Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The punishment needed to be strong enough to act as a deterrent, not just for the fan involved on this occasion, but also to AFL fans in general.

If the AFL’s primary concern was regarding the risk posed by this particular fan, they could give him a lighter punishment or a suspended punishment, and then hit him with something tougher on a repeat offence.

However then every other footy fan could do the same thing knowing that they would get leniency on the first occasion, effectively “starting from scratch” each time.

This incident needed to serve as the “fair warning” for every AFL fan attending games across the entire country. It couldn’t be simply a slap on the wrist.

As it should have been given the Pickett incident was different in terms of Pickett having his back to the fence and a lot more malicious in terms of it going hand in hand with a verbal spray. But not light enough. Yes it’s the end of my argument. Been done enough. Don’t know why you can’t just agree to disagree.
Because you persist in coming up with specious argument that needs to be dismissed so it doesn't infect others on BF.

Needed some sort of punishment but I feel sorry for the lad. Seems like a nice bloke.

He also provided one of the great player-fan interactions with Bailey Smith recently too 😂

The punishment needed to be strong enough to act as a deterrent, not just for the fan involved on this occasion, but also to AFL fans in general.

If the AFL’s primary concern was regarding the risk posed by this particular fan, they could give him a lighter punishment or a suspended punishment, and then hit him with something tougher on a repeat offence.

However then every other footy fan could do the same thing knowing that they would get leniency on the first occasion, effectively “starting from scratch” each time.

This incident needed to serve as the “fair warning” for every AFL fan attending games across the entire country. It couldn’t be simply a slap on the wrist.

Yep, this. I think the penalty given the circumstances is harsh. But it needed to be. Hopefully it will bring an end to players being touch by supporters during games. At VFL games supporters are allowed onto the oval for the breaks and get to mingle with players but even in those situations fans know not to touch players. Be a shame it that interaction was ever to end.

Yep, this. I think the penalty given the circumstances is harsh. But it needed to be. Hopefully it will bring an end to players being touch by supporters during games. At VFL games supporters are allowed onto the oval for the breaks and get to mingle with players but even in those situations fans know not to touch players. Be a shame it that interaction was ever to end.
I just have to compare it to their drug policy. The AFL is more than happy to protect it's brand and save humiliation for the players but when it comes to the public, who without, the AFL would fold, they are happy to name and shame a dude who had no malicious intent and didn't make a racist or homophobic remark. The penalty had to be given but the double standards are laughable. Anyone who has working in the Drug and Alcohol sector will tell you that there is a database that you can look up and see anyone who has had treatment for drugs and the list is huge.

I just have to compare it to their drug policy. The AFL is more than happy to protect it's brand and save humiliation for the players but when it comes to the public, who without, the AFL would fold, they are happy to name and shame a dude who had no malicious intent and didn't make a racist or homophobic remark. The penalty had to be given but the double standards are laughable. Anyone who has working in the Drug and Alcohol sector will tell you that there is a database that you can look up and see anyone who has had treatment for drugs and the list is huge.
He did it on TV 😆

Name & shame? I don't know his name, but I sure as hell would be able recognise him down the street. None of that is the fault of the AFL.

He did it on TV 😆

Name & shame? I don't know his name, but I sure as hell would be able recognise him down the street. None of that is the fault of the AFL.
Is it because of the face tattoos that you would recognise him? I bet you don't recognise who the AFL is covering up with it's drug policy though.

Is it because of the face tattoos that you would recognise him? I bet you don't recognise who the AFL is covering up with it's drug policy though.
I'm not sure you understand the AFL drug policy.

And yeah, I would recognise him because of his face tattoos. 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back