Jun 24, 2008
Athens, Greece
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rodney Eade is a good coach a really good coach FACT
Bomber Thompson is an average coach who won 2 premierships
Alistair Clarkson is an average coach who won a premiership
John Worsfold couldnt organise a **** ia a brothel but he won a premiership
And finally Malcon Blight, a brilliant football thinker, lost 3 GFinals at cats with a team of stars before winning 2 with the crows
The moral of the story

Coaches dont win premierships Players do FACT

We are suffering from the fact that we have no leadership at the top
Rodney Eade is an employee not the Boss - Smorgon is the boss and he has undermined this team over the last 2 years at every turn

1 st What type of nob comes out and demands a premiership in the media before the year begins?
2 nd What type of nob cuts spending in the football department and allows us only 2 assistant coaches when even port has 4?
3 rd what type of nob continually places profit and debt before player development at a football club on the verge of taking the last step?

He has lost focus thats why we are missing 8000 members thats why we are missing leadership thats why when all week weve been told by the coach to kick long we handball. There is no accountability when the coach is not supported by the board.

As for the players they are a disgrace because if as i suspect they want to get rid of Eade as he offers nothing new in there eyes then they should have the nuts to say so rather than produce what they have produced so far.

DONT ASK FOR EADES HEAD ASK FOR SMORGON TO CALL A GENERAL MEETING AND TO SUBMIT HIS RESIGNATION

And finally Malcon Blight, a brilliant football thinker, lost 3 GFinals at cats with a team of stars before winning 2 with the crows
The moral of the story

Rodney Eade is an employee not the Boss - Smorgon is the boss and he has undermined this team over the last 2 years at every turn

1 st What type of nob comes out and demands a premiership in the media before the year begins?
2 nd What type of nob cuts spending in the football department and allows us only 2 assistant coaches when even port has 4?
3 rd what type of nob continually places profit and debt before player development at a football club on the verge of taking the last step?

He has lost focus thats why we are missing 8000 members thats why we are missing leadership thats why when all week weve been told by the coach to kick long we handball. There is no accountability when the coach is not supported by the board.

As for the players they are a disgrace because if as i suspect they want to get rid of Eade as he offers nothing new in there eyes then they should have the nuts to say so rather than produce what they have produced so far.

DONT ASK FOR EADES HEAD ASK FOR SMORGON TO CALL A GENERAL MEETING AND TO SUBMIT HIS RESIGNATION

I stopped at the point that coaches don't win flags. A good coach won't win without a good team BUT a really good team won't win without a good coach. Otherwise, why spend the $$$$$ on coaching staff, just let them play. Coach's job, flag or not, is to get his charges to perform to potential and ability, both individually and as a team.

rose tinted glasses mate. i like rocket, but he's done nothing to suggest he's better than any of the mentioned coaches.

The moral of the story

This Club would have died some years ago without the work done by David Smorgan and others. To blame him for this performance is insanity.
The fact is we overrate some of our players and there needs to be a rebuild.
We also need a new coach to oversee this.
This will happen.
Your tirade against David Smorgon is irrational and stupid.

"theAthenian" has just produced one of the funniest posts ever. go back to bed u pleb.

thats even funnier coz then we dont need drafts and player deveopment, resources money or a training base for that matter we dont need a board sponsor or even to train ...lets get a super coach like malthouse who has won lets see... 1 premirship at the richest biggest badassed club in 11 years! no no wait so when malthouse used to say we dont have the cattle to excuse failings he was saying i dont feel like it today coz im the best and i dont feel like winning today. and of course that would mean that sheeds who only won 4 in 25years was a disgrace

its not the 18 on the field but the one in the coaches box s**t your right ive only been watching the footy for 40 years i shoild have been watching the coach thanks for clearing that up huddo

I have to agree with The Athenian in one respect, I cringed when Smorgan came out and said we need to make a GF or it's failure.

It cost Collingwood millions of dollars to buy their flag, and we do not have that type of resource at our fingertips. Considering our low budget, we have done well over the past three years to come within a hair's breath of a GF.

We are in a rebuild and it is important that people stick fat with the club, during this period, otherwise we will fall further behind the big clubs in resources in their football departments.

Memberships are the liveblood of all AFL clubs, and at least during a rebuild we get to have a good look at our young players, and support them while they are developing. If we don't do this, then when free agency comes in we are as good as gone.

like i said, stop making a fool of yourself, go back to bed.

Smorgan has always said he would step aside if someone else wants the job. No one is putting their hand up. Yep he probably shouldnt have said what he said, but he was asked the question and he answered it honestly.

The club might have folded had Smorgon & Co not stepped in. The success of the club falls back on its football department, coaching and playing list.

Lets not kid ourselves here, the WB dont have $25million to spend on a premiership tilt like Collingwood did last year, and somewhere along the lines cuts have to be made to ensure that the club can survive financially. Football is a business my freind...

Coaches steer the team to the pinnacle of success, but the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the players to deliver.

The club might have folded had Smorgon & Co not stepped in. The success of the club falls back on its football department, coaching and playing list.

