Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

So far you've compared Reid with a bunch of the AFL's best forwards then against an All-Australian.
Call me a hater if you want, but if you make that statement you are really calling for some "lesser" comparisons to be made:

Tyrone "spud" Vickery was regarded as playing like a complete hack in 2016. He averaged 1.5 goals per game, ahead of Reid's career best year. That is 3 years in a row where Vickery has averaged more goals than Reid's best year.

Mason Cox, an American convert who had literally never picked up a Sherrin 3 years ago, also averaged more goals than Reid's career best.

Josh Walker, a good honest trier but a desperately limited footballer, also outdid Reid's best year in 2016 despite the massive handicap of playing for Brisbane.

Jay Schulz, another good honest trier, rattled off 7 consecutive seasons better than Reid's best ever, and was the leading goalscorer for his club 4 times.

Ben Brown, a good comparison because he was taken at a very similar point in the draft to Reid, shot past him in his 1st season and has outperformed Reid's best year in all 3 years of his career.

Jack Redpath, a former rookie-lister who has only played 25 games at the age of 26, averaged more goals in the past 2 years than Reid's best season.

Now I know goal stats aren't everything, and they're certainly no match for cherry picking a mark on the goal line or making vague statements like "watch the game and you'll see X player is better", but you'll agree I have not exactly listed the AFL's best forwards or All-Australians.

Call me a hater if you want, but if you make that statement you are really calling for some "lesser" comparisons to be made:

Tyrone "spud" Vickery was regarded as playing like a complete hack in 2016. He averaged 1.5 goals per game, ahead of Reid's career best year. That is 3 years in a row where Vickery has averaged more goals than Reid's best year.

Mason Cox, an American convert who had literally never picked up a Sherrin 3 years ago, also averaged more goals than Reid's career best.

Josh Walker, a good honest trier but a desperately limited footballer, also outdid Reid's best year in 2016 despite the massive handicap of playing for Brisbane.

Jay Schulz, another good honest trier, rattled off 7 consecutive seasons better than Reid's best ever, and was the leading goalscorer for his club 4 times.

Ben Brown, a good comparison because he was taken at a very similar point in the draft to Reid, shot past him in his 1st season and has outperformed Reid's best year in all 3 years of his career.

Jack Redpath, a former rookie-lister who has only played 25 games at the age of 26, averaged more goals in the past 2 years than Reid's best season.

Now I know goal stats aren't everything, and they're certainly no match for cherry picking a mark on the goal line or making vague statements like saying "watch the game and you'll see X player is better", but you'll agree I have not exactly listed the AFL's best forwards or All-Australians.

But he has had injuries but is not injury prone and is young :p

Reid needs to average 16 disposals 8-10 marks and 2 goals a game and play 95 percent of games to have a good year

2016 averages -

Jeremy Cameron averages: 11 disposals, 4 marks, 3 goals

Jack Gunston: 16 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals

Tom Lynch: 16 disposals, 7 marks, 3 goals

Jack Reiwoldt: 14 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals

Lance Franklin: 17 disposals, 6 marks, 3 goals

Your expectations of Reid are very high. If you want him to virtually elevate his game (at least statistically) to play at/out perform the level of those guys, you're expecting too way too much from him. Reid is not going to get to their level, unless something amazing happens.

20 odd games of 13 disposals, 5 marks, 1.8ish goals (which equals a 35 odd goals season, and is around Jack Darlings 2016 games averages) is more realistic and still an upgrade on what we had last year. I'd call those numbers a 'good' year from him. If he out performs that, then he's starting to around the averages of some of the better forwards in the comp, which would be fantastic and I certainly wouldn't have seen it coming.

He's not as bad as some people are making him out to be, and he is an upgrade on some of the other bottom 6 players who come in and out of the side and who played in the GF, but he's far, far from the saviour I've seen some people other are making him out to be too.

He's frustrating for sure for every 'very good' games he plays e.g the first game against Freo in 2015, there's probably 2 games equally as bad + 1 only okish game. He's also one of the only KPF's on the list (very thin in that department) so as a matter of circumstance he's almost automatic best 22 in 17 regardless of form which is a worry.

It seems he'll never he the star he looked like becoming in 11-12, right now I'd settle if he could just bring somewhere near what LRT gave us in 2012 - which admittedly doesn't look impressive on paper 10 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal - but we all know it was much better than that. No star but a dependable swingman. Would need to bring a little more physicality into his game though.

Too much concern over a bloke who can't get on the park through no fault of his own other than genetics, which ironically, is the very reason he is being judged the way he is. Takes a big grab. Runs like the wind. Has a great tank.

