Preview Round 6 vs Saints - changes and preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our current lineup and thinking of the changes for next year, it's not too bad.

Hardwick, Brand, and Burton have rebuilt our backline in one swoop. Gibson out for Birchall back.

Midfield defensively loses Hodge and Burgoyne, gains JOM plus depth of JOR, Henderson, Lovell

Forward line loses nobody, Stewart is depth.

Rucks regain Ceglar.
I'd actually keep Hodge for another season to coach the young 'uns down back.

Looking at our current lineup and thinking of the changes for next year, it's not too bad.

Hardwick, Brand, and Burton have rebuilt our backline in one swoop. Gibson out for Birchall back.

Midfield defensively loses Hodge and Burgoyne, gains JOM plus depth of JOR, Henderson, Lovell

Forward line loses nobody, Stewart is depth.

Rucks regain Ceglar.
Where does Timmy O play?

I was worried about tall forwards at the beginning of the year. I was needlessly worried. Rucks/forwards we have

TOB
Schoey
Pitto
Fitz
Ceglar

Jeepers

Hartung has to stay, his run is too valuable and a bit of continuity will be needed if he is ever going to settle. He made some blues but at least he kept taking the game on.

I would like to see Howe stay, when Clarkson started he said to the kids you have x amount of games, don't fret if you don't fire today. If we keep dropping kids after one game we will create panic whenever they are called upon.

I think jom will come in for whoever is most sore. Failing that I still don't think Gibbo has fired but he wasn't a liability this week.
Yup, despite Howe being off the pace i think he should play again. Just look what it did for O'Brien's confidence to tell him, "sure you struggled, but we believe in you. Vickery can play Box Hill"

Hartung and Langford are the conundrums for me. Langford is our best clearance player, but you kind hope he doesn't get the footy as he normally butchers it or makes the wrong decision. Similar in a way to Billy. He provides us with run and carry and last week got a fair bit of the footy as well, but again he doesn't use it well and I winder have we better options at Box Hill.

I don't see O'Meara playing this weekend, so I'd retain Langford for another week, unless they think O'Rourke can do a better job. Could Wilsmore do a better job than Billy?

I wouldn't replace O'Brien as he showed a bit and with confidance high he needs to keep playing. Sicily stays and plays forward again.

Oh,, and retain the intensity from Sunday. We looked switched on from the start, our tackling was first rate, and we ran hard. Not surprising, we were strong in the midfield, our defence got more coverage, that a player like Gibbo played his best game for half a year

A lot of comments here about the out the back goals which are unfortunately a result of the Clarko's cluster. Which is what we are doing straight out of 2008 (we and other clubs have still been doing it from time to time the last few years too)

That being said in 2009 and early 2010 we were getting slammed with it and over the back goals were the issue. Sides learned to play fast break football and got through it too easy. Especially seeing as we had big personal changes and new players learning the structures.

No surprise that when Mitchell was our only first year hawk instead of previous weeks where we had 4 (JOM, Henderson, Vickery) it holds together better.

Now with the out the back goals. I was fortunate enough to be coached by Chris Fagan in 2011 2012 and he explained the cluster or as such. The idea is to make the playing area small around 90 meters so every time a player has to kick he has 18 opponents in kicking distance. This makes it really hard to get the ball forward and results in many turn overs. The other advantage of this is if you turn it over going forward you are set up to pressure and if you regain possession you have players to attack through, you also know exactly where they will (should) be.

Fagan stated that they worked out that the chance of the ball getting past the centre line from a kick out or forward stoppage was reduced significantly. And that if set more players drop back or you make the "bubble" bigger you end up with like 20 inside 50's and 10-15 scoring shots from various means (set shots, open play, snaps, stoppage etc...) yet when dialing up to the pressure and pushing up hard you 1. Create much more scoring opportunities for yourself and 2. Reduce the scoring inside 50 and scoring shots dramatically. But those that get through get easy shots from the goal square.

The problem is instead of having the full back line on the goal line pressuring the shot they are on the wing trying to create a turn over.

Thanks HolyRioli. These types of stats you rarely notice but I'll keep my eyes on his defensive game more now. Just hope his offensive awareness can improve as he'll be very valuable if he keeps up those defensive numbers. I would still like to see him win more of his own ball though, let's hope that comes.
4 clearances as well

Yup, despite Howe being off the pace i think he should play again. Just look what it did for O'Brien's confidence to tell him, "sure you struggled, but we believe in you. Vickery can play Box Hill"

I agree, but O'Meara must bump someone. Unless he doesn't come back in. Perhaps one of the injuries will make room for Jaeger but I don't think any of the injuries are a positional similarity.

