AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Just something interesting that I was thinking about after looking at the Hislop delisting epic.

At the end of 2006 we traded Soloman and pick 52 to Freo (Brock O'Brien?????) and from picks 42 and 47 we drafted Houli and Reimers.

I would suggest that we are in front there.

To me, it's a similar trade to Schwass and Grant, for some reason people think it was win-win trade, Grant just retired and finished playing over 300 games and will be regarded as one of the all-time greats of North Melbourne, how anyone can say both teams won that trade is beyond me! Schwass played 98 games for the Swans, Grant played about 240 for North Melbourne.

Solomon will play approximately 50 games for Fremantle, O'Brien = meh, Houli and Reimers may play 200 games each.

To me, it's a similar trade to Schwass and Grant, for some reason people think it was win-win trade, Grant just retired and finished playing over 300 games and will be regarded as one of the all-time greats of North Melbourne, how anyone can say both teams won that trade is beyond me! Schwass played 98 games for the Swans, Grant played about 240 for North Melbourne.

Solomon will play approximately 50 games for Fremantle, O'Brien = meh, Houli and Reimers may play 200 games each.

I think you did well with your 2 picks but we're more than happy with Brock O'Brien. He'll play every game in 09 barring injury. As for Solly he's been fantastic up until he elbowed Ling.
The guy who did sweet FA for us though was Johnson. I know we payed bugger all for him but thats what we got back. The best value we have though is definately Keplar. Will be an integral part of our side for the next 6-8 years and he cost us a hanfull of rice.

I think you did well with your 2 picks but we're more than happy with Brock O'Brien. He'll play every game in 09 barring injury. As for Solly he's been fantastic up until he elbowed Ling.
The guy who did sweet FA for us though was Johnson. I know we payed bugger all for him but thats what we got back. The best value we have though is definately Keplar. Will be an integral part of our side for the next 6-8 years and he cost us a hanfull of rice.

You think nobody else thought that before you? We stuck with Kep for way to long, I thought he had it but he obviously never has done nothing at Freo to change my mind.

Before we start p*ssing in our pockets, can we just wait 5 years on this. Solly has been fantastic at Fremantle and O'Brien has played just a handful of games.

Reimers and Houli look okay at the moment bu tif you go back Dyson seemed to be a super talent after his 2nd year and look at how most supporters rate him now.

Besides why is it so important that supporters have 'wins' over other teams when it comes to trading ?

So long as the players and teams involved are satisfied then who cares.

Reimers and Houli look okay at the moment bu tif you go back Dyson seemed to be a super talent after his 2nd year and look at how most supporters rate him now.

I've never thought Dyson was a super talent. I think only Essendon supporters and Sheedy gave him credit, that kicking style was never going to make him a superstar.

Hhhmmmmm. Rice! :D

Many Essendon people, who also once had high-hopes for Kepler, will still think we won that deal.

Good luck!

Cleary won the Solly trade.

As for Kepler, I had high hopes for him and kept telling myself he was just the unluckiest player in the league and constantly played out of position.

I'm not so sure on that anymore, but Freo will get a few more years out of him. Wouldn't go as far to say he'll be an integral part of their team, but a decent 3rd/4th tall.

I think overall essendon will prove to have won the day on this one, but as yalls said.... solly has been sensational for us, and would have featured in our top 5 B&F again this year if he ahdnt of belted the suitcase out of ling.

Bradley is an interesting one, did he ever play on the wing with the bombers? when he has pinch hit in the ruck he has been great because he has good endurance, i think he averaged just over two goals a game this year, and that was while he was only spending 60% of the game on the ground, i think kepler will end up sitting on a wing and doing a pretty good job for a fair while, gee its entertaining if not frustrating when he gets in the backline though, he just looks like a fish out of water, i can understand why bombers fans didnt rate him as he should never ever venture past the back end of the centre circle. I just cant understand why the bombers didnt give him more of a crack up forward or on a wingg :confused:

i think yalls is being too harsh on mark johnson, he was easily in our best 18 last year, was a great role model for the younger guys at the club, every one who i have heard speak of him, only talk about him in glowing terms. he was a much better option up forward than farmer by the end of the year, adn i would say that if it wasnt for his restaraunts starting to struggle when he moved away, that he would be playing on next year.

Brock obrien will be a great back pocket one day, and he comes from the kyle reimers school of hard knocks too which i like.

houli and reimers are fantastic young players though, so all in all, essendon may be in front but the dockers certainly wouldnt be losing any sleep over what we recieved:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought Reimers' was a steal...

Especially how we got him as a bottom age footballer... 12 months later he could've been going top 5 in the 2007 draft.

I think Essendon's recruiting staff have done very well to make the most of those picks. It is always hard comparing picks as if we ahd kept the picks ...chances are we would have used one on O brien anyway.

Yes Remiers and Houli are good ....I'd like to give it another couple of seasons before I declare them 200 gamers though. Brock I am not usre if I am convinced - however he has a big heart and this season will tell the tale.

Solly is a great player and I hope just a little of his approach to the game rubs off on our younger players.

Finally on Kep ...could I ask especially the guys who bag him - have you actually watched him play for us? He was very good.

12 goals 2 in 9 games ...averaged 16 disposals and took 5 marks a game.