Vickery -pick 8 in the draft.
Reid - pick 38 in the draft.

Reid made a good contribution in our p'ship year & in the GF itself.
Could have made a difference in this year's GF.
A young man who still has plenty to offer our club.

Now I know goal stats aren't everything, and they're certainly no match for cherry picking a mark on the goal line or making vague statements like "watch the game and you'll see X player is better", but you'll agree I have not exactly listed the AFL's best forwards or All-Australians.
An impressive collection of straw men. You name a few key position forwards who unlike Reid have not been played up the ground or in defence and compare goal stats. There is more sliding in this argument than in the Bulldogs midfield.

An impressive collection of straw men. You name a few key position forwards who unlike Reid have not been played up the ground or in defence and compare goal stats. There is more sliding in this argument than in the Bulldogs midfield.
I'm actually referencing 2012 where we are regularly told he "carried the premiership forward line" and was the CHF all year. The Inside Football team agree that he played as a forward
upload_2017-1-21_15-54-2.png

Sometimes its useful to look up from a stats sheet and use some knowledge of the game to assess a footballer and his or her potential and contribution.

Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You started it. Mine has more than 3 characters, what's your excuse?

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Too busy trying to find evidence of Sam being the team's ever greatest CHF, who would have nudged the swans to victory in the gf with his career average of 1 goal per game.

Too busy trying to find evidence of Sam being the team's ever greatest CHF, who would have nudged the swans to victory in the gf with his career average of 1 goal per game.
No one has ever suggested that he is the second coming of Jesus. A decent player capable of contributing and not deserving of the hate he cops? Yes.

No one has ever suggested that he is the second coming of Jesus. A decent player capable of contributing and not deserving of the hate he cops? Yes.

Should be traded or delisted imo

He's actually worse than White.

StrawMan2.jpg

He doesnt cop hate

He is one of the most loved players on the side

Too much concern over a bloke who can't get on the park through no fault of his own other than genetics, which ironically, is the very reason he is being judged the way he is. Takes a big grab. Runs like the wind. Has a great tank.

Vickery -pick 8 in the draft.
Reid - pick 38 in the draft.

Reid made a good contribution in our p'ship year & in the GF itself.
Could have made a difference in this year's GF.
A young man who still has plenty to offer our club.

Injury prone ? When someone suggested that it was hey he played 20 games a year

So we can only compare Reid to people drafted lower than him? How about Taylor walker then year older but had injury problems too

Should be traded or delisted imo

He's actually worse than White.

Problem is club saw him as a great white hope and signed him long term, think they are desperate to make it work, not much difference between him and XR really, just stuck with this terrible contract

2016 averages -

Jeremy Cameron averages: 11 disposals, 4 marks, 3 goals

Jack Gunston: 16 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals

Tom Lynch: 16 disposals, 7 marks, 3 goals

Jack Reiwoldt: 14 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals

Lance Franklin: 17 disposals, 6 marks, 3 goals

Your expectations of Reid are very high. If you want him to virtually elevate his game (at least statistically) to play at/out perform the level of those guys, you're expecting too way too much from him. Reid is not going to get to their level, unless something amazing happens.

20 odd games of 13 disposals, 5 marks, 1.8ish goals (which equals a 35 odd goals season, and is around Jack Darlings 2016 games averages) is more realistic and still an upgrade on what we had last year. I'd call those numbers a 'good' year from him. If he out performs that, then he's starting to around the averages of some of the better forwards in the comp, which would be fantastic and I certainly wouldn't have seen it coming.

He's not as bad as some people are making him out to be, and he is an upgrade on some of the other bottom 6 players who come in and out of the side and who played in the GF, but he's far, far from the saviour I've seen some people other are making him out to be too.

He's frustrating for sure for every 'very good' games he plays e.g the first game against Freo in 2015, there's probably 2 games equally as bad + 1 only okish game. He's also one of the only KPF's on the list (very thin in that department) so as a matter of circumstance he's almost automatic best 22 in 17 regardless of form which is a worry.

It seems he'll never he the star he looked like becoming in 11-12, right now I'd settle if he could just bring somewhere near what LRT gave us in 2012 - which admittedly doesn't look impressive on paper 10 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal - but we all know it was much better than that. No star but a dependable swingman. Would need to bring a little more physicality into his game though.

Im setting some parameters other than ohh he looks good , is young etc thats all

Seems Reid cannot be compared to any position or player then

Massive Tank just coveres the whole ground at the same time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back