them through

Wills as a defensive option is interesting. Has the size and tackling, but is he quick enough?
Pace is the unknown, while a little quicker Macaffer done ok in 2010.
Hore has to be rookie listed at years end. Too good for VFL
Thought he might have been a chance a couple of years ago and even more so last year; at times his formed looked good enough to get a run in the seniors.
Wellings play much inside 50? Laid 11 tackles and can slot them through
Wellings played through the midfield. I was impressed by his tackle stats, as it’s not normally a strength of outside players.

Even if they didn't post the stats I could have told you that Sier and Wills kick to handball ratio was a bit too low. Even if they are playing the dish out to other mids role.

The players I kept noticing doing good things tended to be VFL Players. Gallucci, Hore, and Hetherington all played great games.

The pick of the AFL players for me was Faz. He had a fantastic presence on the field, he could be heard yelling instructions to teammates all day. Its not reflected in his tackle stats but I remember one play where he had to give multiple repeat pressure efforts in the forward 50.
Madgen's presence on the field surprised me. Out of all our category B rookies that we've had over the years he is the one that I see as having the most leadership potential. I look forward to seeing how he develops as a footballer this season.

The players I would have liked to see more from were Sier and McLarty just because of how close I think they are to AFL selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back