Toast Scott Pendlebury captain with Steele and Taylor deputising

Remove this Banner Ad

Adams is nothing like Shaw.
I totally agree with you. Sometimes posters forget that despite being a very good player Shaw brought a lot more headaches to the table that Adams. I can only recall one incident off field regarding Adams but the list is much longer with Shaw and that is only the ones that hit the media and does not include those that have been covered up by the club and especially MM.

On field, Shaw has changed but as was evidenced against us last year and in the prelim is still capable of losing it.

As to the slight change in Shaw since going to the GWS, maybe he was given an ultimatum?
I know if I was I would work very hard to change or control my actions.

I quite like the idea of only three in the leadership group and the three appointed are pretty good given the turnover in players.
Only one I would have added would have been Treloar but given this is only his second year, his time will come.

That's just so far off the mark!

Both are prone to WTF moments (seriously what was Adams thinking kneeing Westoff?), both are lads off the field (Adams rap sheet is worse), both instruct on the field (as above), I wouldn't put either in front of a camera and both would bleed/ bled for the club.

They play different roles and have different relationships with the current coach which is about the end of their differences!

There is one major difference. Adams would never let his frustration with teammates or the umpires cause him to make horrific brain farts that cost the team games. To be fair on Shaw he has cleaned that side of his game up but in my mind Adams is a far superior leader.

That's just so far off the mark!

Both are prone to WTF moments (seriously what was Adams thinking kneeing Westoff?), both are lads off the field (Adams rap sheet is worse), both instruct on the field (as above), I wouldn't put either in front of a camera and both would bleed/ bled for the club.

They play different roles and have different relationships with the current coach which is about the end of their differences!
Adams' A LOT worse off field than Shaws yet we sack Shaw and make Adams a Captain. Go figure. Can't work that out. Shaw must be ropeable. Shaw should've been pies Captain.

We've had this discussion before so I won't rehash it other than to say he hasn't been a distraction up north or under MM? Perhaps it was simply that a group of people didn't know how to manage him and attempted to control rather than embrace...

FWIW I think we'd see a different attitude towards him were he to be traded back today because people have matured in their roles, IMO.

You don't think Shaw's gambling suspension was a distraction? Or the little incident with the parked cars?

Adams' A LOT worse off field than Shaws yet we sack Shaw and make Adams a Captain. Go figure. Can't work that out. Shaw must be ropeable. Shaw should've been pies Captain.

You've lost the plot!

I totally agree with you. Sometimes posters forget that despite being a very good player Shaw brought a lot more headaches to the table that Adams. I can only recall one incident off field regarding Adams but the list is much longer with Shaw and that is only the ones that hit the media and does not include those that have been covered up by the club and especially MM.

On field, Shaw has changed but as was evidenced against us last year and in the prelim is still capable of losing it.

As to the slight change in Shaw since going to the GWS, maybe he was given an ultimatum?

I quite like the idea of only three in the leadership group and the three appointed are pretty good given the turnover in players.
Only one I would have added would have been Treloar but given this is only his second year, his time will come.

and Last years PF we saw those Problems Arise again

What about Shaw Getting Suspended for Drink Driving with Didak then getting Caught Betting on AFL Games

There is one major difference. Adams would never let his frustration with teammates or the umpires cause him to make horrific brain farts that cost the team games. To be fair on Shaw he has cleaned that side of his game up but in my mind Adams is a far superior leader.

The Heater of old was on display in the prelim last year where he lost his cool. Finally at the age of 31 he has managed to control his emotions but it still bubbles over sometimes. A true leader doesnt have to force himself to control his emotions and doesnt wait until the last quarter of his career to do it.

As others have mentioned nice to see best 22 players in the leadership group. Best 10 in fact.

All due respects to caff and others before him (keeffe?) who may well be quality leaders but you can't lead if you can't get a game
This is a key point yes
Must be certain selection.

It's that simple.

So as good as Caff may have been he can lead anyway without title when he was reserving.
Same say with Tyson the Sack.
Might be a great club man so he can lead by respect anyway in the magoos.

In time there seems little question Darcy M and Adam T are emerging leaders.
Perhaps there will be other candidates emerge like Maynard or Brodie or Scharenberg etc

Main thing is win games first.... this then takes care of itself

You don't think Shaw's gambling suspension was a distraction? Or the little incident with the parked cars?

They were probably less of a distraction than Adams being charged with assault, for being drunk in a public place and the noise complaint against him.

Overall you've missed Kirby's point too which related to Shaw's behaviour behind closed doors rather than his behaviour in public which is pretty good, IMO, up against Adams. Yet one was kicked to the curb and the other continuing to be put in a captaincy role.

Edit: this isn't me putting Adams down only highlighting the inconcistency of the club and your error in judging their respective characters off field. Also those potting Heater over the PF are having a lend, yeah?

They were probably less of a distraction than Adams being charged with assault, for being drunk in a public place and the noise complaint against him.

Overall you've missed Kirby's point too which related to Shaw's behaviour behind closed doors rather than his behaviour in public which is pretty good, IMO, up against Adams. Yet one was kicked to the curb and the other continuing to be put in a captaincy role.

Edit: this isn't me putting Adams down only highlighting the inconcistency of the club and your error in judging their respective characters off field. Also those potting Heater over the PF are having a lend, yeah?

