Preview Semi Final vs GWS Giants, Sat 14 Sep, 7:25PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are reaaallly short only when the ball is right down in front if you. I reckon they are great seats. More legroom too

When you are sitting in the seats the guard rail is quite high so you need to look through the fence to see the game.

Only when the game is literally right on the boundary. Even then it’s not much of an issue. I prefer having double the leg room and that I don’t have to stand up to let people past.

"Best available" is quite bizarre. Not only that AA is Cat 4 is ridiculous it also seems the computer says they are the worst of Category 4.
I fluked a pair of those last week so I was trying again, but it kept offering Cat 4 behind the goals at the very back. I gave up and grabbed a pair of good Cat 1.
Half an hour later I checked out of interest and the Row AA ones came up.

The railing makes them restricted viewing for the algorithm. To be fair it can be a little annoying and I'm 6'3".

I managed to get tickets straight away and in row EE section 65,so not too far away from our regular HA seats in 67.
Took a couple of goes to get some decent seats but logged straight in,unlike last week.
Also thanks Elixuh for the heads up on last weeks seats in Section 6-right in front of the Fox commentary box and got to watch the cricket in their box at the same time:)

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Recap (don't worry, I'll keep it brief):

Well that was a bummer of a conclusion.

After a fantastic first quarter a lack of reward for effort saw us drop off and lose the next three quarters, despite having more scoring shots overall. While some of our troubles came from a relative difficulty level (see below), it was blatantly obvious that our goalkicking woes had finally come back to bite us.

I won't mention the umpiring.

Personally I'm even more upset about the loss than most because I had already checked that these two teams would only meet in the GF if they both kept winning and had been hoping... :(

The matchup:

On to our next opponent - one week at a time. GWS smashed all over the fairytale of the Dogs, proving that glass slippers don't stand up well to ogres. After being rough and tumbled out of finals in previous years by the Dogs and Richmond, this year they turned the tables and the Dogs clearly didn't handle the pressure. A lot was made of the Dogs beating GWS a few weeks earlier but smarter commentators noted that GWS had about a third of their best 22 out in that game, and being able to drop a bunch of rookies and backup players like Caldwell, Hill, Keeffe, Simpson, Sproule and Stein funnily greatly improved matters.

We also beat GWS relatively recently, but unlike the Dogs we did it while they were a lot closer to full strength - of the above list, only Simpson was in the team, and Hately was the only rookie. Coniglio was also present, and yet we turned in a fairly comfortable 20 point win. It was close enough to keep punters nervous but they never actually got closer than three goals from just into the second quarter. Add to the venue on top of that (GWS has only lost one final in NSW, but is yet to win outside of NSW) we go in fairly comfortable favourites.

This week:

We have one big advantage - our speed. Plenty of our guys have impressive speed for their position, starting at Cameron and progressing through guys like McCluggage (deceptively) and Martin and Hipwood for their position. GWS is very one-paced outside of Whitfield and Williams and our breakaways were key to the last match. Daniels has been playing more off a wing with Williams moving back, so it's not like this has changed significantly.

GWS has a lot more bigger bodies and attempts to dominate over the ball will be on a hiding to nothing and play into their hands. While Mumford had one of his best games last week, harking back to Crackers Keating with his punches of the ball forward while English attempted careful taps I think that will play to our advantage with our better structured midfield - GWS has had to chop and change their mids all year due to injury, so no combination has been able to form the gelling we see with Neale, Zorko, Lyons and McCluggage. This doubly hurts them with their single best all round mid (Coniglio) out for at least another game. de Boer will undoubtedly shut down someone but we've already shown we can lose a Neale or a Zorko and continue on our merry way with Lyons tending to stand up as "next man up".

GWS's defenders play similar to Richmond, with two great intercept marks, but with less speed and spread. If we've learned anything from last week it has to be avoid the bomb in without thinking about what's ahead. McStay and McInerney are going to be key in marking sure Haynes and Davis always face a contest, otherwise the ball will be coming straight back out. Once the ball comes out, however, both teams play quite similar up the boundaries so it will be interesting to see who thinks they have the advantage there and keep it up.

Our defenders should line up well on GWS's forwards, three talls for three talls and Answerth for Greene, with Hodge residing that kick behind the ball that he can do so well.

Unfortunately we've lost Robbo for the game but we have a like-for-like replacement in the team already in Berry, so I'm expecting to see him move up into the middle with someone like Cox coming into the forward line.

The result:

Overall it's hard to look past GWS's terrible finals record outside of NSW and our history at the Gabba. Layer on top of that the matchup earlier in the year and I'll tip a close fought victory to the Lions, who go on to beat the Pies the following week.

Didn’t realise we were letting supporters of our opponents do previews??

If we beat the Giants anyone have any ideas on when the game against Collingwood is most likely to be scheduled?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They normally do a Friday night and Sat arvo so there isnt a big gap between games so no one has a time advantage as well.
Perhaps if we beat GWS, the AFL should move the Preliminary Final to the Gabba given we finished above Collingwood on the ladder. ;)

Should make up for our prelim being moved in 2004.

When I got mine, it kept throwing sections 29 & 30 at me (lower level, which I prefer) Had ticked categories 2, 3 & 4. Row N was the best I could get after a dozens attempts.
Now, row L & M in 34 for $61 instead of the $76 tix I got.
Too late now, but a lesson for next year. Best seats for the levels you choose, means, most expensive and won't even look at the cheaper options, however many times you try. Should have thought to have a go at selecting just the 2 cheaper categories, but chose the 3 to give a better chance of getting closer.
There were closer seats, they just didn't want to offer them.
What constitutes a "good" seat is so subjective that the system is a massive fail.
If this were last week, I'd buy different seats, safe in the knowledge that I could sell the dearer ones.

Perhaps if we beat GWS, the AFL should move the Preliminary Final to the Gabba given we finished above Collingwood on the ladder. ;)

Should make up for our prelim being moved in 2004.
Wouldn't that put the cats/lions among the pidgeons/magpies

Didn’t realise we were letting supporters of our opponents do previews??

I bet none of you lot have seen more than one GWS game this year!

I bet none of you lot have seen more than one GWS game this year!

I thought last weeks game (at least for most of the first half which I saw) was great from GWS. GWS seem to have a knack of playing maybe 3 really hard and contested games a year. If they played like that more often they would do much better in the H&A.

Hadn't considered Nick Robertson but must admit he would be a worthy consideration. Throw him on Whitfield and just tell him to nag him all night and stop him from getting the ball. Much like GWS did with Bontempelli and will no doubt do with De Boer on Neale.

Got to say I am very nervous about this match even more so now that the AFL did their thing and made sure Greene just got a fine. Watch him to bob up now and kick a few handy goals.

Really need to start well. Giants are great front runners.

I actually think if we can get past them we will have a great chance against the Pies. Everyone will think Collingwood is home and hosed but they have a very average forward line.

Hadn't considered Nick Robertson but must admit he would be a worthy consideration. Throw him on Whitfield and just tell him to nag him all night and stop him from getting the ball. Much like GWS did with Bontempelli and will no doubt do with De Boer on Neale.

Got to say I am very nervous about this match even more so now that the AFL did their thing and made sure Greene just got a fine. Watch him to bob up now and kick a few handy goals.

Really need to start well. Giants are great front runners.

I actually think if we can get past them we will have a great chance against the Pies. Everyone will think Collingwood is home and hosed but they have a very average forward line.

Robbo on Whitfield in a tagging role is very appealing if we're not going for a pure mid or a mid to rotate on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back