Roast State of the modern game; Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

777xzbh5-1363913345.jpg

This is what Australian rules was like when teams were "free", then because of the above it became 20 aside. That was followed by 18 aside and now because of this ..............

2d9fdd68c2ef8a7c3bec05bb5fbb3ce9365c1707

It's time to introduce 5-5-5 15 aside!

777xzbh5-1363913345.jpg

This is what Australian rules was like when teams were "free", then because of the above it became 20 aside. That was followed by 18 aside and now because of this ..............

If only those old guys had thought to give a few more free kicks for incorrect disposal their game would have been a far better spectacle.....

Could you imagine BigFooty if it existed on the day they decided to get rid of the caps? It's fundamental, it's tradition, you can't change it, waaah waaaaaah...

PS - For the unawares, I believe there was a rule whereas if the player's cap was knocked off, they had to go back and retrieve it...

Great work Clarko

Clarko has acheived what he wanted.

Tonight Hawthorn play GWS, a side that wants the game played fast and furious. His game plan over several recent meetings is to try to slow them down.

GWS are a strong bodied side who are prepared to use their strength to break half tackles. Hawthorn are a slow side, and getting slower before our eyes. Some of their "pressure players" couldn't catch a cold in July.

Just minutes before he spoke, Clarko had seen a team finally open up the game in the final quarter and blow his team away, playing just the kind of football GWS like to.

Now under those circumstances, do we think Clarko might be happy to see ball carriers get nailed by the umps more often this week?

But of course it's just a coincidence. He was motivated purely for "the good of the game".

I think the state of the modern game is healthy. No matter which direction that game went in - intelligent minds would always take hold. Clarkson taken the game by the scruff and outwitted coaches for years, then Hardwick and Simpson tinkered with it and tried to - and succeeded - to find a way to win. This defensive style of play will always remain. There isn't a damn thing the AFL can do about it. The only real blight on the game that I see is the umpires. They are the great decider of who wins and who loses. Players are not relentless robots who are able to absorb repeated momentum shifts, it drains them mentally. The sooner umpiring is taken serious and the AFL get competent and fair umpires in, the better the game will be. Umpiring bias in today's game is the great decider. And before anyone jumps down my throat about my own side, I fully acknowledge that my own team just plain and simply is not good enough.. That is just my own stiff sh*t.

What ever happened to players making a “genuine attempt” to dispose of the ball this year. For years we have seen players aimlessly punching the ball and throwing their arms around to make it look like they are Atleast attempting to get the ball released.

This year, players aren’t even doing that. They get tackled and just bear hug the ball as tight as possible and wait for the ball up. Would rather watch players be forced into punching the ball as then atleast they only have one arm wrapped around the ball and more chance of having it ripped out or be pinged.

Well done Clarko, saw 3 today in the Tiges/Dees game that were horrible for the game. Players that won the footy were immediately wrapped up and pinged. Meanwhile others who dropped the ball with no legal disposal got away with it.

Pay incorrect disposal, but dont ping players for attacking the footy who don't have many options except for throwing it out.

Clarko has acheived what he wanted.

Tonight Hawthorn play GWS, a side that wants the game played fast and furious. His game plan over several recent meetings is to try to slow them down.

GWS are a strong bodied side who are prepared to use their strength to break half tackles. Hawthorn are a slow side, and getting slower before our eyes. Some of their "pressure players" couldn't catch a cold in July.

Just minutes before he spoke, Clarko had seen a team finally open up the game in the final quarter and blow his team away, playing just the kind of football GWS like to.

Now under those circumstances, do we think Clarko might be happy to see ball carriers get nailed by the umps more often this week?

But of course it's just a coincidence. He was motivated purely for "the good of the game".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never mind thirty years ago, in 2013 twelve teams scored more than two thousand points. Last year only one did, Brisbane who scraped over by less than a goal.

As for holding the ball, Clarko has been complaining about it for a few years so not sure why it's seen as a new phenomenon. They've erred on the side of not paying that whole time so only fair we get a few that are too hot now - the ball needs to be in motion more often.

