Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

The carrying on about Gunston and his goal kicking is just ridiculous.

The fact that he is expected to play all over the ground each week surely would start to have an impact on the actual role that he was recruited to play. Doesn’t take much for your confidence to be dented and lets face it - he isn’t one of our fastest players so he could of just been spent or as others have mentioned “implied pressure” played a part.

Jack Gunston received an AA this year so he’s obviously doing something right. It’s been a long season for some of the elder statesman, so being cut some slack wouldn’t go astray. I’m sure he’s beating himself up without supporters also putting the boot in.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread but there is no Season 2018 Autopsy so I'm putting it here.

I've heard several times since Friday that Hawthorn didn't deserve top 4, weren't a real top 4 team and some have even said we had a soft run to the finals.

Yet if you look at the season down the stretch, when the top 4 was up for the taking, we had to beat a desperate Essendon with finals on the line and also had games against both Geelong and Sydney with top 4 on the line, with all of those games in the last 4 weeks.

The finals didn't turn out the way we wanted but Hawthorn sure as * earned that top 4 spot

Not sure if this is the right thread but there is no Season 2018 Autopsy so I'm putting it here.

I've heard several times since Friday that Hawthorn didn't deserve top 4, weren't a real top 4 team and some have even said we had a soft run to the finals.

Yet if you look at the season down the stretch, when the top 4 was up for the taking, we had to beat a desperate Essendon with finals on the line and also had games against both Geelong and Sydney with top 4 on the line, with all of those games in the last 4 weeks.

The finals didn't turn out the way we wanted but Hawthorn sure as **** earned that top 4 spot

Yes.

And our final against Richmond was better than a lot of people want to admit. We were right up with them in terms of intensity and pressure in the first two and a half quarters, just failed to finish our work. And in conditions that suited them more than us. But don’t need to listen to me, Dunstall and Dermott both said same thing, and thought there was a lot to like about the team that week.

Unfortunately, I think that match also knocked the stuffing out of us, and we didn’t play with same intensity against Dees.

Hard decisions and good trading over summer to keep the upward trajectory. We’re doing ok.

We were great against Richmond. Despite the loss the weather, the umpires and the bounce of the ball just made it not night.

Despite the push back we were horrible against the Melbourne. Weak as piss.

I’m hindsight I think we were stuffed after the Richmond effort so have accepted it but it was ‘non Hawthorn’ footy. Melbourne will get thumped in Perth and it grates me knowing we would probably win that one. Hopefully Clarko learns from it as he is the best coach of all time and yet no one is perfect. The selections, the chipping around (probably because we were tired) and the matchups were all horrible.

SO these rumours of Burgoyne playing with a cracked rib and Titch playing with a broken collarbone... can any of this be substantiated?

Btw, my initial thought was an AC joint tear for Mitch. He definitely wasn't 100%, went to the rooms twice before quarter time, If I recall.

I'm curious to know what the "jab" is that they get to allow them to play through a game. Steroid or anesthetic or beta blockers. Clearly works but it makes you wonder how it's allowed and not deemed "performance enhancing"

I recently asked the same question of a club insider who stated the 'jab' on most occasions is just a mild local anesthetic. Club doctors have the authority at their discretion to administer and then must submit a detailed report to the match referee/AFL.

The finals didn't turn out the way we wanted but Hawthorn sure as **** earned that top 4 spot

In an ordinary year (so I guess that makes 2018 a less than ordinary year), neither Collingwood nor Melbourne would be anywhere near top four either. That’s what these imbeciles are forgetting.

Plenty of teams underachieved this year - Essendon*, Geelong, the two SA teams, and the two AFL NSW teams (to name but six).

Last edited:
We were great against Richmond. Despite the loss the weather, the umpires and the bounce of the ball just made it not night.

Despite the push back we were horrible against the Melbourne. Weak as piss.

I’m hindsight I think we were stuffed after the Richmond effort so have accepted it but it was ‘non Hawthorn’ footy. Melbourne will get thumped in Perth and it grates me knowing we would probably win that one. Hopefully Clarko learns from it as he is the best coach of all time and yet no one is perfect. The selections, the chipping around (probably because we were tired) and the matchups were all horrible.

