Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Patience. The tide will turn and not that far away and I'm NOT a hopeless romantic. Once it clicks , with the amount of untapped talent we have, I honestly think we will be nightmares to a lot teams, in particular esdn. Our gamestyle is tailored for plenty of thrashings , outrunning the opposition later in games . We have plenty of talent in the midfield, make no mistake, I'm keen to see how it gels in the next 12-24 months
still mathematically possible...

The game was won and lost in the coaches box.

One team had a clear idea of how they wanted to play with a simple game plan, and they know how to defend the ground - the other is completely rudderless and are clueless at defending anything.

One team had 4 months to prepare with a new coach.

The other has had 2 plus years to figure out a game plan and is still clueless.

Don’t blame the players. The coaches box is inept and woeful. A complete clean out is required at years end starting with Mitchell - he is clueless.

10+ goal smashings will be expected each and every week and when that happens maybe the board will take action and appoint a coach next year based on merit not one on training wheels. Of course the punters and coaching group will defer to their standard dribble - the youngsters will take time? What youngsters ? They were terrific, the opposition had just as many.

Sam’s BS may fly with some on here but when you’re getting pumped by 10 goals with basically a full list to pick from by a club that has a worse list than you and has had less time to prepare there’s nowhere to hide.

The finger needs to be pointed at the senior coach and his incompetent clueless mob - not the players. Our game plan is not woeful, it’s non existent.

You know, I get this in an opinion board and it's usually interesting to read others' opinions, especially when they differ from your own. Generally, you learn something, even if it's simply understanding how other people view things.

But to be frank... this post is a complete head scratcher.

Anyway, moving on. One swallow doesn't make a summer, and one poor performance doesn't make a crap season. Any competent statistician will tell you that at least three data points are needed for a trend. So my opinion (on this opinion board), is that we should be waiting until at least the end of Round 3 before chucking the toys out of the cot. I guess it's just unfortunate that a poor performance in Round 1 becomes an anchor point for fans, pundits, etc.

Good to know the eye didn't lie. We looked horrific after quarter time.

I think our ball use caused a lot of the problems. Horrible decisions and execution caused a disconnect with the forward line and allowed the bombers to stream forward with growing confidence.

View attachment 1635940

For all the commentary around the ruck situation, you'd have thought we were toweled up bloody hard.

Draper is decent. Phillips is a backup journeyman battler.

Reeves - 6 touches, 2 clangers, 1 mark, 0 tackles, 4 pressure acts (second least for the game)

Meek - 0 tackles

Phillips for his touches on 58% game time, whilst Draper played 77% game time. Draper also kicked two goals, and was robbed of another shot at goal from a clear mark, approx 30m out.

Reeves and Meek both had 71% game time for reference.

The promising side was the tap differential:
Reeves - 18 taps from 34 ruck contests
Meek - 12 from 30 ruck contests
Draper - 11 taps from 36 ruck contests
Phillips - 8 taps from 20 ruck contests
Weiderman - 0 taps from 8 ruck contests

Reeves also had one very nice tap to Worpel, who dished to Mackenzie for a nice clearance. I think they play is in the Mackenzie highlights package.

Reeves - 6 touches, 2 clangers, 1 mark, 0 tackles, 4 pressure acts (second least for the game)

Meek - 0 tackles

Phillips for his touches on 58% game time, whilst Draper played 77% game time. Draper also kicked two goals, and was robbed of another shot at goal from a clear mark, approx 30m out.

Reeves also had one very nice tap to Worpel, who dished to Mackenzie for a nice clearance. I think they play is in the Mackenzie highlights package.
Wasnt the worps to mackenzie to wingard. Who then drops the mark grabs it of the deck blind turns sells some candy and slots through goal of the year so far. That was some center clearance.

Last edited:

Meek - 0 tackles

My distaste for the commentary (not necessarily this post) about the ruck situation is the implication being seen here was that Draper had a good day which I straight up just don't believe.

You know, I get this in an opinion board and it's usually interesting to read others' opinions, especially when they differ from your own. Generally, you learn something, even if it's simply understanding how other people view things.

But to be frank... this post is a complete head scratcher.