Maybe Poppy goes out with a corkie, Howe moves forward and Jaeger comes in (if he returns this week).

A lot of comments here about the out the back goals which are unfortunately a result of the Clarko's cluster. Which is what we are doing straight out of 2008 (we and other clubs have still been doing it from time to time the last few years too)

That being said in 2009 and early 2010 we were getting slammed with it and over the back goals were the issue. Sides learned to play fast break football and got through it too easy. Especially seeing as we had big personal changes and new players learning the structures.

No surprise that when Mitchell was our only first year hawk instead of previous weeks where we had 4 (JOM, Henderson, Vickery) it holds together better.

Now with the out the back goals. I was fortunate enough to be coached by Chris Fagan in 2011 2012 and he explained the cluster or as such. The idea is to make the playing area small around 90 meters so every time a player has to kick he has 18 opponents in kicking distance. This makes it really hard to get the ball forward and results in many turn overs. The other advantage of this is if you turn it over going forward you are set up to pressure and if you regain possession you have players to attack through, you also know exactly where they will (should) be.

Fagan stated that they worked out that the chance of the ball getting past the centre line from a kick out or forward stoppage was reduced significantly. And that if set more players drop back or you make the "bubble" bigger you end up with like 20 inside 50's and 10-15 scoring shots from various means (set shots, open play, snaps, stoppage etc...) yet when dialing up to the pressure and pushing up hard you 1. Create much more scoring opportunities for yourself and 2. Reduce the scoring inside 50 and scoring shots dramatically. But those that get through get easy shots from the goal square.

The problem is instead of having the full back line on the goal line pressuring the shot they are on the wing trying to create a turn over.

Good explanation kazzooka. How many easy over the back goals did we allow the Eagles? About 6-8, well then we must have forced about double that number to be turned back by the press, because that's what we won by. I would also add Howe, with 9 tackles played his part, so I hope he keeps his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice post. I reckon you've got some great posts ahead of you as you teach us what you know. Gold, Jerry.

I agree, but O'Meara must bump someone. Unless he doesn't come back in. Perhaps one of the injuries will make room for Jaeger but I don't think any of the injuries are a positional similarity.

Maybe Poppy goes out with a corkie, Howe moves forward and Jaeger comes in (if he returns this week).

Surely if Poppy is an out, then Stewart comes in for him. Like for Like.

For O'meara to come in, then Howe is an out. That being said, if O'meara is ready to play, then a run at box hill wouldn't hurt him would it? Chance just to get his hands on it and then come in for the Dees game

Langford is our best clearnce player, yes. But he is also our best on the spread over the first 5 rounds. We just can afford to drop him. What we can do is get other good ball users into the team so they can set langford up on the spread and be someone he can dish it off to in the clearance.

Hardwick, TOB, Sicily all into the team is a step in that direction.

OMeara back into the team will help and Orourke provides alot of spread from clearances as well so would take the pressure of Langers. Also shiles/smith continuing to find form.

You will start noticing langfords disposal improving as he continues to shoulder less of the load.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Surely if Poppy is an out, then Stewart comes in for him. Like for Like.

For O'meara to come in, then Howe is an out. That being said, if O'meara is ready to play, then a run at box hill wouldn't hurt him would it? Chance just to get his hands on it and then come in for the Dees game

Yeah, I agree. Perhaps he'll run at BH but I doubt it. You don't drive the Rolls around a dirt track. Dunno.

Now that I think about it again, I think he'll miss another week. Perhaps two. They seem to be very cautious in all the media about him. Plus the win takes off a lot of pressure.

Great post, thought the comment about T Mitchell being the only newbie on Sunday was very relevant, the cluster works a treat if all 18 are committed, if not we have seen what happens in rounds 1-3. I think many lessons were learnt and we should be consistently better from here on in . My take ..

In: O'Meara (if fit)
Out: Howe

Also if Birchall is ready to come back, then I reckon Hardwick makes way. Even though he played well, I'm not sure who else you'd drop? Gibson? Yeah that won't happen.

Saints board want Gilbert to man OBrian and to even ruck against him! LMAO

OBrian would kick 10. The amount of free run and jumps he would get........

Wont happen saint staff cant be as dumb as there supporters right?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back