I still maintain that despite not playing as well as we would have liked, we were still all over the dees. Could easily have accounted for them. It was a disappointing loss, but more because we should have put them away.

We just need to get more talent on our list and build our depth with internal growth, 4 consecutive losses which the last 3 are by 5 goals suggests we have a fair bit of work to do.

On reflection, as we all know the game is often played above the shoulders.

If you are a experienced member of the team and played in multiple premierships, when you looked around the team mates before and during the big moments in matches, you know the players beside you are not a patch on those guys who are missing from your 3 peat days. That's is a given and must be in your head.

If you are, say Burgers looking to shoot out a quick pass and you see (for example) a Morrison/Nash type in your eye line instead of a Hodge or Lewis, you are not going to trust that he will cover your arse the same way. In that split second, you second guess yourself and try and conjure up something different which might fail.

You can't tell me the faith in team mates would be the same. That stuff takes years to generate.

Just something to take on board and may have been a contributor in a small way to the team's failure in the key moments during the finals series.

On reflection, as we all know the game is often played above the shoulders.

If you are a experienced member of the team and played in multiple premierships, when you looked around the team mates before and during the big moments in matches, you know the players beside you are not a patch on those guys who are missing from your 3 peat days. That's is a given and must be in your head.

If you are, say Burgers looking to shoot out a quick pass and you see (for example) a Morrison/Nash type in your eye line instead of a Hodge or Lewis, you are not going to trust that he will cover your arse the same way. In that split second, you second guess yourself and try and conjure up something different which might fail.

You can't tell me the faith in team mates would be the same. That stuff takes years to generate.

Just something to take on board and may have been a contributor in a small way to the team's failure in the key moments during the finals series.

if I was Silk, I would see a Hawk jumper & just shoot the hand ball off

they train to do hand balls in quick succession, they should be used to the jumper, not the man (I hope anyway)

Last edited:
That umpiring was disgraceful. You had all the momentum in the last, then Oliver gets away with a blatant throw that resulted in a Melksham goal. From then on it was impossible. Too many times you were burnt by the umpires. No commentator acknowledged the throw that changed the game either, yet there is uproar over the below the knee calls that were there everyday and are actually in the rulebook. Every 50/50 call went their way too. They were decisive. As a neutral, it was sickening to watch. Ruined what should’ve been a much tighter game of football.
I agree, the decision that led to Gunstons first goal when Jetta basically didn't touch the ball as Gunston dragged it in, the below the knees against Brayshaw, the below the knees against Lewis. Dees were stiff as with the umpiring.

I agree, the decision that led to Gunstons first goal when Jetta basically didn't touch the ball as Gunston dragged it in, the below the knees against Brayshaw, the below the knees against Lewis. Dees were stiff as with the umpiring.
Lol that is actually a rule ( farcical rule) but still a rule or haven't u heard. As far as the umpiring goes ba humbag didn't make a difference either way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any praise for Melbourne is unnecessary until they win a tough game against a side truly contending and entrenched in the top four for the whole year.

32 points up cut to 12 whilst missing Stratton, Jom, Mitchell clearly injured and Birch. Great teams don’t allow this.

Melbourne haven’t beaten anyone yet. If they lose in the West they remain a nothing club.

Unfortunately, the only team that deserves any respect is richmond. If they lose to GWS or Collingwood, then they too will be another essendon circa 1999-2001.

KOLOKOTRONIS

What about round 22 Eagles in WA without Lever, Hogan and Viney? (just in case you want to bring up Darling and Kennedy), headed in the last and fought back to win comfortably.

What is with the "sore loser" attitude you guys have on here? We won and you just can't accept it. You have so much experience i your side but we still won. BTW you still got more free kicks than us anyway, despite all the bitching about the umpires.