Lets not kid ourselves here, the WB dont have $25million to spend on a premiership tilt like Collingwood did last year, and somewhere along the lines cuts have to be made to ensure that the club can survive financially. Football is a business my freind...

Coaches steer the team to the pinnacle of success, but the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the players to deliver.

Yes Smorgan did step in when we were in trouble but that doesn't mean we as supporters have to accept every decision made has good. The club has been beneficiaries of the growth of AFL and the resultant lucrative TV deal- something our Board and President happened to to inherit. I'd be interested to see how supporters actually do rate the Board and Smorgan if relation to-

1. Staff hiring and retention. Especially as we had a large embezzlement event this year and we have turned over senior club staff quite regularly.

2. Player recruitment. Discussed many times on the boards. I'm personally been less than impressed with our top picks last few years.

3. How well they have negotiated our draw. We travel a lot and don't get to play the big melbourne teams that much. Though I have no objection to the Darwin and Canberra deals they have managed. Not so keen on Wellington however (Smorgan knows the NZ PM).

4. The Etihad deal. Pretty crappy for us. Can't we play games at venues where we don't lose money.

5. Developing our supporter base. We are priviledged to have a fantastic and large hinterland from which to recruit members/supporters. I don't feel we have done enough to trade off that and guarantee our survival. Developing a home ground in the West would be agood start.

6. Trying to win a flag at all costs. I'd prefer we look at the bigger picture. Buying Brownlow Medalists and Coleman Medalists to try and win flags is all very good but developing a viable long term team should come first. Don't blame the coach here- he is tryingto develop players but he always seems under pressure to produce instant results.

I suspect being a club President is a thankless task sometimes but we shouldn't accept that the Board and President will always get it right. Its ok to bleat that everybody else is bigger and has more supporters, but that doesn't mean we have to accept the situation. how about as a club we try to seize the initiative and try and grow a bit.

3. How well they have negotiated our draw. We travel a lot and don't get to play the big melbourne teams that much. Though I have no objection to the Darwin and Canberra deals they have managed. Not so keen on Wellington however (Smorgan knows the NZ PM).

4. The Etihad deal. Pretty crappy for us. Can't we play games at venues where we don't lose money.

5. Developing our supporter base. We are priviledged to have a fantastic and large hinterland from which to recruit members/supporters. I don't feel we have done enough to trade off that and guarantee our survival. Developing a home ground in the West would be agood start.

I suspect being a club President is a thankless task sometimes but we shouldn't accept that the Board and President will always get it right. Its ok to bleat that everybody else is bigger and has more supporters, but that doesn't mean we have to accept the situation. how about as a club we try to seize the initiative and try and grow a bit.

I have seen a lot of tripe written on this site.

"Negotiated our draw" - are you serious?! As an unpleasant side-effect of the assistance we receive from the AFL, we get an average draw. We are not wanted in prime-time, we don't have a big enough following. Ask North Melbourne supporters what they think of their draw. Take out games where we have ASKED to play interstate - and we travel no more than anyone else. We have played home games v Coll/Ess for as long as I can remember.

The Etihad deal. Where do you suggest we play? There is a clean stadium an hour down the road at Geelong, but we aren't allowed to use it for home games. Developing a home ground in the west? Cool - are you going to bankroll it? We have developed an excellent training base and facilities in the west.

I'd suggest you don't pay enough attention - the current board has left no stone unturned in terms of growing our brand. We haven't done the North Melbourne "poor me/victim" thing - we have been proactive and Smorgon is responsible for a lot of it.

We could have been gone in 1996 and again in 2003 - however we are as secure as we have ever been.

Do some research next time.

2. Player recruitment. Discussed many times on the boards. I'm personally been less than impressed with our top picks last few years.

I would like to think that Smorgan seeks advice from the Football department as to what the club needs in the way of players & positions, rather than making the final call.

I would have thought that this falls on the coach and the match committee as to who gets drafted/traded etc.

Do you believe that all club presidents have an equally influential affect on the draw? I hope not. Its blatantly obvious that the bigger teams do, the rest are just made to follow

As per point 3. Where else do we play? we cant get games at the G as it isnt our home ground. We're not getting huge numbers to games because we're not winning. Its a snowball effect

6. Trying to win a flag at all costs. I'd prefer we look at the bigger picture. Buying Brownlow Medalists and Coleman Medalists to try and win flags is all very good but developing a viable long term team should come first. Don't blame the coach here- he is tryingto develop players but he always seems under pressure to produce instant results.

No arguments there

I have seen a lot of tripe written on this site.

"Negotiated our draw" - are you serious?! As an unpleasant side-effect of the assistance we receive from the AFL, we get an average draw. We are not wanted in prime-time, we don't have a big enough following. Ask North Melbourne supporters what they think of their draw. Take out games where we have ASKED to play interstate - and we travel no more than anyone else. We have played home games v Coll/Ess for as long as I can remember.

