Competition Season 31 Rookie Gun of the Year - What are the chances?

Remove this Banner Ad

5 goals 1

wherearemykeys is the obvious choice from this week. No bribe required.
So you're not going to offer a bribe?

giphy.gif

Our man wherearemykeys the clear winner, obviously.

Even the corruptness of the most corrupt of committees couldn't possibly rob our man of the victory.

I've just looked at past winners, maybe I shouldn't speak so soon.

Even the corruptness of the most corrupt of committees couldn't possibly rob our man of the victory.

tony it looks like we are having stuffed Goose for tea

tony the money has been transferred, it’s time my friend.
I will book you in for next week's win. No one would be able to afford the bribe you need to win this week. Your fellow forward pocket rookie kicked 5.1 from 6 kicks while you didn't trouble the scorers.

Please.

Last week led the league for hit outs, had 18 possessions and kicked two goals in the ruck.

Nothing, nada, nil, zilch, zip.

Don‘t be counting no chickens just yet

Please.

Last week led the league for hit outs, had 18 possessions and kicked two goals in the ruck.

Nothing, nada, nil, zilch, zip.

Don‘t be counting no chickens just yet
You don't have to tell me about ridiculous nominations or non nominations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For 16 minutes...
Code:
Catsnlakers          0 (On) 16.51 (Off) 34.01 (On) 87.08 (Off) 91.16 (On) Total : 78%
The coach saw he was doing such a bad job he dragged him off the field. Now that I have his bribe gift, you don't need to worry he will win a nomination soon, the committee will look favorably on his next game.

The coach saw he was doing such a bad job he dragged him off the field. Now that I have his bribe gift, you don't need to worry he will win a nomination soon, the committee will look favorably on his next game.
The ball never got there, tony. No line was written about those minutes.

They say he's still looking for them
Every week, I realise I don't know how to start these so this week I just wanna say that anyone who goes on Twitter, YouTube, Reddit or those sorts of sites just to pile on hate on someone or something are absolutely dense and brainless. I'm not meaning going online to say the umpires were biased after your team lost, I mean devoting every minute of your free time to hating a show, comedian, actor, musician, what have you, simply because you don't like it, or have stopped liking it. If it's something illegal, then of course bring it to the light, but if it's because you don't find the jokes funny, or because you don't like that particular genre or whatever, then stop going out of your way just to hate on it. Just move on and if enough people move on, only then will it send a message.

Anyway yeah, with just 4 people of the 9 eligible to get the nom this week posting, it was quite easy to pick the winner seeing as they nearly had twice the ADT as the next guy. It was kinda hard trying to be like "everyone has a chance" when really this was decided the moment the matches got posted. So yes, Aristotle Pickett, Catsnlakers and DockerDen5215, the Round 7 Gun nomination is…
1616826748041.png 1616826811527.png

wherearemykeys has had to play catch up with the rest of the rookies, which is lucky for those rookies as wherearemykeys has been doing great for the Gumbies in the forward line. Of course we've already seen how to get a nomination from starting in the Forward Pocket, but let's see wherearemykeys' highlights to see how to get one by staying in the Forward Pocket.