Now he is no David Hille but if you compare their around the ground work just to give you a point on how much he improved this year for us -

Hille - Bradley
16.5 - 15.8...... kicks
5.0 - 5.1 ......... marks
1.0 - 1.3 .........goals
2.3 - 2.4 .........clearances
2.8 - 2.6 .........inside 50's

Now of course Hille is a much better player but remember Kepler's averages were on very reduced game time behind Sandilands.

I for one was very happy with his performance and with him just about to turn 23 - I think it is possible he may just step up again.

I am hoping Hislop falls to us and perhaps we can then even the ledger.

I think overall essendon will prove to have won the day on this one, but as yalls said.... solly has been sensational for us, and would have featured in our top 5 B&F again this year

bloody generous praise indeed for solly, he puts in for sure but the game past him iafter that stellar 2001 I reckon, I recall him always getting the job on richo and doing well to...wouldnt stay a qtr with him now and richo has 4 or 5 yrs on him:rolleyes:

bloody generous praise indeed for solly, he puts in for sure but the game past him iafter that stellar 2001 I reckon, I recall him always getting the job on richo and doing well to...wouldnt stay a qtr with him now and richo has 4 or 5 yrs on him:rolleyes:

yeah but he hasnt being playing in defence, or the midfield, he has been playing as a forward, and has been fantastic, his pressure in the forward line has been second to none, and as i said he was top five in the B&F in 07 and would have been again this year if he didnt belt the paddlepop lion

I think Essendon's recruiting staff have done very well to make the most of those picks. It is always hard comparing picks as if we ahd kept the picks ...chances are we would have used one on O brien anyway.

Yes Remiers and Houli are good ....I'd like to give it another couple of seasons before I declare them 200 gamers though. Brock I am not usre if I am convinced - however he has a big heart and this season will tell the tale.

Solly is a great player and I hope just a little of his approach to the game rubs off on our younger players.

Finally on Kep ...could I ask especially the guys who bag him - have you actually watched him play for us? He was very good.

12 goals 2 in 9 games ...averaged 16 disposals and took 5 marks a game.

Now he is no David Hille but if you compare their around the ground work just to give you a point on how much he improved this year for us -

Hille - Bradley
16.5 - 15.8...... kicks
5.0 - 5.1 ......... marks
1.0 - 1.3 .........goals
2.3 - 2.4 .........clearances
2.8 - 2.6 .........inside 50's

Now of course Hille is a much better player but remember Kepler's averages were on very reduced game time behind Sandilands.

I for one was very happy with his performance and with him just about to turn 23 - I think it is possible he may just step up again.

I am hoping Hislop falls to us and perhaps we can then even the ledger.

if you ask any essendon supporter keplers stats werent the issue, it was what he did with those stats. i have watched him pretty closely at freo this year and the issues still remain, his decision making is poor, his skills are pretty poor as well and he has pretty much no strength, most first year players would be about to knock him over. kepler was always very very mobile for a big man and moving around the ground was never going to be an issue with him, however imposing himself on a contest and using the ball well was.

if you ask any essendon supporter keplers stats werent the issue, it was what he did with those stats. i have watched him pretty closely at freo this year and the issues still remain, his decision making is poor, his skills are pretty poor as well and he has pretty much no strength, most first year players would be about to knock him over. kepler was always very very mobile for a big man and moving around the ground was never going to be an issue with him, however imposing himself on a contest and using the ball well was.

i will agree that his decision making is not always the best, hence the reason why you would never have him as a backman, however as a backup ruckman come forward he played well, his kicking for goal was excellent and he never made any glaring errors that cost us games.... however obviously he will need to take another step next year to really prove the doubters wrong

Didn't put hitouts in, Moo?

And this'd be the fifth or sixth thread we've had on how we won this trade.

Bradley: 2.8
Hille: 18.2

Why'd we try comparing Kepler & Hille again?

Kepler got a lot more of the ball when he played in the ruck but he wasn't a good ruckman at all... hmm, maybe he should play wing.:)

Ok, good luck to Keplar in his new role as a front running wingman in a poor Fremantle side...

Now that is said, the guy is honestly a gump, like really, un-coordinated and lacks passion for the ball and the contest. I'm quite happy to see the back of him to be honest because he was just a waste of space on our list. Probably needed the kick in the pants to improve his game and determination. If he makes it at Freo, good on him, but was never going to make it with Essendon.

As for the trade, as much as I love Solly, we won this trade hands down due to some fine late choice recruiting.

Didn't put hitouts in, Moo?

Bradley: 2.8
Hille: 18.2

Why'd we try comparing Kepler & Hille again?

Kepler got a lot more of the ball when he played in the ruck but he wasn't a good ruckman at all... hmm, maybe he should play wing.:)

I am not trying to hide the hit outs or such and nor am was I suggesting Kep is fit to tie Hilles bootlaces in that regard.

I was just trying to put into context that Kepler with very limited game time has been very effective around the ground. I used Hille as he is a reference point for you guys.

On his poor skills and decision making - that is not an issue when he is inside 50 ...he has been a deadly accuarate in front of the big sticks.

We will agree to disagree but Kepler is a player who you disgarded a little too soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back