Anyway, moving on. One swallow doesn't make a summer, and one poor performance doesn't make a crap season. Any competent statistician will tell you that at least three data points are needed for a trend. So my opinion (on this opinion board), is that we should be waiting until at least the end of Round 3 before chucking the toys out of the cot. I guess it's just unfortunate that a poor performance in Round 1 becomes an anchor point for fans, pundits, etc.
Head scratcher? The entire football industry agrees that it was a pathetic effort and the system and structure was deplorable - which is a coaching issue, it's hardly a head scratcher and that performance is not an outlier. It follows similar performances against Geelong and Collingwood over the last month.

Some of us already have our data points which are based on actual performances - not feelings or emotions. If some want to wait an extra month or a year to eventually recognise the substandard performances so be it, that's ok. Some of us acknowledge it on arrival.

Similarly, if and when performances improve we won't wait a month or a year to acknowledge them either, we will recognise them on arrival aswell.

We are currently an irrelevant club, anchored at the bottom of the table and have been for 4 years. It's not an opinion, it's reality, no one is denying it. We’re currently last, we move on, it doesn't mean we don't support the club just because we recognise it and voice it.

As for my opinion of the Coach - I share Gil’s view and that of many others. Good luck to those Clubs and staff who are planning deep 5 year+ rebuilds. Why? Because the recent data suggests they won't survive. The fans will survive, we’ll still be supporting the club next year and 10 years from now. The industry however no longer tolerates administrations who continually achieve bottom 4 results. It's not an opinion, it's reality. So Sam and co have their work cut out. We don't wish it upon them, it's just reality. He's a big boy, he understands this, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks.

Bottom 4 finishes are terminal for coaches - it's just how it is.

So, some of us will continue to cheer on the boys each week, regardless of performances and we might make some comments based on those performances. No one is chucking anything out of any cot - we’re just stating facts - so yes last weeks performance, systems and game plan was atrocious! it does not bode well for the coach whichever way anyone wants to spin it - we're not buying the dribble. Onto next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head scratcher? The entire football industry agrees that it was a pathetic effort and the system and structure was deplorable - which is a coaching issue, it's hardly a head scratcher and that performance is not an outlier. It follows similar performances against Geelong and Collingwood over the last month.

Some of us already have our data points which are based on actual performances - not feelings or emotions. If some want to wait an extra month or a year to eventually recognise the substandard performances so be it, that's ok. Some of us acknowledge it on arrival.

Similarly, if and when performances improve we won't wait a month or a year to acknowledge them either, we will recognise them on arrival aswell.

We are currently an irrelevant club, anchored at the bottom of the table and have been for 4 years. It's not an opinion, it's reality, no one is denying it. We’re currently last, we move on, it doesn't mean we don't support the club just because we recognise it and voice it.

As for my opinion of the Coach - I share Gil’s view and that of many others. Good luck to those Clubs and staff who are planning deep 5 year+ rebuilds. Why? Because the recent data suggests they won't survive. The fans will survive, we’ll still be supporting the club next year and 10 years from now. The industry however no longer tolerates administrations who continually achieve bottom 4 results. It's not an opinion, it's reality. So Sam and co have their work cut out. We don't wish it upon them, it's just reality. He's a big boy, he understands this, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks.

So, some of us will continue to cheer on the boys each week, regardless of performances and we might make some comments based on those performances. No one is chucking anything out of any cot - we’re just stating facts - so yes last weeks performance, systems and game plan was atrocious! it does not bode well for the coach whichever way anyone wants to spin it - we're not buying the dribble. Onto next week.
Nice melt.

1 loss and you want the coach 'cleaned out' at the end of the year because 'he's clueless'.

I reckon the funniest part is where you reference practice games as proof of why. Problem is, unlike all your idiotic posts about Jeka, you're likely even more serious this time.

Nice melt.

1 loss and you want the coach 'cleaned out' at the end of the year because 'he's clueless'.

I reckon the funniest part is where you reference practice games as proof of why. Problem is, unlike all your idiotic posts about Jeka, you're likely even more serious this time.
Spot on.

We turn up and we go again.

The baby ain't gonna be thrown out with the bath water.

We'll turn up and have another go. That's the way we play.

Kudos , nailed the username again.