It took a literal minute for him to get on the board.
1 : .01 {C} - Long tap from Strigoi.
1 : .1 {C} - EagleOz scoops up the ball.
1 : .13 {C} - Quick hands to Barrybran under pressure.
1 : .18 {C} - No-look handpass to GWS Goose.
1 : .22 {C} - A slick handpass goes to Barrybran.
1 : .26 {rW} - Handpass over the shoulder to Ned Ryerson.
1 : .3 {lHFF} - Geeze he's got onto that one. Pressure on Grimesy87 to mark.
1 : .34 {lHFF} - Grimesy87 with a one-hander.
1 : .38 {lHFF} - Grimesy87 looking for a lead.
1 : .43 {rFP} - A mongrel punt in the direction of wherearemykeys.
1 : .46 {rFP} - The ball drops short of wherearemykeys.
1 : .51 {rFP} - wherearemykeys takes off.
1 : .55 {rFP} - A snap at goal ....
1 : .59 {rFP} - And wherearemykeys doesn't disappoint us.
Gumbies FFC : 1.0.6
Dragons FFC : 0.0.0
He was kicking a goal every time he touched the ball
1 : 2.34 {C} - Barrybran wins the tapout.
1 : 2.35 {lW} - StFly with some space now.
1 : 2.38 {CHF} - Finds Brick Loosener with a handball.
1 : 2.4 {rFP} - Searching pass in the direction of wherearemykeys.
1 : 2.44 {rFP} - Here's a chance for an opportunist rover.
1 : 2.48 {rFP} - wherearemykeys sucks it up like a dustbuster and he's off and running.
1 : 2.52 {rFP} - wherearemykeys eye's the goals and has a shot.
1 : 2.57 {rFP} - I think he's snuck it in. Full points.
Gumbies FFC : 2.0.12
Dragons FFC : 1.0.6
He was making sure BringBackTheAnchor paid for any mistake.
2 : 14.47 {FB} - Chief with the ball now.
2 : 14.51 {lHBF} - Stoods presents on a long lead.
2 : 14.55 {lHBF} - Stoods is caught under pressure and knocks the ball forward.
2 : 15 {CHF} - omgfridge looking for a lead.
2 : 15.04 {rFP} - Geeze he's got onto that one. Pressure on wherearemykeys to mark.
2 : 15.08 {rFP} - BringBackTheAnchor drops an absolute sitter.
2 : 15.12 {rFP} - wherearemykeys with some space now.
2 : 15.16 {rFP} - wherearemykeys sells the dummy and has a shot.
2 : 15.2 {rFP} - Brilliant goal to wherearemykeys.
Gumbies FFC : 8.8.56
Dragons FFC : 3.2.20
He was making sure BringBackTheAnchor paid for having the ball.
2 : 23.51 {lBP} - BringBackTheAnchor with all the time in the world.
2 : 23.55 {lBP} - BringBackTheAnchor sells the dummy and helps himself to a bounce.
2 : 24 {lBP} - Huge bump by wherearemykeys on BringBackTheAnchor.
How many goals was this now? I've lost count.
3 : 2.38 {C} - Nobody's checking EagleOz.
3 : 2.42 {CHF} - He gets a handpass to omgfridge.
3 : 2.46 {CHF} - GWS Goose receives his handpass.
3 : 2.5 {rFP} - Searching pass in the direction of wherearemykeys.
3 : 2.54 {rFP} - The ball spills free.
3 : 2.58 {rFP} - wherearemykeys weaves through the congestion.
3 : 3.11 {rFP} - A bit of space for wherearemykeys to utilise.
3 : 3.17 {rFP} - wherearemykeys's eyes light up - he fires at goal.
3 : 3.19 {rFP} - What a goal.
Gumbies FFC : 9.10.64
Dragons FFC : 5.3.33
A quiet end to the game, compared to how busy he was at the start.
4 : 11.54 {FB} - Cold Sober breaks a tackle and is off.
4 : 11.58 {rHBF} - His kick covers more height than distance.
4 : 12.03 {rHBF} - Grimesy87 is third man up and takes it easily.
4 : 12.08 {lHFF} - Grimesy87 picks it up on the bounce.
4 : 12.11 {rFP} - He looks for wherearemykeys.
4 : 12.15 {rFP} - No-one can take the mark.
4 : 12.17 {rFP} - wherearemykeys assessing what lies ahead of him.
4 : 12.23 {rFP} - This should be a certain goal.
4 : 12.33 {rFP} - It's through.
Gumbies FFC : 14.16.100
Dragons FFC : 9.6.60

5 goals in the end for a rookie Forward Pocket. Quite the feat. It was always going to take some effort to beat an effort like that and no one was anywhere close to that performance in Round 7. Certainly has no trouble figuring out where the goals are.

On that topic, when I went to talk to Barrybran and wherearemykeys, I got roped into looking for the rookie's keys. Unfortunately, in the mood I was in after witnessing what I talked about at the start of this post, I lost the footage of the interview. Luckily, tony made a back-up using Lego.

