ODI South Africa Women v England Women (World Cup 2nd semi final) @ Christchurch, Thurs 31 March @ 12pm local (10am AEDT)

Who will advance to the final?

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha! Eccleston finally turns one. How the hell is this dead straight slow rubbish rated number 1 in the world? Bowling without any decent team mates that's how. Geeze the world needs to learn how to bat when someone bowls dead straight but looks like a spinner. 6 wickets all gifted by poor batting.

Haha! Eccleston finally turns one. How the hell is this dead straight slow rubbish rated number 1 in the world? Bowling without any decent team mates that's how. Geeze the world needs to learn how to bat when someone bowls dead straight but looks like a spinner. 6 wickets all gifted by poor batting.
The world also needs to call out those who make ill informed comments about something they no little or nothing about.

Spin bowling is about a lot more than just turning the ball and even a five year old should know at least that much.

The world also needs to call out those who make ill informed comments about something they no little or nothing about.

Spin bowling is about a lot more than just turning the ball and even a five year old should know at least that much.
Except I bowled spin for my state. So maybe I do know a little bit about it.

So why make such an stupid comment?
OK, so maybe I shouldn't have used the word turn. A better word is work. She puts no work on the ball. A perfect place to see this is in her stupid appeal for lbw off the middle of the bat. The seam has a bit sticking out and you could see the rotation. All her deliveries are the way kids bowl off spin. Index finger coming down one side of the ball. Minimum revs. No drift, and she varies her flight, but that is irrelevant if she can't make the ball dip. Because of her bowling action she bowls the ball with under spin more than most, so the ball won't dip. There is never over spin, so the length is exactly what the batter thinks it will be. None of her 6 wickets were won, they were all received. It was exactly the same in their tour of Australia. Alana King though has the makings of a great spinner, if he actually has a jump in her delivery stride, so she could get to bounce to vary, and she developed a wrongun, she would be an absolute once in a generation bowler.

OK, so maybe I shouldn't have used the word turn. A better word is work. She puts no work on the ball. A perfect place to see this is in her stupid appeal for lbw off the middle of the bat. The seam has a bit sticking out and you could see the rotation. All her deliveries are the way kids bowl off spin. Index finger coming down one side of the ball. Minimum revs. No drift, and she varies her flight, but that is irrelevant if she can't make the ball dip. Because of her bowling action she bowls the ball with under spin more than most, so the ball won't dip. There is never over spin, so the length is exactly what the batter thinks it will be. None of her 6 wickets were won, they were all received. It was exactly the same in their tour of Australia. Alana King though has the makings of a great spinner, if he actually has a jump in her delivery stride, so she could get to bounce to vary, and she developed a wrongun, she would be an absolute once in a generation bowler.
Maybe her performance today had to do with England's position in the game. I checked a few video's on You tube and she does vary not only the speed of her deliveries but the position of the seem and the amount of work she puts on the ball. All signs that she is an intelligent bowler, but whether she is the number one bowler in the world is up for debate.

Maybe her performance today had to do with England's position in the game. I checked a few video's on You tube and she does vary not only the speed of her deliveries but the position of the seem and the amount of work she puts on the ball. All signs that she is an intelligent bowler, but whether she is the number one bowler in the world is up for debate.
Admittedly the tour of Australia is the first time I've watched her, but expecting a 5.7 ounce ball to deviate in the air with such little work on it is asking a bit much. Yes she varies length, but for a spinner the length should be varied by changing the axis of rotation not by actually aiming at a different length. From what i have seen she just placed the ball where she wants it to land. If you want to see a finger spinner with actual craft watch Lisa Sthalekar one of the best exponents of the craft ever in the Women's game. I remember bowling to the Australian indoor women's team many years ago (mid eighties) because England were coming out with a spinner that had a pretty decent rep, and had been carving them up in the England scene. The national women's coach asked me to come down to an indoor centre in Oakleigh and bowl to the Australian team to get used to a ball with a ot of work on it. Was actually a lot of fun. Turned out to be a false alarm, they had no trouble.

Back