I probably shouldnt have been suprised but the amount of posters moaning about lack of structures , cohesion and poor coaching or skipping around actually saying it is laughable and pretty disappointing actually .

The expectation of a smooth sailing gameplan in round 1 with an incredible young side plus large change in personal was totally unrealistic .
By all means be annoyed at effort and desire .

I dont coach AFL but high enough level in another sport . Change takes time . We work on 10,000 - 15,000 repatitions on average to gain consistent performance improvement after any change . And I know other professional sports work on the same data and curve of improvement
It takes time yet we are 1 game in with people calling for changes , issues with structure and system .
Well yes its predictable !!!

In 30 games yes no improvement across the board call it coaching. We should and want improvement across the board at that stage
1 game even 1 season is not long enough as much as people may not want to hear it

Kudos , nailed the username again.

I probably shouldnt have been suprised but the amount of posters moaning about lack of structures , cohesion and poor coaching or skipping around actually saying it is laughable and pretty disappointing actually .

The expectation of a smooth sailing gameplan in round 1 with an incredible young side plus large change in personal was totally unrealistic .
By all means be annoyed at effort and desire .

I dont coach AFL but high enough level in another sport . Change takes time . We work on 10,000 - 15,000 repatitions on average to gain consistent performance improvement after any change . And I know other professional sports work on the same data and curve of improvement
It takes time yet we are 1 game in with people calling for changes , issues with structure and system .
Well yes its predictable !!!

In 30 games yes no improvement across the board call it coaching. We should and want improvement across the board at that stage
1 game even 1 season is not long enough as much as people may not want to hear it
We're hardly saying anything that everyone in the industry isn't saying. We acknowledge it, it's not good and doesn't bode well for those coaching the team. I don't care who coaches the team, I'll still support the club even if they finish last 5 years running.

All we’re saying is it's highly unlikely those leading the club will be around if we post thosenthoesnof performances and finish at the bottom end of the ladder - were not saying anything controversial, we’re just repeating what the vast majority of the industry is saying and highlighting the reality of the job and industry.

We are currently an irrelevant club, anchored at the bottom of the table and have been for 4 years. Michelle.Mouhtaropoulos@anz.com, no one is denying it. We’re currently last, we move on, it doesn't mean we don't support the club just because we recognise it and voice it.

I refer to my earlier comment about statistical competency. One performance, and you're saying it's not an outlier. Hate to tell you fella, you can't determine whether or not a single data point is an outlier. Sorry if that's pulled a factual plank from your dump.

Re "we are currently an irrelevant club ... it's not an opinion, it's reality" – how do you explain the 70K+ members then? Presumably the club is relevant to them? And you're the one banging on about data points...

So yep, I stand by my head scratcher comment re your earlier post, and quite happy to call this one a dummy spit.

Do agree with you re cheering the team on each week, don't mind you having a different opinion to me, just find your manner and logic a bit bemusing.

Peace.

We're hardly saying anything that everyone in the industry isn't saying. We acknowledge it, it's not good and doesn't bode well for those coaching the team. I don't care who coaches the team, I'll still support the club even if they finish last 5 years running.

All we’re saying is it's highly unlikely those leading the club will be around if we post thosenthoesnof performances and finish at the bottom end of the ladder - were not saying anything controversial, we’re just repeating what the vast majority of the industry is saying and highlighting the reality of the job and industry.
Bollocks. There’s a world of difference between saying that it will be tough for those in charge now to survive if results don’t improve quickly, and saying that the reason for the poor result is that the coaches are clueless.

You said the latter and defend it with the former.

Are you talking in the third person? I can’t see anyone else peddling out the same narrative you are.

I'd say having talent on the list is far more important than coaching.

But both will improve eventually.
I think the coaching staff is just as important otherwise GWS and GCS would have won a premiership by now.

Bollocks. There’s a world of difference between saying that it will be tough for those in charge now to survive if results don’t improve quickly, and saying that the reason for the poor result is that the coaches are clueless.

You said the latter and defend it with the former.
Forget it, lets move on, let's create a safer, fun place. Forgive me for repeating what every public commentator is saying and the vast majority of the industry is saying. Let's move onto next week. 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Back