Green Bay Packers
This Hawthorn team on the field.

B: Brent Guerra, Josh Gibson, Matthew Suckling
HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Jarrod Kayler-Thomson
C: Rick Ladson, Luke Hodge, Xavier Ellis
HF: Clinton Young, Jarryd Roughead, Cyril Rioli
F: Rhan Hooper, Lance Franklin, Garry Moss
R: Wayde Skipper, Travis Tuck, Jordan Lewis
INT: Luke Lowden, Jordan Williams, Taylor Duryea, (blank)

I'm guessing most Hawthorn supporters could work out the significance of this team...I hope I missed somebody, then you could have a Left Footers 22 and a Right Footers 22.

Gilham's a righty. As is Burger. And Mitchell and Sewell and Bateman and all the other players I didn't mention.

It's a very good team, Toro, balanced on feet but top AFL players work with both sides of their body to be of advantage to their teams.

So most of those Hawks players have a preference for one foot but can use both, handball with either hand and baulk with either side of the body. Otherwise many of them wouldn't be in Clarko's side.

A footballer that uses his left foot in preferrence to his right foot (unless his right leg is injured eg G Hocking at the end of his career) is a left footer.

No idea of its validity but I read on BF that Mitch started off as a lefty but a junior coach made him change to a righty early on.

If this is the case then be happy - you are all correct...

Hawthorn's probably the only team in the league whose left footed team would beat there right footers, as every other team wouldn't even be close to fielding a full lineup.

Mitchell's a right footer who kicks with his left foot a lot. His left foot kicks are usually the darts, whereas his right foot has more penetration and air.

No idea of its validity but I read on BF that Mitch started off as a lefty but a junior coach made him change to a righty early on.

If this is the case then be happy - you are all correct...

This story if true is completely congruent with the facts and also another story that I read that he uses different hands to bat and bowl when playing cricket.

Sam Mitchell is left handed.

This can be clearly seen by the fact he almost exclusively uses his left hand for hand passing.

For example in the first half of the NAB cup game v. Western Bulldogs, he had seven hand passes (two of which were throws) and only one was executed with his right hand when he was forced to go to his right side by an imminent tackle coming over his left shoulder. Similarly in the last quarter of the Richmond NAB he had 4 or 5 hand passes all of which were left handed.

Uses both feet equally in general play excusively going to the protected side of his body. Kicking behind the mark he generally kicks using the side of his body that faces the direction of his intended kick. Where there is no advantage i.e. he is kicking to his front or is having a set shot for goal from in front, he will use his right side. This is the reason why people mistakenly think that he is right handed/a natural right foot kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to his father, who probably would know, Sam is naturally LEFT footed.

Sam was made to practice kicking with his right foot (aged about 5) in order to become the two-sided player that he is.

According to his father, who probably would know, Sam is naturally LEFT footed.

Sam was made to practice kicking with his right foot (aged about 5) in order to become the two-sided player that he is.

I heard the opposite but i dont know either of them.

I have never heard of a player who kicks set shots with their non-prefered foot. Sam kicks set shots with his right. He is very natural both sides, but surely is a right footer based on set shots.

There was a bloke plaing country football about a decade or so back that was lockett like in his dominance, but kicked like Dunkley.

Spent an off-season developing a routine for his 'other' foot and used it exclusively for goal-kicking, not in general play (a williams-esque step-step-kick runup).

The following year he had amazing accuracy, and was picked up by a VFL club where he proceeded to never play a game.

-------
I thought Mitchell was born lefty (left hand throw, serve, bat, handpass), developed his right to the point it became his dominant kick, then a junior coach told him he needed to kick on his left to progress due to his short stature and lack of speed.

Either way, he's probably one of the top-10 dual-footed players in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back