1616828541344.png

FG: Hey Baz, what a game against the Dragons in Round 7! And what a game from wherearemykeys to be the second Gumbies Gun nom. How does it feel?
BB: It feels good to win and it feels good to see a rookie do well

FG: Congrats on getting wherearemykeys over to the Gumbies. Where did you find him, and how is he settling in?
BB: wherearemykeys stumbled into the sign up thread when he was looking for his keys, someone mentioned Gumbies, wherearemykeys misheard them and he wound up joining us. He's still finding his feet a bit but is settling in well.

FG: He's been handy for you in just the 3 weeks he's been here, what are your on-field aspirations for wherearemykeys?
BB: Just to play his role. A bag is nice every now and then but if he can provide support to Rodney Dangerfield and BlueE up front he'll have done his job.

FG: Last time we talked was for the nomination of Grimesy. How's he tracking and will there be more rookies to add?
BB: Grimesy87 still pokes his head in here and there. He's not an everyday poster but is there on game day, around in the team PM and compliments the group nicely with what he adds. As for more rookies, well, I said I wasn't holding my breath on signing any more when we last spoke and wherearemykeys wandered in. Now I'm under pressure to keep adding rookies so we can keep earning these nominations.

FG: Now that we're almost halfway into the season and we've seen what rookies every other team has, are there any other rookies that you wish you had gotten your hands on that go alright at qooty?
BB: Not really but I'm looking forward to seeing GREENESHOOTS in a match thread. I've enjoyed the little snippets I've seen of him lately.

Hold on while tony switches the figures around to look like I'm now talking to the rookie. Here we go.

FG: Hey wherearemykeys! Congratulations on the nomination after 3 weeks. You must be pleased with how you went in the game. What path did you take to get to the SFA, and where did you first hear about it?
wamk: Hey mate, thanks for that. So my path to the SFA was a long and winding one; I've been cutting my teeth with Robbo from the Herald Sun for several years. During a night out with him over a beer or 3 and a large mixed kebab (extra garlic sauce, no tomato), he mentioned "SFA" to me, and I thought it sounded interesting. At least, I think that's what he meant. He did also mention "SFA" when I asked him how much thought and research he put into his columns, so actually, now, come to think of it, maybe that's what he meant.

FG: What are your first impressions of the place? Is Baz, Fridge and the rest of the Gumbies looking after you?
wamk: I can't speak highly enough of the crew at the Gumbies, they've all welcomed me with open arms. I did have offers from many clubs, but the deciding factor for me in choosing the Gumbies was their innate coaching ability; players want to play for a team that bucks the current trends and does things differently. I mean, leaving the full-forward on the bench for a big final - you just can't teach that. That takes a special someone with a nuanced understanding of the game, and as soon as I saw that, I knew they were the club for me.

FG: How do you prepare for a qooty match? Did you think you were going to be a chance of getting the nomination this week?
wamk: My prep is pretty standard for a qooty player I guess; a few beers, a couple of Chiko rolls, an hour of watching old Aerobics Oz Style videos on YouTube followed by some "self-reflection". Then I sit back with my laptop, safe in the knowledge of a job well done. I have to admit, after kicking 5 goals, I did think I'd be a rough chance of getting the nomination, but qooty is a strange game, so you never know.

FG: What would you like to achieve on the field during your SFA career?
wamk: Playing in the SFA and kicking a goal has been my lifelong childhood dream ever since I debuted 3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what else there is to achieve. I would like to be a 1 club player, so if I could stay with the Gumbies, I'd be happy. I have no leadership ambitions, I'm way too lazy for that, and the pay isn't worth it.

FG: Have there been any other teams that have stood out for you on the field, or players that you model your qooty on?
wamk: I think it would be unfair to single out the Gumbies as the only team to impress me, so I won't. (I'm easily impressed).

FG: Who else do you think will win the Gun of the Year, and the overall Rising Star? Reckon you’re a shot?
wamk: I don't hold the hose mate. But if I had to pick, I'll give it to my teammate Grimesy winning both. I'm not sure I can win with my late start to the season, and forward pocket isn't a traditional vote-getting position, but you never know. I jagged this week's nomination, so that'll do me.

Alright, that is that week gone and in the past, only to be remembered when I think about things that make me give up on humanity. But that's life and there's bigger things to get hung up on, like the Round 8 nomination.

See you then.

