Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 draft - the beginning of sos and his creative moves. Weitering (SOS clone, 2nd year blues sort of but will be top 5 best defender in the comp in 2018), McKay (stocks rising looked great in his 2 games. Mobile and can score from set shots and snaps), curnow (what a pick up this is for SOS will be a top 10 player in the afl soon enough. Champion data had himrsmked no.1 forward in the afl around round 20. Not been this excited I. A kid since. Well. Cripps. Lol), Plowman (spoiling machine. Future Rowe replacement. Needs wing and midfield time I believe), lamb (maybe??), summer (NO), cuningham (building slowly. 2018 very important to hold his spot. Don't want him turning into a graham in the vfl. We caused it with NG), SOSAJ (one of our most exciting players. Of course sos was picking this one), wright (scorer of all magnitude, imagine when our forward becomes more functioning. Look out 2018 -40 goals?), kerridge (inconsistent output. Needs a rocket sometimes. Great finish to 2017,can he keep his spot over NG, BB, MK, p3, p10, DC???)
2015 SOS = ‼️

2016 draft - SPS (that game v collingwoods shows how much of a gun this kid will be. Look out 2018), Fisher (elite hands, pace and evasion of tackles), Williamson, macreadie, polson (sos is s gun lay in the draft - thanks hawthorn), Kerr (to come on - gets his 2018 chance you'd think, nearly beat McKay to it this year), ASOS (turns buddy into a bunny, missed in last round), marchbank (sos loves to repick his guns he brought to gws), Pickett (what a ******* gunthis kid will be. He's got the confidence he just needs to see he can do. Watch lots of tales son in 2018 of yourself ripping teams apart. Forward or back?
2016 SOS = ✔️✔️✔️

2017 draft - so far Kennedy (inside talent that disposes cleanly and wilallow crippsto go forward previous first round talent. BB asks and SOS delivers.
2017 SOS =

2018 SOS =

I’m doing my maths here and we got
2017 3-10-30-73 Lang Kennedy

Out Gibbs and 2018 3rd

2018 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, no 3 rd rounder, 4th rd pick

That’s Right? Right? That looks like highway robbery
2 x 2nd rounders in 2018 ....no 3rd round and then a 4th round
must be gearing up for some sort of father-son pick with that second 2nd rounder....

I like that much of the media are in the habit of under-rating us. I would prefer to see our club move up under the radar.
I look forward to seeing those same muppets scrambling to adjust their "expert" opinions when "suddenly" our team is seriously good and the genius of SOS's trading becomes manifest.

They have good cause to underrate us. 20 years in the wilderness with a brief false dawn only to show for it. Jsut hope these hard yards are worth it for a sustained tilt.

I like that much of the media are in the habit of under-rating us. I would prefer to see our club move up under the radar.
I look forward to seeing those same muppets scrambling to adjust their "expert" opinions when "suddenly" our team is seriously good and the genius of SOS's trading becomes manifest.
When we beat Richmond in Round 1 after a poor pre-season.

What does a team that SOS has had his hands on over the last three years, look like?:

Lamb Marchbank Plowman
Williamson Weitering Macreadie

Phillips Kennedy #3
Cuningham SPS Fisher

Lang McKay Pickett
Wright CCurnow JSilvagni

#10 Polson ASilvagni Kerr

EMG: LeBois Lobbe Glass-McCasker

Not bad.

We seem to be finally making the most of player recruiting avenues apart from free agency which we aren't ready for yet. Plenty of clubs absent at trade period. We have obtained draft picks and decent young players. First time Carlton have taken this approach in it's history, we'd normally have overpaid for a gun player by now. Lots of new names with ability and potential. Get back up the ladder it's going to be fun to see how we approach bring in any big names. That team could really start firing soon which will be great. need to keep adding some quality players and a star or two every season.

What does a team that SOS has had his hands on over the last three years, look like?:

Lamb Marchbank Plowman

Phillips Kennedy #3
Cuningham SPS Fisher

Lang McKay Pickett
Wright CCurnow JSilvagni

Not bad.

I could stare at that all day like it's a piece of art.

ShanDog - lets hope the Club never has to go through another decade of "the disaster(s) we had to have" in order to start thinking the right way again.

