Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked like we played the day before, how did greene barely make any repeat leads

Would like to see Moore as permanent in the middle get Brockman or butler in, we need some fast pressure forwards

Never watched the replay as it was a terrible day. Losing is one thing but it was the way we lost.

So Siss was captaining for the first time. Visualise the thought …….. his leadership on the day was admirable for me. He was the only fn player that played his role really well while being the only one who flew the flag for his teammates. He deserves to be captain. On a few occasions I remember him disposing of the ball but then he would drag, niggle and be aggressive to the closest opposition player that was near him. Trying to gain any possible advantage he could. He played his guts out under the dire circumstances. If others don’t step up to help him out I am worried that he will become a target and will then lose it given his passion and personality. Stick DGB next to him as we need another hard arse character beside him to share the load!

hey, first post. I am a sometimes BigF reader but usually just trying to get the downlow on where the Mighty Hawks are at!

Was at the game yesterday and it's pretty hard to argue that the effort (or lack thereof) was pretty disappointing. Some of observations differ a little from the general consensus on here but just wanted to come here and say that that melts after one game absolutely take the cake. I understand the effort was pretty lax and that's what is likely fuelling it. Spare me too much of a pasting for my opinions, as even though I love my footy and had many great times as a Hawks fan......my work / family life is extremely busy so I don't watch every minute of every game these days.

-I thought Meek was solid enough in his first game and impacted the game far greater than big Ned. It felt that we won more / better quality centre clearances when he was rucking and actually tried to play a link-up role. Seems tidy by foot too. Just the way I saw it though. Ned needs to get those mitts to ball and clunk a few.

-McKenzie. Great debut. The poise he showed under fire from the opposition was fantastic to watch and gives me great hope that we selected correctly at the draft table.

-Kosi was poor, no argument here but but but do people realise how crap the ball was delivered into our F50? it was either 20m wide, a floater coming in or kicked to the defenders advantage on most occasions. He could have been Jeremy Cameron y'day and it wouldn't have made any difference.
I also felt at times he lead to the right places only for guys up the ground to ignore the lean and hang onto or double back or handball to the flank / pocket. Perhaps they have no confidence in him.

-Day. Tried to take the game on to his credit but seemed a deer in the headlights and perhaps struggled because the targets weren't presenting.

-The Bramble selection as a small defender baffles me. He looks OK playing the loose running role but he can't defend the man at all it seems.

-Why could we not apply any sort of forward pressure? We made Mason Redman look like a superstar as he walked out of our defence....

-Umpiring standards still baffle me. The missed trip on Breust??? Did I see something that wasn't there? Why did Redman get a second shot on goal in the 1st quarter (missed the first but slotted the second one...) I was at that end of the ground and it looked like a scum player came in and shepherded Newc on the mark? No one in our area seemed to understand it either. They still hate Sicily, could be long a year now he's captain. Not sure how many times he was nudged in the back when playing in front.

-One positive for me is I think the likes of Newc and Dyl Moore won't be as quiet in every game. Newc will get even more attention this year.

anyway, hopefully not a rant. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

hey, first post. I am a sometimes BigF reader but usually just trying to get the downlow on where the Mighty Hawks are at!

Was at the game yesterday and it's pretty hard to argue that the effort (or lack thereof) was pretty disappointing. Some of observations differ a little from the general consensus on here but just wanted to come here and say that that melts after one game absolutely take the cake. I understand the effort was pretty lax and that's what is likely fuelling it. Spare me too much of a pasting for my opinions, as even though I love my footy and had many great times as a Hawks fan......my work / family life is extremely busy so I don't watch every minute of every game these days.

-I thought Meek was solid enough in his first game and impacted the game far greater than big Ned. It felt that we won more / better quality centre clearances when he was rucking and actually tried to play a link-up role. Seems tidy by foot too. Just the way I saw it though. Ned needs to get those mitts to ball and clunk a few.

-McKenzie. Great debut. The poise he showed under fire from the opposition was fantastic to watch and gives me great hope that we selected correctly at the draft table.

-Kosi was poor, no argument here but but but do people realise how crap the ball was delivered into our F50? it was either 20m wide, a floater coming in or kicked to the defenders advantage on most occasions. He could have been Jeremy Cameron y'day and it wouldn't have made any difference.
I also felt at times he lead to the right places only for guys up the ground to ignore the lean and hang onto or double back or handball to the flank / pocket. Perhaps they have no confidence in him.

-Day. Tried to take the game on to his credit but seemed a deer in the headlights and perhaps struggled because the targets weren't presenting.

-The Bramble selection as a small defender baffles me. He looks OK playing the loose running role but he can't defend the man at all it seems.

-Why could we not apply any sort of forward pressure? We made Mason Redman look like a superstar as he walked out of our defence....

-Umpiring standards still baffle me. The missed trip on Breust??? Did I see something that wasn't there? Why did Redman get a second shot on goal in the 1st quarter (missed the first but slotted the second one...) I was at that end of the ground and it looked like a scum player came in and shepherded Newc on the mark? No one in our area seemed to understand it either. They still hate Sicily, could be long a year now he's captain. Not sure how many times he was nudged in the back when playing in front.

-One positive for me is I think the likes of Newc and Dyl Moore won't be as quiet in every game. Newc will get even more attention this year.

Cheers
Jeez, great first post. You should stick around.

Cheers
Mason Redman is a good player. I'll pull you up there but at least make him earn his money. His 1 wood is run and create and at times kick long goals and we gave him every opportunity to do all that. Alot of pretty brain dead game sense that's for sure.