Last edited:
The Half-Way Mark...ish
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

ROUND 8 CANDIDATES

Defender of the Week - Catsnlakers (SCS) - ADT 108.65

Alright, time to make Gremio happy first thing this week, Catsnlakers was the best defender. How was Catsnlakers the best rookie defender of the round? They were the only rookie defender to reach 75 ADT. They also kept their direct opponent to 1 goal for the entire game, so it's not they're being mentioned purely to have a defender here. On top of that, Catsnlakers managed to have 20 disposals for themselves, 5 marks and a tackle. You can definitely tell that this person wasn't the reason they lost on the weekend. Unfortunately, keeping one person off the scoreboard doesn't stop the rest of the team scoring (at least, not every time) but it maybe enough to snag a Gun nomination.

Midfielder of the Week - Aristotle Pickett (ROY) - ADT 101.49
Standing between Catsnlakers and Gremio targeting powerrrrrrrrrrrr next is Aristotle Pickett. Now, I've made jokes about how Aristotle is always mentioned here every week, but this week they actually have a chance of taking the weekly nomination by finally reaching 100 ADT points. With 26 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 frees and a goal, the only thing that went against them on the day was the fact that the opposition captain was Best-on-Ground by a LONG margin. Getting benched with 7 minutes to go doesn't help either. So while they won't get the 3 Mobbs votes (or any Mobbs votes looking at the stats), this maybe the long awaited week that Aristotle Pickett gets sour looks from the Rats camp.

Forward of the Week - DockerDen5215 (CIW) - ADT 83.26
Onto the player that lost to Aristotle's team, DockerDen is back on the candidates list. DockerDen's opponent was on the Roy rookie that already has a Gun nomination, which showed with the sim saying Freo_4eva won the match-up, but that doesn't mean DockerDen was acting like a witch's hat on the field. 16 disposals, 7 marks, they even added 2 more to their overall Frees Against tally. The only problem that stops these stats from looking good is that DockerDen scored 3 behinds without a goal. Now, being in the team atop the ladder, this sort of performance can be overlooked (not that they usually kick 0.3), but not this week, not in a loss. Come on, at least I scored 2.3, and I KNOW I played terribly.

WildCard of the Week - Jabba73 (BAG) - ADT 84.57
Commiserations to Zevon who just missed out, Jabba73 takes the last spot thanks to a 10-goal outing that saw the ball get plenty of time getting bounced up in the middle. Yes, they were deemed to lost their match-up to the Buddy Franklin of the comp (why is a Full-Forward being used in the ruck?) but that just means it was a big day out for both rucks in that game. 18 hitouts (3 more than the opponent), 20 disposals, 2 frees, a tackle and a couple of goals, Jabba was doing all that the Bombers could ask of them and more. It's a wild coincidence that every candidate his week lost their match-up, or maybe that's the level of competition the league is giving the rookies, because they certainly didn't have bad games. Have a look...
1617018194692.png

Will Catsnlakers make for interesting reading on Saturday? Will Aristotle spoil the party and cause a meltdown? Can one of Jabba or DockerDen surprise everyone and take home their team's first Gun nomination for the season?

WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO BE THIS WEEK'S "GUN"?

Forward of the Week - DockerDen5215 (CIW) - ADT 83.26
Onto the player that lost to Aristotle's team, DockerDen is back on the candidates list. DockerDen's opponent was on the Roy rookie that already has a Gun nomination, which showed with the sim saying Freo_4eva won the match-up, but that doesn't mean DockerDen was acting like a witch's hat on the field. 16 disposals, 7 marks, they even added 2 more to their overall Frees Against tally. The only problem that stops these stats from looking good is that DockerDen scored 3 behinds without a goal. Now, being in the team atop the ladder, this sort of performance can be overlooked (not that they usually kick 0.3), but not this week, not in a loss. Come on, at least I scored 2.3, and I KNOW I played terribly.​
This is why I need to move to the backline. I am becoming a liability to my own team in front of goal.

At least you aren't hiding in the forward pocket anymore 3rd best Rats rookie, good for you
As every week goes by I demonstrate my superiority over this seasons rookie class, the skip knows that & throws me wherever I’m needed.....If I don’t get this weeks award it’s simply a farce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back