Sheffield Shield Final: Victoria v South Australia @ Traeger Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong rumour doing the rounds that Victorian hierarchy are proposing that:

When Victoria finish on top of the table next season they will play the match at the 2nd placed teams ground, and also hand the draw advantage to the 2nd placed team. In other words Victoria would have to win the match at the ground of the 2nd placed team despite finishing on top.
Well, if you can't be bothered enough to have ONE ground ready to play the Final at....

As much as this hurts, congrats to the vic$, don't think any other state deserves to win the title this season.

As for SA, are we ever going to break this long, suffering drought of not winning this competition? SURELY we have to win the Shield in this window with the youngsters at our disposal, just frustrating being runner-up in consecutive summers. Just need to strengthen the batting line-up plus recruit a decent spinner like holland, & our title-winning puzzle should be complete.

I make no secret I'd rather a leg spinner in the side.
I'd rather a leg spinner also or a decent left arm orthodox type who turns it, something that moves the ball away from the right hander.

Just feel off spin is bland and defensive and easier to play, particularly for right handers which most other test teams have a lot of and can keep hitting with the spin comfortably.

I'd rather a leg spinner also or a decent left arm orthodox type who turns it, something that moves the ball away from the right hander.

Just feel off spin is bland and defensive and easier to play, particularly for right handers which most other test teams have a lot of and can keep hitting with the spin comfortably.

Someone that really turns the ball is so dangerous on day 5. We don't have one in the side right now and it does hamstring us a bit.

I'm very disappointed in O'Keefe, sure he had a good first up game, but only took 6 wickets in the last 3 tests, plus he's supposed to be a solid lower order bat averaging 25 or so in FC level, he's rubbish at test level with the bat only averaging about 10.

Just can't see what he offers better than what Agar does
Carbine Chaos ;) :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would back a 23 year old who has also shown promise with the bat to come good rather than a 32yo who does nothing but bowl
O'Keefe: 244 FC wickets @ 23, 33 Test wickets @ 27
Agar: 114 FC wickets @ 40, 2 Test wickets @ 124

Unless Agar's suddenly batting top 6, it's not even a debate. He is barely a Shield quality spinner.

It's definitely not The thread for the discussion. Cos no-one is saying Victoria have done anything wrong, theyve been tactically astute to make sure they dont lose. what they're saying is what's the point of doing it.

So far this thread is full of " we win you lose" "don't finish 2nd" bullshit.

If you look at it from an administration perspective It's the one shield game that gets some sort of media attention & it's full of fairly dull cricket tactics.
It costs money to put on
It's tough on the players, hopefully no injuries come out of it.

There have been official discussions on scrapping the final, which wasn't popular & last year's final took the discussion off the radar for a while. But I think it will get discussed again.

The options being

1. Top team wins the shield
The issues there is shield could be decided with 3 or 4 games to go & you don't get your attention and promos for the game itself.

2. If you don't win you don't get the shield
Would force teams to play for a win
But could be the reverse, you get stonewalled by a team playing for a draw when they can't win so you could miss out when you deserve it
Also could go unawares for years at a time

3. Would be timeless game
That goes back to the boring cricket & not moving the game forward.

4. As it is now

There's no perfect solution, when they changed to points rules a couple years back it made the shield comp more exciting as teams pushed for the win and batted more positively. It seems strange to then have the final to be a potential bore as a draw gets prioritised over the win and 2nd place can become a potential booby prize.

Maybe the top side on the ladder should have the option to choose hosting rights OR the advantage of a drawn result?

The option then for the team finishing top is to choose to try and win a game at home, or secure a draw away. They still have the advantage of choosing what they prefer, but they are slightly disadvantaged in each choice compared to the current set-up.

In my view a solid defensive performance to secure a draw away from home on a result-wicket prepared by the home side would be worthy of a Shield victory. Obviously winning the game at your own venue against a team who can try and be defensive is also worthy.

O'Keefe: 244 FC wickets @ 23, 33 Test wickets @ 27
Agar: 114 FC wickets @ 40, 2 Test wickets @ 124

Unless Agar's suddenly batting top 6, it's not even a debate. He is barely a Shield quality spinner.
Agar = a kid playing on a fast bowlers deck

O'Keefe = average finger spinner who can't bat, we already have one of them in Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back