Cheers
I also strongly critic the Inside 50 entries, these have been so poor for so long, we give our forwards no chance of winning a contest. Think we need a change in our buildup in going forward, need to stop bombing it inside 50 to the intercepting defender.

Make sure you vote for Chad for goal of the year!

The ease at which teams score against us is a concern so far this year and kind of last year
These pressure numbers are a worry
I'm sure the team will respond
It's only round 1, but losing to the scum hurts

We seemed 2nd to the majority of contests, instead of chasing ball, we chased ass all day, then when we did get it, we made poor decisions and didn't have many good i50s after quarter time which has been an area of improvement this preseason

It seems like this group saves their "who gives a fk" effort for the bombers, 2 years In a row now we have had terrible losses to the bombers

The way it rebounds out of our f50 is a concern, but that just goes to show we had seemly no pressure on our opponents at all, if we keep this up we will have plenty of 100 plus scored against us this year FACT, I'm guessing we want to win shoot outs? I hope we can.... (there were plays in the last half where Ridley or others would mark deep in our forward line then within seconds and with ease have shots at the other end of the field, Hawks players cosplaying witches hats)

We lack a target man up forward, I thought Kosi tried, but he got taken off for Nash halfway in the 3rd quarter and Greene is a 3rd tall not a kpp, our rucks hardly seem a threat up forward, we will miss McEvoys influence and strong marking ability, as well as his goal kicking.

Bad loss, but I'm trying to keep positive

Last edited:
Outside of the poor performance I couldn’t believe some of the umpiring decisions. the one that stuck out and maybe there is something I don’t know but mason redman ran out from full back and when he kicked it he was roughly at 40m from
Goal with no bounce. Has anything changed or is it still 15m then bounce? in which case he ran twice as far as allowed. Baffling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s worse.

Lowest hawks team since 2010.

View attachment 1635195
The game reminded me of the Saints game last year. Largely effort based.

We came out the next week and beat Geelong.

I am not a gambling advocate but i wouldn't bet against us producing a response based on turning around these effort metrics.

I’ve a lot of fondness for Tippa, however seeing him come out and basically get the Ben Stratton last game feel good treatment was ******* embarrassing. That’s the sort of thing that happens with zero pressure, and makes me somewhat hopeful we can play significantly better.

Blank has zero upside he will always be a big giant stopper he will never be a player that can rebound never a player that can intercept Mark only a stopper. Denver hasn’t even reached anywhere near his potential yet
That’s a pathetic take, Blanck didn’t really intercept last year, his strengths are his closing speed which is very good, he’s quick and athletic, he’s big and strong, he’s a good one on one defender but can easily get his man on a lead and he spoils to kill the ball. With ball in hand he’s a pretty handy kick and he’s very composed, and with his athletic ability, composure and pretty good kicking he can rebound when given the chance to. But we obviously have players specifically for this.

Because of his ability to read the play, it transferred to a few intercepts against Essendon.

only having the 7 disposals, but at 86% and had 3 marks, 2 intercept marks (1 contested) and 4 intercept possessions.

Aswell as 5 spoils, and he showed in his first game last year against the dogs where he had 4 rebounds on debut.

It’s not lighting up the stat sheet but he’s shown the ability to, but seeing as he’s a defend first player, he will only intercept if he has the chance, otherwise he plays to an even bigger strength which is his ability to kill the ball.

I’ve a lot of fondness for Tippa, however seeing him come out and basically get the Ben Stratton last game feel good treatment was ******* embarrassing. That’s the sort of thing that happens with zero pressure, and makes me somewhat hopeful we can play significantly better.
Couldn’t help but enjoy the Tippa goal. We were far gone anyway and it’s a good story even if he does play for the most evil empire team ever everest

McRae is employing a very similar style of footy to as what Mitchell is wanting to play.

Big difference is the clear disparity in skill and decision making by hand and foot, and the intensity of their press when they lose the ball. If they get exposed on the turnover they are cooked.

Sam could have made some changes to stem the tide (in fact he did the opposite by taking Finn off Merrett and placing one of our best defenders forward) but I don't mind him letting the boys try to fight it out with plan A.

McRae is employing a very similar style of footy to as what Mitchell is wanting to play.

Big difference is the clear disparity in skill and decision making by hand and foot, and the intensity of their press when they lose the ball. If they get exposed on the turnover they are cooked.

Sam could have made some changes to stem the tide (in fact he did the opposite by taking Finn off Merrett and placing one of our best defenders forward) but I don't mind him letting the boys try to fight it out with plan A.
Pies first choice midfield is Pendlebury, Adams, Crisp, De Goey, Sidebottom and Mitchell, with a Daicos or two thrown in for good measure.

That’s about…..4900 AFL games’ experience. 😉

Fly is an excellent coach but he’s got the cattle with the games under their belt to be selfless and smart when they can’t get the footy themselves.

Their D2/D3 game (defensive work 10 - 40m from the ball) is elite. Then when they create turnovers, they’re clever enough to work out if they can impact offensively, or hold back to help the back 6 if the ball gets turned over again.

They also have Moore, Murphy and (absent broken arm) Howe who are happy to hold back inside D50 or at least play goal side of their opponents.

We will take a long time to develop the defensive synergy the Pies have.

Right on Denver

Shocking take on Blanck
I like blanck it’s only his second year let’s judge him in 2 years from now. Our problem maybe list balance we have a lot down back we are building the middle and are weak forward, so we may need to give to get like the bulldogs have done. A star mid to complement Newk Mackenzie Ward Worpel Cmac and a second kpf who might be ramsden are the priorities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back