Sam Newman "probably" retiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam says that everyone who participated in "Street Talk" never complained. Personally i find that hard to believe.... but Sam says that the absence of complaints from the participants is evidence that Street Talk was harmless fun.

But when people do complain about Sam he always says they have an agenda and are censoring him.

I see a contradiction.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but I ended up just not tuning in to the show after a while.
Nothing against it, it just got a bit stale.
Newman is a different cat, but apparently he is a very genuine and good fella off-screen.
He was always prepared to speak his mind, rate that despite not agreeing with a fair bit of it.
Good luck to them.

I get quite amused when people say The Footy Show is past its used by date? What does that mean ? Is footy itself past its used by date? Not according to this weekends expected attendance and nationwide interest. The Footy Show is a "footy themed" light entertainment show, that has been sabotaged by the agenda seekers and PC police who have successfully neutered Sam and his home truths for years and we all know nobody likes the truth. Footy will be the big loser here. The wowsers will be happy.
Why do people always confuse 'home truths' with 'someone's opinion'?

Who can ever forget his compassion for the less privileged on "Street Talk". Like kicking a bloke on the ground for fun! s**t bloke!
Wow loosen those panties from your arse. As he said in his speech, they all seemed perfectly happy to be on the show, no? No one held a gun to their head forcing them on street talk.

Sorry I can’t stomach poindexter Andy Maher and that other fat dickhead on the front bar. Free speech, rite or wrong will probably end when Sam leaves the screen
It's quite concerning that you believe Sam Newman is the last bastion of free speech. Remember, this is the same guy who fans always claim Is 'playing a character' and he's actually a 'great bloke' off camera. So it's only on camera that Sam is an archaic bigot - apparently.

I watch the front bar instead of the footy show & haven’t watched the footy show for 3 years but Sam deserves credit for his footy show career - successful show but is well past it’s best.

Personally I like the Grant Thomas podcast with Newman & Sheahan though.

I didn't mind Sam, at least he was a character, footy needs more of them on and off field
he was a character and funny many years ago.

Unfortunately his character has got old and outdated yet he still held onto it for 10-15 years too long.

This show has been dead for 10 years. Thank god the execs finally put it out of its misery

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no clue he (or The Footy Show) was still on air. Up in the northern states it a very late night timeslot, and even towards the end of the 00s it was growing stale. The NRL Footy Show doesn't seem to have anywhere near the pop cultural appeal it once had either.

Both were solid for what they were, but the internet allowed you to talk with intelligent footy observers (rather than suffer through Sam and his minders, and players who mostly seem reluctant to be there), and there went my interest.

Marngrook gets a lot more FTA exposure, I think it supplanted the Footy Show by 2011 in the northern states.

Hats off to Sam for a long career in the public eye, and he played a role on the show which kept it going, but this represents the end of an era which was well overdue. His attitudes clearly fossilized more quickly (and senselessly) than his looks.

Gilbert really had to move on after his Marngrook 2017 (it was getting embarrassing), and Sam had reached diva territory, best to leave on his "own terms" rather than being axed.

Last edited:
I get quite amused when people say The Footy Show is past its used by date? What does that mean ? Is footy itself past its used by date? Not according to this weekends expected attendance and nationwide interest. The Footy Show is a "footy themed" light entertainment show, that has been sabotaged by the agenda seekers and PC police who have successfully neutered Sam and his home truths for years and we all know nobody likes the truth. Footy will be the big loser here. The wowsers will be happy.
Could you talk anymore s**t if you tried?

The show is dead because people have stopped watching it. Better alternatives after The Footy Show went through multiple hosts, got rid of their comedian and wasn’t nearly as much as the go to show for players to go on anymore. Their material the last few years was dressing Shane up as a sick old person for *s sake. Not even remotely funny.

But nah it’s all some big political conspiracy.

Please.

I knew a guy who was interviewed for a Street Talk segment in Dandenong many years ago.

Remember how they used to anchor a Street Talk segment around one or two interviews i.e. keep coming back to the same interview spliced among several others?

Well the guy I knew was the 'anchor' of the segment. Made a bit of a dill of himself. Funny stuff.

He was rapt. On top of the world that week, receiving SMS messages from everybody. This was pre facebook of course.

Anyway it was a real 'fifteen minutes of fame' for him.

He knew he was made to look silly but enjoyed the attention all the same.

What's the problem with that?
The problem is people taking the piss out of people that don’t understand they’re getting the piss taken from them.

I had no clue he (or The Footy Show) was still on air. Up in the northern states it a very late night timeslot, and even towards the end of the 00s it was growing stale. The NRL Footy Show doesn't seem to have anywhere near the pop cultural appeal it once had either.

Both were solid for what they were, but the internet allowed you to talk with intelligent footy observers (rather than suffer through Sam and his minders, and players who mostly seem reluctant to be there), and there went my interest.

Marngrook gets a lot more FTA exposure, I think it supplanted the Footy Show by 2011 in the northern states.

Hats off to Sam for a long career in the public eye, and he played a role on the show which kept it going, but this represents the end of an era which was well overdue. His attitudes clearly fossilized more quickly (and senselessly) than his looks.

Gilbert really had to move on after his Marngrook 2017 (it was getting embarrassing), and Sam had reached diva territory, best to leave on his "own terms" rather than being axed.

What was the knock on Gilbert in 2017 Roobs ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What was the knock on Gilbert in 2017 Roobs ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
More a personal observation, not that he did anything remotely wrong or scandalous. He was always the comic relief, the panel goof, but by 2017 even this had devolved into something really awkward and lacking professionalism. It got to the point where I had to look away whenever he spoke, had to give an opinion, etc. Maybe he just had a bad year?

I've seen him do a boundary rider gig or two this year, which is cool, but I was relieved when I heard he had moved on from the show/been swapped out, it was really starting to drag down the rest of the panel for mine. A shame, as he is a very likeable guy, but his ability to hold a footy conversation without losing the plot was poor by then. I hate that feeling you get on footy show panels when you wonder if someone watches more than several neutral AFL games a season.

Mind you, Kickett isn't much of a replacement.

Last edited:
Sam was one of the few people left in the media that wasn't afraid to call out the AFL for their bullshit and slam their ridiculous rule changes/woeful umpiring so in that respect it would be a shame to see him go but The Footy Show is definitely past it's use by date and Sam is no longer as entertaining as he used to be.

Like a lot of people I gave up watching The Footy Show in favour of watching The Front Bar when they went head to head so I won't miss it if it gets axed.

Wow loosen those panties from your arse. As he said in his speech, they all seemed perfectly happy to be on the show, no? No one held a gun to their head forcing them on street talk.
Come on dude, did you notice he would never interview educated or successful people on that segment? It was always a cheap way to poke fun at disabled people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back