Never mind thirty years ago, in 2013 twelve teams scored more than two thousand points. Last year only one did, Brisbane who scraped over by less than a goal.

As for holding the ball, Clarko has been complaining about it for a few years so not sure why it's seen as a new phenomenon. They've erred on the side of not paying that whole time so only fair we get a few that are too hot now - the ball needs to be in motion more often.

And exactly how does penalising the player who is trying to keep it in motion get that done?

First complaint was when the Hawks season ended in 2016.

No complaints from Clarko the 3 seasons before that though...

I think the standard of games has been getting better every week since the season restarted but teams going into hubs will probably see the standard drop again.

The rules have been changed so often that getting rid of 2 players and bringing it to 16 doesn't even bother me any more . It's the only rule that will have a positive impact on the flow of the game

And exactly how does penalising the player who is trying to keep it in motion get that done?

They don’t try and keep it in motion. They hold it to themselves when there is no option to pass too but are so good at disguising it and are coached so well that it looks like they had no chance.

They don’t try and keep it in motion. They hold it to themselves when there is no option to pass too but are so good at disguising it and are coached so well that it looks like they had no chance.

Of course they do.

Has nothing at all to do with the player sitting on their back and wildly shoving the ball back in whenever it tries to come out.

It's painful to see him attempt to manipulate the umpires but refuse to understand his team just isn't that good.

Yes if there’s one person who doesn’t understand what a bad team looks like its the one who took over the worst team in the comp and three seasons later won the flag.

The rules have been changed so often that getting rid of 2 players and bringing it to 16 doesn't even bother me any more . It's the only rule that will have a positive impact on the flow of the game

I'll take 16 aside any day, as it's a really positive step and will make a real improvement to the game, it's just not as significant as what 5-5-5, 15 aside will do. The 5-5-5 structure seems so obvious, once you see it in a live game!
In reality, the 5-5-5, 15 aside is more akin to the 6-6-6, 18 aside set up than what the 6-4-6, 16 aside set up is.

Last edited:
Well done Clarko, saw 3 today in the Tiges/Dees game that were horrible for the game. Players that won the footy were immediately wrapped up and pinged. Meanwhile others who dropped the ball with no legal disposal got away with it.

Pay incorrect disposal, but dont ping players for attacking the footy who don't have many options except for throwing it out.

First complaint was when the Hawks season ended in 2016.

No complaints from Clarko the 3 seasons before that though...

Actually Clarkson complained way back in 2006 about it.

It was the era of Hodge/Mitchell/Sewell/Lewis - all tough onballers who were strong defensively, won the contested ball on the ground, and tried to feed it out. They were slow on the outside, and opposition (mainly Geelong) would draw the tackle, fall to ground and drop/throw the ball to a team-mate.

The AFL's response was to agree, then they started penalising those that dove on the ground to win the ball - which wasn't the complaint at all.

In 2009, Clarkson (with Rioli) complained how the league wasn't penalising obvious holding the ball/incorrect disposal, when the player with the ball had one arm pinned - the result was Rioli somehow getting included in the Judd chicken wing furore.

In 2013, Clarkson complained about it again.

Again in 2016 with the Bulldogs throw-gate.

There's probably another half dozen times - it's been a blight on the game for almost as long as I can remember.

Which brings us to the current situation. Clarkson complains about not paying HTB/ID when players have prior opportunity, take on the tackler and are dispossessed.

The AFL response? Penalise the player on the ground who is tackled without Prior, whilst ignoring most of the actual cases Clarkson complained about. They couldn't have got it more backwards if they tried. (Oh, and a nice 10-1 HTB ratio in the game tonight with a couple of howlers, just to emphasise the point).

The players got the message - has been a distinct shift in their play this week. The Commentators clearly don't understand, and unfortunately it seems neither do the umpires.

It's REALLY simple.

Prior Opportunity = Must dispose legally.
No Prior Opportunity = No requirement to dispose. (No matter how long the umpire waits or the player fights the tackle).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back