You have 8 players that will be 30 plus and 2 that will be 29 plus at the beginning of next season, I'd be more worried about that if I were you. That's what happens when you take established players from other clubs and don't develop your own. And before you start to go on about Melbourne getting high picks in the draft, remember where you got the backbone of your premiership sides. Hodge 1 Roughy 2 Buddy 5 Lewis 7 Birchall 14 Rioli 12. Then you have cherry picked other club's talent, Mitchell, Burgoyne, O'Meara, Frawley, Gunston, now all the majority of posters on here want to do is poach some more.

I've supported Melbourne for over 60 years and I've put up with mainly crap since 1964, but I would never change and that's what a supporter does, he puts up with the good and in our case mainly bad, we don't throw a hissey fit if we lose. Some of the reactions on here are like little children that didn't get the right toy for their birthday and I thought that Hawthorn were a better club than that. How about you congratulate Melbourne for winning and stop trying to find excuses as to why you lost.

I don't expect this post to last but hope that a few of the more sensible posters on her take note.

We also beat GWS by 45 points, Geelong by 29 points and Hawthorn by 33, that enough to satisfy, 4 of the top 8.

Last edited:
What about round 22 Eagles in WA without Lever, Hogan and Viney? (just in case you want to bring up Darling and Kennedy), headed in the last and fought back to win comfortably.

What is with the "sore loser" attitude you guys have on here? We won and you just can't accept it. You have so much experience i your side but we still won. BTW you still got more free kicks than us anyway, despite all the bitching about the umpires.

You have 8 players that will be 30 plus and 2 that will be 29 plus at the beginning of next season, I'd be more worried about that if I were you. That's what happens when you take established players from other clubs and don't develop your own. And before you start to go on about Melbourne getting high picks in the draft, remember where you got the backbone of your premiership sides. Hodge 1 Roughy 2 Buddy 5 Lewis 7 Birchall 14 Rioli 12. Then you have cherry picked other club's talent, Mitchell, Burgoyne, O'Meara, Frawley, Gunston, now all the majority of posters on here want to do is poach some more.

I've supported Melbourne for over 60 years and I've put up with mainly crap since 1964, but I would never change and that's what a supporter does, he puts up with the good and in our case mainly bad, we don't throw a hissey fit if we lose. Some of the reactions on here are like little children that didn't get the right toy for their birthday and I thought that Hawthorn were a better club than that. How about you congratulate Melbourne for winning and stop trying to find excuses as to why you lost.

I don't expect this post to last but hope that a few of the more sensible posters on her take note.
Why would you even give a s**t? You do realise you're the one actually coming across a whiny little bitch, yeah?

You're just about to play/ get reamed in a prelim final and you're on here trying to justify your own pathetic inferiority complex?

GAGF.

Dees were stiff to have free kicks correctly called against them?

Yes.

And our final against Richmond was better than a lot of people want to admit. We were right up with them in terms of intensity and pressure in the first two and a half quarters, just failed to finish our work. And in conditions that suited them more than us. But don’t need to listen to me, Dunstall and Dermott both said same thing, and thought there was a lot to like about the team that week.

Unfortunately, I think that match also knocked the stuffing out of us, and we didn’t play with same intensity against Dees.

Hard decisions and good trading over summer to keep the upward trajectory. We’re doing ok.

I expect had we gone into the Dees game with Siss and Howe having a few more under their belts, Mitchell not getting injured early, and Jaegs, Birch and Stratts all playing, it may have been a different result.

We also beat GWS by 45 points, Geelong by 29 points and Hawthorn by 33, that enough to satisfy, 4 of the top 8.
You spout a lot of whiny crap to justify your existence.

BTW, you're still inconsequential.

Why would you even give a s**t? You do realise you're the one actually coming across a whiny little bitch, yeah?

You're just about to play/ get reamed in a prelim final and you're on here trying to justify your own pathetic inferiority complex?

GAGF.

No, just observing yours.

Difference is when predicting this Prelim final, the 2 Eagles blokes are back and you only have 1 of your 3 back.

Oh dear, struggling for relevance?
Enjoy the 1950's too much?

I'm just waiting for next week's headline, the oft repeated "Demons' Heartbreaking Loss".

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back