Sam Newman "probably" retiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Commercial TV would show two dogs going at it if they thought it would rate. If the ratings are not there, neither is the show. Or are there thousands of people who don’t watch because they are worried about being seen doing it?

No, they're not watching for one basic reason; it's s**t.

So far the footy show dying has been blamed on:
- Agenda seekers
- The PC police
- The rise of the Internet

Anyone got any others? I would like to add another one
- It hasn't been funny in years and Sam has become an embarrassing old man

you had a very, very strange way of interpreting Sam's words. obviously an agenda of your own

wasn't the "agenda seekers" bit specifically about how in this day and age of political correctness they got complaints about Street Talk and had to can it? nothing to do with "the footy show dying" lol, you just took those 2 words and ran!

Quoted for truth.

Even as a politically left-leaning person it is easy for me to see how the ill-informed PC warriors are ruining it for everyone. If you want evidence of this then look no further than the moronic outrage in some quarters over Mark Knight's caricature of Serena Williams last week. Sam too is often (although not always) unfairly maligned for his views and singled out by those who have nothing better to do with their sorry, pathetic lives.

Sam Newman is old, tired and probably went on for too long. I think that once he stopped really watching the game his commentary on it became somewhat infused with bitterness. At that point he largely became the comic relief on the show which worked well for a while but eventually became tired. In his prime though, he was compelling viewing. His knowledge of the game was excellent and he was never afraid to put across an unpopular opinion or ask the tough question.

I will miss him.
I agree. Sam has been beaten down by his superiors who he has never bagged on air anyway. I know he's had several run ins with them in the past over content. They decided to scrap Street Talk which was the most popular segment on the show and Sam has never been happy with that, they moved the show to 8.30pm in order to tone him down and it's effectively destroyed the chemistry that made the show compulsory viewing in the first place. A lot has changed in 25 years and not for the better i might add! Australians have lost the ability to laugh at themselves and our way of life. The truth hurts a lot in 2018.
Hopefully he will continue in some way, his interviews are excellent viewing.

Never really watched the show but that Culture Club Karma Chameleon skit around Karmichael Hunt was an instant classic.

"Karma Karma Karma Karma Karmichael Hunt, blew all that dough, straight up his nose"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but the jokes on The Front Bar are actually funny which makes them more palatable, The Footy Show stopped being funny a long time ago.
They're not jokes. Mick Malloy is making fun of people. If I want a laugh, I'll watch 2 1/2 Men.

Sam I know but who is this Eric MacKenzie you speak of
Your not expected to know someone with talent re football seeing as you have obviously settled for mediocrity your whole life going for Saint Kilda

It's quite concerning that you believe Sam Newman is the last bastion of free speech. Remember, this is the same guy who fans always claim Is 'playing a character' and he's actually a 'great bloke' off camera. So it's only on camera that Sam is an archaic bigot - apparently.
sorry I don’t consider abc or walleed peddling their leftist agenda as free speech, each to their own tho

I agree. Sam has been beaten down by his superiors who he has never bagged on air anyway. I know he's had several run ins with them in the past over content. They decided to scrap Street Talk which was the most popular segment on the show and Sam has never been happy with that, they moved the show to 8.30pm in order to tone him down and it's effectively destroyed the chemistry that made the show compulsory viewing in the first place. A lot has changed in 25 years and not for the better i might add! Australians have lost the ability to laugh at themselves and our way of life. The truth hurts a lot in 2018.
Hopefully he will continue in some way, his interviews are excellent viewing.
No the show is s**t and better alternatives became available.

I'd just change the format to something akin to the old Sunday footy show. It needs that looseness and relaxed humour back, just takes itself a bit too seriously these days. Doesn't hook the viewers in like it could. There is nothing wrong with trying new ideas.

I haven't watched a full episode since the early 2000s.

The format that made it good to begin with just isn't there anymore, it's sterile and formulated.

It was at it's best when Dunstall and Trevor/bar were there to help and the synthesis was right on.

The Sunday footy show was the best though, that was easily the best format.

However, The Front Bar is doing a better job at it these days.

hmm do I spend the time to construct a valid argument or just let you have the Win.. congrats
Judging by your posting I’m not sure you have one.

A person making a right or left wing statement is most definitely considered “free speech”. To suggest otherwise shows that you don’t actually understand what free speech is (hint: it’s not being able to say anything without consequence or rebuttal)

The reason why they came there so often was because the Footscray TAFE had a course (Certificate 1 in Life Skills or something similar) targetted at people with intellectual disabilities and a group of them could always be found in the Mall at lunchtime.

I'm sure it was :rolleyes:

Just trying to think what Dunstall might say now, seeing as when he was on the show it was at it's best.
maybe he'd say "Try a sunday footy show formula or just move on, there are plenty of other decent footy shows around. Big woop!", "Get over yourselves"...

Please, what bullshit.

The only thing that’s changed is those who are discriminated against or the butt of jokes speak up for themselves a bit more.

People can say what they like - but if they get a response don’t start crying.

No they can't, that leads to the second part of that sentence.

People start pissing and moaning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back