Changes here will be as important for the long term sustainability of the Club if not more important than what SOS and Bolton are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have highlighted the players who have the ability to be all-Australians:

Lamb Marchbank Plowman

Phillips Kennedy #3
Cuningham SPS Fisher

Lang McKay Pickett
Wright CCurnow JSilvagni

Not bad.

I have highlighted the players who have the ability to be all-Australians:

Lamb Marchbank Plowman

Phillips Kennedy #3
Cuningham SPS Fisher

Lang McKay Pickett
Wright CCurnow JSilvagni

Not bad.
I'd argue that Wright could easily be all australian - statistically he ranks above average in the small forward role. At round 5 this year he was still in the team of the year for AFL player ratings. He will improve with an improved more forward thinking attacking game plan next year.

What I love about SOS is that he could have stayed at GWS. Easy money and with their talent it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. Comes back to a basket case Carlton, rolls his sleeve up, has to deal with the silly media in Melbourne, more pressure and smashes it. We're so lucky to have this man. Simply AMAZING!
He was always going to come back with his kids about to come through. Too proud to let them play for a basket case. Probably feels he owes the club as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS is a trade broker. Waits and watches other teams needs then steps in to give them what they want with a healthy broker's fee coming back to us and uses what he gets to pay less for our own trades.

SOS is a trade broker. Waits and watches other teams needs then steps in to give them what they want with a healthy broker's fee coming back to us and uses what he gets to pay less for our own trades.
So good you had to say it twice ODN.

I'd like to see some of you folks jaws drop if the first two names read out by SOS or Brodie were Fogarty and Brander. I don't think it will happen but I'd like to see it. I think SOS has done a fairly good job but I wonder if it would test your faith? :D
You want us to speculate on a hypothetical?

I think we will tread water or at best improve our ladder position by 2-4 spots next year.
2019 we really should start pushing up the ladder especially with a handy FA or 2
2020 will be the year we really push hard for finals. Maybe 2019 if we nail FA next year.

We need to start topping up with Free agents from 2018, but I don’t want Lynch ok the cost will be too big...

Gimme a look at one or more of the following:
Gaff - mid
Sloane - mid
Dahlhaus - mid/small forward
Wallis - mid
Nick Smith - back pocket
Jetta - back pocket
Guthrie - mid/half back
Fasolo - smallish marking forward
and depending on what we do with turning one of the backs into a forward - McGovern

Use free agency to fill list vulnerabilities but do it without it costing the earth.

Should probably change the thread title .

He's had what appears a couple of good years but remember Hines, Wells, Wright, Lloyd, Beetson, Pelchen, Buckenara etc etc have all been considered great list managers at one point .

Beetson at Sydney and the team responsible for Adelaides list appear to be the best at the moment . Never bottomed out and turn s**t picks into gold nuggets.

He's had what appears a couple of good years but remember Hines, Wells, Wright, Lloyd, Beetson, Pelchen, Buckenara etc etc have all been considered great list managers at one point .

Beetson at Sydney and the team responsible for Adelaides list appear to be the best at the moment . Never bottomed out and turn s**t picks into gold nuggets.

We can only look at what SOS has done in his time with us. He took over a bottomed out side, he didn't create one. Our board, we don't have to cater for other team's list managers.

Having said that the title reflects the general consensus of the moment. It will be changed to something more generic some time after the draft.

Last edited:

This. This is where Bolton and entire football department development will come into it. GC Suns are proof that it is not talent and high picks that maketh the team. Sydney, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Geelong have all developed lower picks and discards into quality AFL footballers.

SOS has layed the foundation, now it is time for Bolton and co to build the House.

You are right - he's had a couple of good years at Carlton - how many years has the plodder been at Carlton again?

SOS is the List Manager and not the coach nor part of the development regime.
The work he's put in to manoeuvre trades to advantage has been quite extraordinary and the only thing that could let him down is complacency or interference. Let's remember that he is not the Head Recruiter either. That's Brodies role, although no doubt SOS will have input.

It doesn’t matter what we do off the field....
these clowns & other team supporters will never rate us till we improve on the field & win games...
It won’t be long now.....that lack of respect will turn into hatred for us..again
& we will eat that s**t up...give em the bird & rejoice...as we are TheNavyBlues!:D

So true. Quality of commentary is so poor that the team will be a premiership team before the 'how success was built' narrative emerges. Of the current crop, I reckon Dunstall knows what's going on. Having laid foundations for a Hawks dynasty and traded out experience for youth he knows what's going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back