List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone see as the midfield pecking order for 2020?

In my view not including wings (Scully, Smith, Henderson, Moore, Morrison) it is

Starters - playing every game if fit
Mitchell
O'meara
Worpel
Wingard
Sheils

Depth - first in if an injury may play another role in 22 or play mid if wingard is forward
Howe
Cousins
Glass
Minchinton (if not delisted)

Development - a chance to play here or there but will spend most of the time at box Hill unless we have heaps of injuries or they improve dramatically
Jones
Golds
Maguiness*
Pick 11

I think Howe and glass will play the most of the depth players as Howe can also play back and glass can play either as a small/rebounding defender or as a small/pressure forward.

In my view not including wings (Scully, Smith, Henderson, Moore, Morrison) it is

Mitchell
O'meara
Worpel
Wingard
Sheils

Depth - first in if an injury may play another role in 22 or play mid if wingard is forward
Howe
Cousins
Glass

Development - a chance to play here or there but will spend most of the time at box Hill unless we have heaps of injuries or they improve dramatically
Jones
Golds
Maguiness*
Pick 11

I think Howe and glass will play the most of the depth players
as Howe can also play back and glass can play either as a small/rebounding defender or as a small/pressure forward.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Finn plays more than these two even if it's only his first season.

Mitchell
O'meara
Worpel
Wingard
Sheils

Howe
Cousins
Glass

Jones
Golds
Maguiness*
Pick 11

I think Howe and glass will play the most of the depth players as Howe can also play back and glass can play either as a small/rebounding defender or as a small/pressure forward.

I think Maginness, if drafted, will very quickly into the depth list. There's a decent chance that with the pace and workrate he showed in the combine, and the forward craft and solid hands he showed through his U18 season that we might utilize him in a pressure forward capacity.

Given his 800m results in the APS athletics and his 2km results at the Combine he might give Smith's 2km dominance a tilt in the preseason.

Though - that being said, no guarantee that Smith is still on our list or that we draft Maginness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming this is the forum to discuss Pittonet leaving us so i'll just say straight up that we did well to get what we got as he will never be an AFL level ruckman. His lack of athleticism combined with no real strengths means that he's no great loss unless we have a bad run of injuries to our now relatively thin ruck stocks.

Yeah great trade period for Poppy, our list situation means we pretty much have no choice but to extend him for another season. He'll limp to 200 games which no one would have expected when he was drafted as a 23 year old out of the SANFL.

Ever thought that maybe a lot of Poppy's reduced output had to do with the team in general being weaker?

He's still amongst the competition's best for what we rate him for.

7th amongst FWDs for FWD 50 Ground Ball Gets
10th amongst FWDs for Total Ground Ball Gets
3rd for Pressure Acts
1st for Tackles I50
5th for Total Tackles

Not saying it'll be a return to his best form next year but he still contributes, more than happy for him to play until he's forced out.

Two big KP ticks. As the rebuild moves on, offensive and defensive structures are done. Huge structural gains.
Hopefully Kosi evolves in time to replace Chip in two years. Sic new long term deal coming soon.

Now the challenges are:
Another Agrade mid, preferably a big body bustling burster.
Another small defender. Small, quick, disciplined Defenders are needed to counter the chic small forwards flavour of the month. More speed. Another CJ. Another Imps.
At least two, game breaking speed and gut runners. Ageing Hendo and Smith.
At least two, small or damaging mid forwards who are quick and pressure tackling machines. Still getting over Cyril loss. Poppy an urgent replacement.
One HBF line breaker/distributor to compliment Scrim.

Achieve above and, Job done, and ready to challenge.

The only best 22 player we lost has barely played the last 3 years and we have cover for that position. We brought in a KPP at either end and improved our draft hand.

If feel like the best players we will pick up will be pick 11 and Finn. Hope we nab some mature (20-24) players with the late picks or a DFA. Probably need a depth ruckman and a ready to go pressure forward like Poppy was.

yes, but can't be on a rookie list for more than 3 years
yeah you can delist and re-rookie but you run the risk of someone else grabbing them

Yeah great trade period for Poppy, our list situation means we pretty much have no choice but to extend him for another season. He'll limp to 200 games which no one would have expected when he was drafted as a 23 year old out of the SANFL.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but man you're living that negative opinions life at the moment. Smile mate.

Two big KP ticks. As the rebuild moves on, offensive and defensive structures are done. Huge structural gains.
Hopefully Kosi evolves in time to replace Chip in two years. Sic new long term deal coming soon.

Now the challenges are:
Another Agrade mid, preferably a big body bustling burster.
Another small defender. Small, quick, disciplined Defenders are needed to counter the chic small forwards flavour of the month. More speed. Another CJ. Another Imps.
At least two, game breaking speed and gut runners. Ageing Hendo and Smith.
At least two, small or damaging mid forwards who are quick and pressure tackling machines. Still getting over Cyril loss. Poppy an urgent replacement.
One HBF line breaker/distributor to compliment Scrim.

Achieve above and, Job done, and ready to challenge.
I don't disagree with what you're saying here Tops, but surely what we're asking for here to be "ready to challenge" is 3-5 years away minimum. That's 8 first team players. I would have thought in that time, stocks will deplete in other areas (ie other mids getting on, etc). On top of that, the club explicitly saying they want more flags in the next few years...

Will be interesting to see the list management side of things.

Incoming we will like have at least 3 national draft picks (for example, pick 11, then 30/42 to Finn, then at the very least another pick or a DFA). We have two rookie upgrades in Nash and Hanrahan. Frost/Patton offset the loss of Birchall and Pittonet.

So we're in need of at least five senior list spots. Out of contract on the senior list are Mirra, Miles, Minchington, Shoey and Poppy. Depending on what source you read Glass and Brand possibly have a contract to 2020, possibly not.

If Poppy is staying, I can only see that working if we are initially delisting him or someone else unlikely to get redrafted elsewhere (Brand/Glass?) with a commitment to re-rookie them off the senior list otherwise I can't see how we're going to fit in the incoming players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back