FTA-TV Star Trek: The Original Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Simply called Star Trek when it originally aired from 1966 to 1969.

Everyone has heard of this show. It has become more famous in the decades after its cancellation than when it was new. It has been ripped off/paid homage to/satirised endlessly. They eventually made a stack of movies with the original cast and then more television series and movies with new characters and settings. I've seen a decent amount of the '90s stuff over the years and the recent 'soft reboot' movies.

But I'd never watched the original series that started the franchise. Except once on Foxtel when I was 17 but I can't even remember what happened in the episode. Last night I started watching it properly with the first pilot episode "The Cage". I will watch all 79 proper episodes over the coming months unless I get bored. Looking forward to recognising things that got used as jokes and plot devices in shows and movies I've seen.

BigFooty, what do you think of Star Trek: The Original Series?

giphy.gif

gornthree2.gif

kirk-slap.gif

tumblr_inline_nojxdjgyfA1sum6ma_500.gif

Last edited:
After enjoying the reboot movie series and having seen Beyond lately, I decided to have another crack at watching the original series. Once you get the past the fact that it's clearly aged poorly from a technical standpoint, the actual stories are pretty good. I can see why people got into it. If it keeps my interest long enough, I might have a crack at checking out all of the series/movies.

I will watch all 79 proper episodes over the coming months unless I get bored. Looking forward to recognising things that got used as jokes and plot devices in shows and movies I've seen.

This was something I've noticed as well. I keep finding myself going "Oh, so that's where that reference is from."

I'm getting towards the end of season one. How did you end up going Bomberboyokay?

I really enjoyed some of the films as a kid and only watched a couple of the TV episodes so bought the blu ray TV boxset about a year ago. Haven't watched as much as I thought I would but have enjoyed most of what I've seen. Some of the overacting, fight scenes and use of obvious stunt doubles is hilarious but not without its charm. Some of my favourite authors like Harlan Ellison and Richard Matheson wrote some of the stories.

I only got in to Star Trek through the reboots (sorry) and have gorged since. Did TNG first and giving the original series a try. The stories are good but the effects make it hard sometimes.

It was the best, and I only watched the movies with Shatner and Nimoy after the series finished, it was high camp sometimes I think.

But it was brilliant!

I bet they laughed themselves sensless making it.
There's Kirk there belting the crap out of himself.

What about when Spock goes into must , like a wild bull elephant, and has to get to Vulcan to mate or he'll blow up or something.

And Kirk meets Apollo the God, on some planet, but Lieutenant Ahuru in her little space skirt, that was a great part of the show.

Some times I half expected Dr Smith and Will Robinson to pop onto the screen, with that crazy robot, ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

The kiss between Shatner and Nicholls was the first interracial kiss (white and African American) shown on TV.

The series is generally excellent but I enjoyed James Blish's adaptations even more.

I only got in to Star Trek through the reboots (sorry) and have gorged since. Did TNG first and giving the original series a try. The stories are good but the effects make it hard sometimes.

As you've probably noticed, pre-Abrams Star Trek was more ponderous and less action.

Indeed a lot more discussion because of a small budget that restricted action scenes. This was also why no matter what happened the gravity never went on a ship either.

I think the best star trek parody was done my eeek that cat. Mr Spock was a sock puppet and so Mr Sock, and as they were beaming down to a planet they took the regular cast plus Mr Extra, who gets killed.

Remember is a 50 year old show. Be generous and go with it. It's about ideas. Mr Spock's logic verse The Captain's emotion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is on Ch 1 now. I'm not sure if it's gunna be a daily thing or just a one-off.

It might be daily, because Ch 10's showing of Voyager has just got into the last season, and they have a very annoying recent history of not showing the last season of tv series. They've had the rights for Star Trek for yonks, but are still yet to show the last season on The Next Generation since ch 11 has been going, despite showing the first 6 seasons at least 3 times.

Last edited:
Taking longer than I thought. Picked it up again last week. Trying to do an episode each night. Just finished episode 11 "Miri". The dullest and most tedious episode yet.

Episode 8 "Balance of Terror" the best so far. Space fighting and the first appearance of the Romulans ooo.

The effects hold up decent for something that's a half-century old. It's not a corny show when you remember its age and accept the style. Stories aren't bad. What are the women wearing :p

P.S. Watching in production order not broadcast order.

Taking longer than I thought. Picked it up again last week. Trying to do an episode each night. Just finished episode 11 "Miri". The dullest and most tedious episode yet.

Episode 8 "Balance of Terror" the best so far. Space fighting and the first appearance of the Romulans ooo.

The effects hold up decent for something that's a half-century old. It's not a corny show when you remember its age and accept the style. Stories aren't bad. What are the women wearing :p

P.S. Watching in production order not broadcast order.

Yep, there's a few dull episodes early on. Balance of Terror is great though, it's like a submarine battle in space.

It was a bit of a slog getting through the whole series, but I found that I didn't notice the dated effects and corny dialogue by the end of it.

Have now finished season 1. Can see why 'The City on the Edge of Forever' is a popular episode - it's one of the better crafted episodes.

I've heard season 2 is hit and miss and then it drops away in season 3. Is that a fair call?
That's it in a nutshell. I read a book about the series and there were very specific reasons for the wild shifts in quality. But from about halfway through season 1 to halfway through season 2, there is some serious quality. Always a little corny, some things have dated but still good overall.

And yes, City on the Edge of Forever is fantastic. Fun fact, Harlan Ellison hated it because they significantly changed his work. The episode won an award but so did Ellison for his original screenplay.

I just finished Enterprise. I actually enjoyed this series, although season 3 they did stretch the xindi thing a little. I would have liked to see another season... I liked Archer as a captain.

That's it in a nutshell. I read a book about the series and there were very specific reasons for the wild shifts in quality. But from about halfway through season 1 to halfway through season 2, there is some serious quality. Always a little corny, some things have dated but still good overall.

And yes, City on the Edge of Forever is fantastic. Fun fact, Harlan Ellison hated it because they significantly changed his work. The episode won an award but so did Ellison for his original screenplay.

Was the shift in quality around budgets and the lack of support from the network?

Two-parter "The Menagerie". Would've liked it much more if I'd seen it before the unaired pilot "The Cage" they lifted the footage and story from.

I just finished Enterprise. I actually enjoyed this series, although season 3 they did stretch the xindi thing a little. I would have liked to see another season... I liked Archer as a captain.

Was the shift in quality around budgets and the lack of support from the network?
Pretty much; it was always at risk of being cancelled, budgets were cut, it was always given rough timeslots and good writers were put offside. Basically, a producer that became known as a show killer came on board for season 3 after Roddenberry lost interest and it all went downhill from there.

Episode 19 "Arena" and episode 20 "The Alternative Factor": Hey that looks like the same planet :p Probably why they didn't air back to back.

Episode 22 "The Return of the Archons". Sort of knew the ending was due to Futurama.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back