St Kilda parts ways with coach Alan Richardson: report

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant help but fell he's the victim of a botched re-build.

McCartin and Goddard in 2014 and Billings in 2013 (decent player, but that draft was a cracker) hurt.

That and we bottomed out just at a time when GWS and GC were being given 1st rnders hand over first

Considering Petracca was the alternative the McCartin pick wasn't that big a miss.

The point was that Richardson's approach to drafting is flawed. Such a flawed approach may have not stung him too much then (although Petracca at least gets on the park), but is bound to hurt him eventually. St Kilda's drafting hasn't been too great lately.

The writing was already on the wall one year ago anyway.....

2016 and 2017 they narrowly missed finals. they had bugger all injuries too in both those seasons and Riewoldt and Montagna were important players too.

Once Riewoldt and Montagna retired, there was a domino effect. they fell off a cliff in 2018 and they had 4 wins and a draw. Mind you, like this year, saints were crippled by injuries in 2018 as well.

It doesnt help when your recruiting of your 1st rounders has been bad too.

That and we bottomed out just at a time when GWS and GC were being given 1st rnders hand over first
You can debate that one.

But if you look at what west coast got in the 2010 draft: Gaff, Lycett, Darling and Jeremy McGovern. not a bad bunch of guys the eagles picked up despite GC had most of the 1st rounders that year.

The point was that Richardson's approach to drafting is flawed. Such a flawed approach may have not stung him too much then (although Petracca at least gets on the park), but is bound to hurt him eventually. St Kilda's drafting hasn't been too great lately.

So Alan Richardson handpicked the draftees then did he ??

I'd be sacking the recruiting department first.

So Alan Richardson handpicked the draftees then did he ??

I'd be sacking the recruiting department first.
He had a say in the McCartin recruitment which was questionable even then. You can't say that recruiting is out of his hands if he was consulted on the number one pick. And this was fairly early on in his teaching career at the saints.

Petracca is frustrating and a massive (literally, seriously who does his conditioning?) tease but he's played 79 games in 4 years and is an 18 disposal, goal a game player. If he was at St Kilda he would be in the 22 every week. Sadly for McCartin he's never been able to reach that level.

We have Jack Newnes playing the Petracca role (30% effort), only room for one of them and not much upside in removing one for the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can debate that one.

But if you look at what west coast got in the 2010 draft: Gaff, Lycett, Darling and Jeremy McGovern. not a bad bunch of guys the eagles picked up despite GC had most of the 1st rounders that year.

It was the GWS draft that hurt us more than 2010.

Couldn't you wait one more week Saints?

For what it's worth he's done well this year. 6 wins with that list is overs. Especially if you factor in the injury crisis early on in the year.
6 wins is overs? Boy oh boy they won 12 in 2016 and we’re tipped along with Melbourne to be the next big things in 2017. 3 years on & still s**t! Other teams get injuries too!

It was the GWS draft that hurt us more than 2010.
Again..... despite that....

Looking at what Freo picked up.....

Pick 16: Tom Sheridan solid player but servicable.
Pick 20: Hayden Crozier wasnt too bad either. now at the dogs
Pick 29: Alex Forster from norwood in the SANFL. didnt play a game
Pick 58: Lachie Neale easily the best of the 5 we got. doing well at Brisbane
Pick 71: Cam Sutcliffe. Solid 8 years at freo, went back to SA, Revived his career at Port.

Guys like Joel Hamling, Shane Kersten and Brad Hill came between picks 30-35, all ironically went to freo.

He had a say in the McCartin recruitment which was questionable even then. You can't say that recruiting is out of his hands if he was consulted on the number one pick. And this was fairly early on in his teaching career at the saints.

Pre-draft, McCartin was considered the standout No. 1 pick by all & sundry so I don't see how you can lay the blame purely at Richardson's feet.

I do wonder how much gws and Gold Coast coming on board contributed to teams such as Carlton and the saints still continuing to struggle.

St Kilda made the GF in 2009 and 2010 and then finished 7th after finals in 2011. Carlton finished 7th, 8th, 5th those seasons.

The failure of both clubs was not recognising where their lists were really at. Bit rich to blame the expansion drafts. Carlton and Melbourne should have been good in the 2010s having picked the eyes out of the draft before GC and GWS came in.

St Kilda drafted well in 2007 picking up Steven and McEvoy (since traded). 2008 Lynch (traded) and Stanley (traded). 2009 traded for Lovett. 2010 Cripps (traded). 2011 Ross, Newnes, Webster. 2012 nothing after losing Goddard and trading for Lee and Hickey. It's a disaster of a list management era and it was no surprise they stank from 2013 onward.

Pre-draft, McCartin was considered the standout No. 1 pick by all & sundry so I don't see how you can lay the blame purely at Richardson's feet.
So? They're supposed to be a professional organisation that doesn't buy into the spin. Firstly Richardson was like "what's his skin folds like" (clearly indicating that he thinks he's a bit overweight) then compared his leadership skills to Hodge. There was a period where, every draft, some skinny kid got anointed as the New Best Thing. Boyd, McCartin, Schache. Now teams have figured out that this is all spin, unfortunately, the saints didn't realise quick enough.

Those compromised drafts stopped in 2011. The drafts I'm talking about were '13 and '14.

Even then, (and yes, it's hindsight recruiting) but take out McCartin and Billings and add Petracca and Bont (the players taken the picks after) and you're a better team by far.

2014 is fair enough; it was a pretty rubbish draft. But that 2013 draft was an absolute cracker.

It's not just the picks though; there we're probably a few senior players that got brought in too soon (5 and 24 for Carlisle and 14 in 2015).

I just reckon there were too many early misses with the picks brought in during the rebuild, and then the Saints reached for Free agents too soon (the base of kids wasnt good enough yet). The Saints probably didnt actively target enough 'cheap' want-away GWS/ GCS kids either (aside from Steele who I rate).

I really believe a contributing factor to St Kilda's decline in recent weeks (probably more like 5-6 weeks) has been a very exhausting fixture.
Traveling to China is an almighty task to begin with. You need a good 10 days just to recover and find your optimum levels again.
They then travel upto QLD and barely sneak over the line against Gold Coast.
Come back home and look completely flat and out of it against Brisbane before traveling down to Tassie a couple of weeks later.
For a fairly immature and young football side, it's a bloody difficult patch of games. One in which has effectively ended their season.

Obviously other contributing factor's have played a part but if I were St Kilda, I would be cancelling the China trips, or ask to get it out of the way early in round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back