Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

A week/warning and a suspended sentence would have sent an equally strong message consider the circumstances.
Have to say I thought the same as you initially. I guess as the ruling body the AFL has to take into account all fans and players though. The next person’s idea of a bit of fun may not be the same. Have we heard the fan’s response to the penalty yet?

I’m sure the penalty would have been different if he didn’t have a stupid face. He’s been stereotyped and penalised accordingly.

Bullshit. The same penalty was handed out last year for a lesser act. Your pal got off lightly by showing contrition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a deterrent. The players need to be absolutely protected. And speaking frankly, what kind of an attention-seeking dickhead thinks it’s a good idea to embrace a player mid-game?

I think it was nothing more than an opportunistic gesture.
Player ran to him after the ball.
No abuse, a smile and rub on the head.....

Two humans interacting in an casual non-threatening way for a brief instant.

More of that in the world and Israel are not murdering children in Palestine.

More about what might have happened and to send the message that it is completely unacceptable.

He is going to miss what, 8 home games?

To a die hard fan, half a season is a lot. Plus factor in finals. I would be gutted with the that ban. Unless all the games were at docklands lol

Based on the apology you had thought he had killed someone.

It can’t be consistent without taking the circumstances into account. That makes no sense at all
He reached over and touched a player. Anyone who does that gets the 1 year ban. His circumstances got it reduced to 6 months with 6 months suspended, because he wasn't malicious.

Last edited:
Bullshit. The same penalty was handed out last year for a lesser act. Your pal got off lightly by showing contrition.

No need to swear or start calling him my pal. Try and keep it civil, it’s a difference of opinion

The circumstance is you cannot touch a player during the game. Simple.

If they give this bloke only a week, what's to stop supporters doing it every game, every week?
Deterrents are fine, proportional to the action.
This is disproportionate.

He reached over and touched a player. Anyone who does that gets the 1 year ban. His circumstances got it reduced to 6 months with 6 months suspended, because he wasn't malicious.
I think it should have been one match or even zero matches with 12 months suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deterrents are fine, proportional to the action.
This is disproportionate.
The action is a supporter touching a player during a game. That's it.

The punishment is a 12 month ban.

He should think himself extremely lucky he only got a 6 month suspended ban.

Do we want supporters doing this every week? At every game? If they don't give out lengthy bans every attention seeking moron would be doing it at every match.

Every time a player goes to the boundary line near the fence we'd have some dipstick rubbing the player's head as they're lining up for goal.

It's why the invading the field fines are so hefty.

I think it should have been one match or even zero matches with 12 months suspended.
It doesn't matter what you think.

The rules clearly state 1 year, he was lucky to get half of that suspended.

The action is a supporter touching a player during a game. That's it.

The punishment is a 12 month ban.

He should think himself extremely lucky he only got a 6 month suspended ban.

Do we want supporters doing this every week? At every game? If they don't give out lengthy bans every attention seeking moron would be doing it at every match.

Every time a player goes to the boundary line near the fence we'd have some dipstick rubbing the player's head as they're lining up for goal.

It's why the invading the field fines are so hefty.
I don't doubt the AFL has the rule.

I am saying they are wrong in this particular case. It is disproportionate.

There are a fair few stupid things the AFL do that I disagree with.
I'm not going to accept they are right just fo rht hell of it..
These decisions are made by people just like me, many of whom have far less experience in life than me....(the advantage of age).
I actually get paid a substantial amount to give people my advice based on my experience.
That's how the world actually works.

People make stuff up, some times they stuff up the things they make up, other people tell them where they stuffed up and they change the stuff they made up to be less of a stuff up.

Last edited:
It’s a deterrent. The players need to be absolutely protected. And speaking frankly, what kind of an attention-seeking dickhead thinks it’s a good idea to embrace a player mid-game?

Watched on TV they followed this guy whenever a a goal was scored etc .
Just wondering if his mates sent him a text to notify him the cameras are on him etc mates being mates.
But totally agree with your comment.

I don't doubt the AFL has the rule.

I am saying they are wrong. It is disproportionate.

There are a fair few stupid things the AFL do that I disagree with.
I'm not going to accept they are right just fo rht hell of it..
These decisions are made by people just like me, many of whom have far less experience in life than me....(the advantage of age).
I actually get paid a substantial amount to give people my advice based on my experience.
That's how the world actually works.

People make stuff up, some times they stuff up the things they make up, other people tell them where they stuffed up and they change the stuff they made up to be less of a stuff up.
I guess that made sense to you when you wrote it.

Don't agree at all.
Absolutely nothing even remotely malicious in his actions.
Week ban max with 12 months suspended as a deterrent for others.

Over the top kneejerk reaction.
It’s not about malice, it’s about risk management.

Don't agree at all.
Absolutely nothing even remotely malicious in his actions.
Week ban max with 12 months suspended as a deterrent for others.

Over the top kneejerk reaction.
It’s not about whether it’s malicious, it’s about setting a precedent. People see that sort of punishment handed down and suddenly they’re like “oh ok I can touch a player and as long as it’s not malicious all I get is a week off the footy and good behaviour”.

Touching players without them initiating the contact is not on. Banning them for the season if they do it is an excellent deterrent, and saying it’s over the top is short sighted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back