The Etihad deal. Where do you suggest we play? There is a clean stadium an hour down the road at Geelong, but we aren't allowed to use it for home games. Developing a home ground in the west? Cool - are you going to bankroll it? We have developed an excellent training base and facilities in the west.

I'd suggest you don't pay enough attention - the current board has left no stone unturned in terms of growing our brand. We haven't done the North Melbourne "poor me/victim" thing - we have been proactive and Smorgon is responsible for a lot of it.

We could have been gone in 1996 and again in 2003 - however we are as secure as we have ever been.

Do some research next time.

Ok I get it that asking questions can be uncomfortable and I certainly don't say its all been bad. The community days for example are excellent. My feeling is that with good money coming in from the TV deals now is a good time to
1. Look ahead to the next 20 years and think of the big picture.
2. Take the initiative so that other teams don't steal a march on us (and our supporter base)
3. Stand up for our rights as an equal member of the AFL.

If we can make money out of playing in front of 10K in Canberra and Darwin I don't see why we can't do the same playing at Skilled Stadium or any other smaller stadium in the West or Ballarat.

Similarly if West Coast get to play their neighbours Freo twice a year and likewise Port/Adel, Coll/Carl/Rich/Ess each other 2x per year, would it be unreasonable that we get to play our closest neighbours (Ess and Geel) twice per year. With now 8 non-Melbourne teams in the comp next year its likely we will be playing them less not more.

I'm sure the AFL are all for growing the game in the West, hopefully we can negotiate something better for our fans. The more our supporters get to see us play in the flesh the better.

What gets me annoyed is supporters saying that we shouldn't accept mediocrity but when the president comes out and says that only a GF appearance is our pass mark this year he gets howled down. This is after 3 prelim final capitulations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What gets me annoyed is supporters saying that we shouldn't accept mediocrity but when the president comes out and says that only a GF appearance is our pass mark this year he gets howled down. This is after 3 prelim final capitulations.

He had every right to come out and say what he did.

One that listens to his supporters demanding success after so much disappointment.
Which one of Brett Montgomery, Peter Dean and Paul Williams resigned?

So it's Smorgon's fault if the players handball when they have been told to kick long. Brilliant:rolleyes:

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Great point :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I'd be disappointed if we all didn't think what Smorgon said.
I like Eade but he can only take a group so far. Either we cull the list and he works with a fresh list or a new coach is saught out. I know which is easier and cheaper.

Not like Smrogon is a Jeff Kennett.... he doesnt say or interject in footy matters that much. Not sure he can be blamed for the effort some of our players have been making either.

Lets be honest about our side. The president and the coach have done everything possible to give our side the best chance to make it.... Yes we got close but were never good enough and didn't have the mental fortitude in the player group to go that extra step.

When your flogged by 123 points by last years wooden spooners it shows the world the mental strength of the player group.... can't blame Smorgon for that.

: When your flogged by 123 points by last years wooden spooners it shows the world the mental strength of the player group.... can't blame Smorgon for that.

Excatly right.

We flogged Westcoast last year by 60 points as did many teams, but did they have a melt down like our supporters. They stuck to their plans, they reappointed the coach and went on with it.

When your flogged by 123 points by last years wooden spooners it shows the world the mental strength of the player group.... can't blame Smorgon for that.

We recruit and develop our players and then we select the best ones to represent us each week with the aim of getting a win. If we are recruiting inept players as you seem to be suggesting does the club not accept some accountability for the result?

Smorgon did raise the expectation bar this year and we have fallen short and whilst I wouldn't single out the President, the Coach or the players for what has been a disappointing season so far it's a combination of all components of the club not just the players.

We need to look deeper at things not just the old scapegoating solution that so many think is the right answer.

The moral of the story

I believe we have a contender for the worst contribution in the entire history of the internets...

Agreed, we jump up and down about accepting prelim's and etc and yet as soon as someone in the club demands success some people sit there and go "oh he shouldnt have said that".

Smorgon came in when the club was as good as gone and without his work we'd be dead. It's pretty tough too win flags when you have'nt got a club.

Yes i agree.

But he backed down and gave eade an out by saying he was mis quoted. Lack of leadership.

Smorgo saved us and i respect that very much. I appreciate his efforts in the same way that i respect peter gordon. But it is obvious that we have many problems and there needs to be changes.

I dont know if we have a real alternative but we need to move forward and apologies just dont cut it.

Is that you Rocket? Never picked you for a Greek.

Sorry, get your resume updated you have 14 games to go, less if the club loses badly in any of the next two games.

This would be the type of person who is experienced in operating a profitable business ....... not one that puts itself at risk financially.

This would be the type of person who is experienced in operating a profitable business ....... not one that puts itself at risk financially.

Correct. We nearly became extinct twice because we couldn't manage the budget and spent way beyond our means the way The Athenian wants us to spend.

And several others on this board I should add are saying similar things like "FFS just spend $1.8m on three decent coaches!" as if we had a $25m war chest.

You appear to know little about running a business/franchise.

No money/high debts = no money to pay the playing list/football department.

Football is a business first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back