Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I like blanck it’s only his second year let’s judge him in 2 years from now. Our problem maybe list balance we have a lot down back we are building the middle and are weak forward, so we may need to give to get like the bulldogs have done. A star mid to complement Newk Mackenzie Ward Worpel Cmac and a second kpf who might be ramsden are the priorities.
Reid - Star Mid
Mccabe - CHB

Ben King FA

Set (Last one is hopeful)

A combination of positioning and work rate.

In the example I posted essendon’s first disposal after the intercept is short to a player. I’ll track three Essendon players through this passage to highlight the difference. With five players lined up across the half forward line, we are positioned her to stop a short kick into the corridor. Unfortunately, we aren’t effective here. The player circled top of image below is the next to receive the ball. The one below him will receive a handball from that player. And the third player circled is involved in the marking contest where Martin ends up with it and passes to Weidermann. Let’s call them players 1, 2 and 3.

[...]

So it looks like they had players everywhere but its just one or two players making bad decisions which opens up the corridor and allows them to find space in a part of the ground where we should have them under intense pressure.
Brishawk thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do these analyses and share with us. I always find them interesting and useful. Cheers.

Couldn’t help but enjoy the Tippa goal. We were far gone anyway and it’s a good story even if he does play for the most evil empire team ever everest
You must live in a completely different universe, was the worst thing that happened all day, my thoughts instantly went to "what could have happened if we could have coaxed Cyril back..." then I got depressed.

You must live in a completely different universe, was the worst thing that happened all day, my thoughts instantly went to "what could have happened if we could have coaxed Cyril back..." then I got depressed.
I actually said this to my eldest when tippa kicked that goal. Just imagine if we had Cyril return after a year it would have been even bigger than Tippa returning

Every time the camera was on Mitchell in the box his eyes were glazed. My kids asked me if he was going to cry. I told them no, but he's got a lot to think about
It's just as much a learning experience for a second year coach as it is for the players.
You would assume he would of taken quite a bit from that loss.

Thought Hardwick looked great up forward. Would like the experiment to continue, as we really don’t have many avenues to goal.
How long is Morris out for? I have a feeling having Morris down back would make the loss of Hardwick less of an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patience. The tide will turn and not that far away and I'm NOT a hopeless romantic. Once it clicks , with the amount of untapped talent we have, I honestly think we will be nightmares to a lot teams, in particular esdn. Our gamestyle is tailored for plenty of thrashings , outrunning the opposition later in games . We have plenty of talent in the midfield, make no mistake, I'm keen to see how it gels in the next 12-24 months

Looking at the top 8 of the last few seasons, most teams that make it to September average 90-120 games across their best 22. Freo were a bit of an anomaly last year with a very young squad (in the mid 80s).

We are fair way from that figure with just 68. Getting 40+ games into this cohort and 20+ in next years and we will be well on our way.

Not having Lewis makes a massive difference, gives the opposition a fwd to worry about and our players a level of confidence in kicking the ball in that a contest would be at least halved.

The issue is that in the 3 peat, we had Rough, Hale, Gunston, Buddy there for that.

Now we’ve got:
Lewis.. who’s injured.
Breust..great at being front and centre
Moore.. same as Breust
Kosi… erm..
Fergus.. too early to tell
…and a great lack of pressure fast small forwards to keep the ball in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeez, you’re easy to please.

Haha, I think I've spent 20+ posts venting about how garbage we played, how underprepared we were, how Mitchell was completely outcoached, how damn disappointing it was, how guys like Reeves should not be playing as he offers nothing to the senior side (yet), how Bramble and Frost are not good enough, etc. It was time for some levity.

How long is Morris out for? I have a feeling having Morris down back would make the loss of Hardwick less of an issue.

We definitely need a better contest in our front half and Dimma looked to help provide that.
My perception of our backs is that they like "nice" football and Morris coming in would help stiffen our defence and facilitate the Dimma shift fwd.

HFC have released their injury update, he's only a couple of weeks away.

Cal’s wearing his bombers duffel coat again.

Draper took 1 mark for the game and had 8 disposals at 39% eff…. So of course he’s their Peter Wright replacement. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back