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree mate. If you don't think Shaw's eight week suspension in 2011 had an adverse impact on his team's performance then we are at an impasse. The charges against Adams occurred in the off season and I very much doubt his teammates would have given a stuff about it.

Apparently some on here are privy to the internal machinations of the club and they know how players interact within the club.

People whinge about our leaders being too straight and narrow. We chuck a couple of blokes on there who have had some off field issues in the past and people whinge about that too.

Btw, people change. Just because people have had an issue in their past, it doesn't define their future. Particularly when it has been a one off issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree mate. If you don't think Shaw's eight week suspension in 2011 had an adverse impact on his team's performance then we are at an impasse. The charges against Adams occurred in the off season and I very much doubt his teammates would have given a stuff about it.

If I'm not mistaked Adams was 19 when he made his off field discretion. A wild kid who hadnt grown up yet.

If I'm not mistaked Adams was 19 when he made his off field discretion. A wild kid who hadnt grown up yet.

He was also a victim of being a local lad playing for a non-Geelong team. As someone who grew up in Sleepy Hollow I know what happens at places like Lambys. No excuses for what he did but he would have been coping a hard time.

I would say that the 8 week suspension was an AFL distraction. Given players can take illegal drugs, cough cough, with no concequences yet a guy breaks a league imposed rule and is considered a pariah I think its a bit rich.

Agreeing to disagree is probably the best outcome, but I think it would be best to consider that you may have been wide of the mark with your comments toward TG losing the plot when he was on the money with his comment...

I would say that the 8 week suspension was an AFL distraction. Given players can take illegal drugs, cough cough, with no concequences yet a guy breaks a league imposed rule and is considered a pariah I think its a bit rich.

Agreeing to disagree is probably the best outcome, but I think it would be best to consider that you may have been wide of the mark with your comments toward TG losing the plot when he was on the money with his comment...

TG was on the money in your opinion, not mine. The off field trangressions of Shaw, IMO, had a far more detrimental impact on the club that the Adams incident. The Didak think and the gambling were front page news for days, and brought a swarm of media to the Holden Centre. Players don't tend to like that sort of focus and I believe it would have had an adverse impact, not to mention the team missing him due to suspension. There is also the small matter of Shaws' on field brain farts which have cost us dearly.

Your reference to taking illegal drugs is unnecessary given you have no proof it actually happened.

TG was on the money in your opinion, not mine. The off field trangressions of Shaw, IMO, had a far more detrimental impact on the club that the Adams incident. The Didak think and the gambling were front page news for days, and brought a swarm of media to the Holden Centre. Players don't tend to like that sort of focus and I believe it would have had an adverse impact, not to mention the team missing him due to suspension. There is also the small matter of Shaws' on field brain farts which have cost us dearly.

Your reference to taking illegal drugs is unnecessary given you have no proof it actually happened.

Jeez I feel for TG that you can't even acknowledge you went OTT by stating that he'd "lost the plot".

Your opinion is fine by me I understand and I stopped disagreeing two posts back its more the attitude toward TG that bothers me when his point was justifiable. Despite that you've dug your heels in.

Its all part of the casual bullying that goes on towards him that I'm sick of personally. I'm sure you haven't meant it that way either because I've seen it happen to you on here...

Jeez I feel for TG that you can't even acknowledge you went OTT by stating that he'd "lost the plot".

Your opinion is fine by me I understand and I stopped disagreeing two posts back its more the attitude toward TG that bothers me when his point was justifiable. Despite that you've dug your heels in.

Its all part of the casual bullying that goes on towards him that I'm sick of personally.

It's great that you are defending him but I would not describe my reply to him as "casual bullying". A robust reply perhaps but nothing more than that. If TG feels it was OTT he can always report it.

It's great that you are defending him but I would not describe my reply to him as "casual bullying". A robust reply perhaps but nothing more than that. If TG feels it was OTT he can always report it.

Note to self I am now free to say you've lost the plot when you next decide Buckley's time as coach is at an end in the name of robust discussion :)

Shaw may have cost us a premiership (along with Thomas inexplicably getting reported for striking on the eve of the finals). Shaws issue was when the club was at the absolute peak of its powers. It doesnt take much to derail a season. A couple of injurues and a few players and a coach losing the plot....

Not sure 19-year-old-havent-played-a-game-yet-for-a-brand-new-team getting into trouble was a distraction at all.

Adams doesn't have anything going for him off field apart from the previous mentioned drunken and assault incidents. I don't see any leadership qualities in him. His spot really should of gone to Treloar.

giphy.gif

i like adams as a leader.

i rank him with our other young players coming through that show leadership qualities in treloar, grundy, scharenberg & moore

i also like that pendlebury doesnt have to spend so much time on the field keeping him under control like maxwell used to with shaw.

i pray that when we next hit the finals adams wont put himself before the team like shaw did so many times.

Adams is as tough as nails first in on field always has his head over the footy always there for his team mates, the young blokes at the club love him as do the coaches, will be a great captain of Collingwood one day.

If the team has played a s**t half of football its often Adams that talks to the boys before they head into the rooms before halftime. Pendles is a terrific example for the team but Adams is more a drag the team along with him type of leader. They compliment each other well I reckon.

I miss Maxy's leadership. He was an amazing captain no matter what the opposition idiots say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back