Play Nice Scott Morrison - How Long? Part 6 - Prosperity Theology, The Coal Man + His Bootlickers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were several reasons for that but the 1970s economy was not a healthy economy.

The 1970s economy (stagflation) was caused by an external energy shock.

As I've explained elsewhere, this led to lots of money chasing a scarce resource (oil), which diverted money from other sectors of the economy (especially consumer discretionary), increasing unemployment and causing a recession. The issue was made worse because oil/fuel is largely inelastic, in that demand for it remains roughly the same no matter what it costs.

I'm not saying there won't be the odd inflationary spike or energy shock in the future, but IMO our future is largely disinflationary with low inflation and interest rates. This is because inflation occurs when too much money chases too few goods, which won't really be the case because young people won't have that much money to begin with given the increasing casualisation/obsolescence of the workforce - unless they borrow it from banks at the aforementioned low interest rates (and almost certainly looser lending conditions). Young people not having that much money would cause inventory/goods to remain at a healthy level, if not pile up over time (inelastic goods notwithstanding).

On the Novak thing, I have an idea what may have occurred.

The TA and VIC panels deal with all exemption requests to appear at the Grand Slam, including those from Australian players travelling from interstate. So they have determined individually what they are prepared to tolerate as an exemption to appear for Australians and internationals, with the assumption that overseas arrivals would first ensure their eligibility to cross the international border

Maybe that’s a stupid thought. I think it might be

As I've explained elsewhere, this led to lots of money chasing a scarce resource (oil), which diverted money from other sectors of the economy (especially consumer discretionary), increasing unemployment and causing a recession. The issue was made worse because oil/fuel is largely inelastic, in that demand for it remains roughly the same no matter what it costs.

I'm not saying there won't be the odd inflationary spike or energy shock in the future, but IMO our future is largely disinflationary with low inflation and interest rates. This is because inflation occurs when too much money chases too few goods, which won't really be the case because young people won't have that much money to begin with given the increasing casualisation/obsolescence of the workforce - unless they borrow it from banks at the aforementioned low interest rates (and almost certainly looser lending conditions). Young people not having that much money would cause inventory/goods to remain at a healthy level, if not pile up over time (inelastic goods notwithstanding).

yes, but not quite 100%. it was the kicker, but the USA had been running a red hot economy back to Kennedy (he actually fought the fed in an attempt to keep interest rates low against all economic advice). then add in Vietnam, the gold standard, and it meant the west was in the worst position possible when the first oil shock occurred

No Malcolm, we expect the right decision.

LOL. Take a shot at the guy highlighting the hypocrisy of the PM instead of the lying politics of the PM. Idiocy.

'No Prime Minister, we expect you to follow the laws of our country.' is the right answer.

Not shifting your media position from hour to hour, and day to day, just because it suits your political agenda of the moment.

Cynical it may seem but I reckon the reason for that shift in public position is pretty clear isn't it?

Last edited:

The TA and VIC panels deal with all exemption requests to appear at the Grand Slam, including those from Australian players travelling from interstate. So they have determined individually what they are prepared to tolerate as an exemption to appear for Australians and internationals, with the assumption that overseas arrivals would first ensure their eligibility to cross the international border

Yeah, I don't understand how hard it is for people to grasp that TA and the Vic Govt set up a process to get exemptions to play if unvaccinated, but that this has absolutely no bearing on the Commonwealth Visa requirements to enter the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to my point about reinfection and that it’ll be more like the tide than a wave & that Scumo is in election mode trying to sell us I’ll get us through this and it’s over.

“The president of Poland has tested positive for coronavirus for a second time, after several people around him were infected. Andrzej Duda previously caught Covid in October 2020.”

Re-infection will occur. He’s trying to bs us through this. Full stop. We’ve had two years to prepare for this and it’s a complete ******* mess.

Yeah, I don't understand how hard it is for people to grasp that TA and the Vic Govt set up a process to get exemptions to play if unvaccinated, but that this has absolutely no bearing on the Commonwealth Visa requirements to enter the country.
which is exactly what jaala pulford said on radio this morning .... folk can criticise her media skills all they like (not you - but others on here) .... but thats exactly what she said

Further to my point about reinfection and that it’ll be more like the tide than a wave & that Scumo is in election mode trying to sell us I’ll get us through this and it’s over.

“The president of Poland has tested positive for coronavirus for a second time, after several people around him were infected. Andrzej Duda previously caught Covid in October 2020.”

Re-infection will occur. He’s trying to bs us through this. Full stop. We’ve had two years to prepare for this and it’s a complete ******* mess.
Agree, I would love to see the announcement by Greg Hunt (?) that Scumo has tested positive to COVID-19 and is isolating from Jenny and the girls.

I have this vision of Novak rocking up clutching his letter from TA saying he can play with the idea that would suffice

Agree, I would love to see the announcement that Scumo has tested positive to COVID-19.
The question is if your an LNP voter. Do you trust Scumo on healthcare taking into account covid will not be over come election time? Do you trust Scumo to steer us through the next tide of covid?

That's about right.

As someone who has assisted overseas trade missions entering Australia, the process and legal responsibilities are unequivocal under our constitution and relevant legislation.

The exemption process managed by Tennis Australia and Vic Govt was purely to allow him to play in the Aust Open under tournament and state government rules and to assist (as an intermediary) in the visa application process managed by the Federal Government to enable him to enter Australia.

The Federal Government, via the Australian Border Force & Dept Home Affairs, has total control over the issue of visas and verifying the claims and statements made in the provision of visas once the applicant arrived at an Australian entry point.

There is NO confusion in our laws about who has responsibility for entry to Australia - regardless of who they are and their reason for wishing to enter Australia.

The confusion arises from politicians and bureaucrats playing politics for the media.

And on this occasion this includes the Prime Minister.

Last edited:

The other factor that gets overlooked was the US moving from the gold standard to a flat currency.

yes, but not quite 100%. it was the kicker, but the USA had been running a red hot economy back to Kennedy (he actually fought the fed in an attempt to keep interest rates low against all economic advice). then add in Vietnam, the gold standard, and it meant the west was in the worst position possible when the first oil shock occurred

It might have been Nixon that pressured the federal reserve to keep rates low because America didn't have high inflation in the Kennedy years.

Morrisons been caught out lying again.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says world tennis No. 1 Novak Djokovic never had a proper medical exemption to enter Australia as the superstar considers a federal court challenge to his ban.

Mr Morrison backtracked on comments he made on Wednesday when he tried to push responsibility for the saga onto the Labor-led Victorian government, saying he had obtained more facts since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back