Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

Reaction of many of us at around 2pm today

QONVIyz.gif

Job aint done, smash that draft SOS

What I love about SOS is that he could have stayed at GWS. Easy money and with their talent it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. Comes back to a basket case Carlton, rolls his sleeve up, has to deal with the silly media in Melbourne, more pressure and smashes it. We're so lucky to have this man. Simply AMAZING!

Today also squashed any thought that he was a one-hit wonder or not up to it. After the big draft 2 years back (Weiters et al), this was the second act and it was glorious. One off-season might be a fluke. Two off-seasons and he's the real deal. When even neutrals are calling "Carlton clear winner" and "SOS dominated" you know it was a good day.

If he finds stars at 3 and 10 I'll scragfight Jo for his love.

I think the best trade of the SOS was also the least sexy (as it didn't involve a player).

Pick 16 for three 2nd rounders? What even...

It was like one of those magician acts where the handkerchiefs just keep coming and you are thinking ... how the * is he doing that!?!?!?!? Marvellous to watch unfold ... truly marvellous.

I think the best trade of the SOS was also the least sexy (as it didn't involve a player).

I could see the desperation with the Dogs needing 16 to get Schache but .... they didn't. He got 3 second rounders straight up for a pick they kept for themselves. Sure 40 was thrown in but we weren't using that anyway. 3, 10 and 30 and our draft will be done I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was the magic that covered the gibbs trade in glory for us, without it we sell gibbs for pick 10 and a few minor upgrades.

Instead he crucially gets a 2nd in 2018 back from the dogs which basically cancels out our 2nd and 3rd going to the crows (based on current ladder positions 22 + 40 for 28 + 36) and then turns these minor pick upgrades into Pick 30 + Kennedy by throwing in pick 40 which we wouldn't have used anyway with 3, 10, 30. This entire trade was only possible because the dogs needed a 1st round pick to save face on the stringer front and sos sensed it much like the hawks last year and extracted maximum value for his assistance.

Essentially turns that trade from Pick 10 and some insignificant upgrades into 10 + 30 + Kennedy. Crucially also we come out in front on the exchange of picks next year if either the crows or dogs fall or we rise at all (Just imagine the crows slide to 5th, dogs 9th and we rise to 11th it becomes 26 + 44 for 28 + 32)

Then he goes and grabs a Lang & Lobbe with picks we wouldn't use anyway so they become free hits.

What he does that none of the other guys do is extract value from every pick he has available, creates combination trades where he turns 1 thing into multiple things that will benefit us & takes advantage of the situations of others to gain value without trading any player assets for example how often do clubs trade draft picks for draft picks with no player involvement? SOS has done so in every season thus far for us.

I could see the desperation with the Dogs needing 16 to get Schache but .... they didn't. He got 3 second rounders straight up for a pick they kept for themselves. Sure 40 was thrown in but we weren't using that anyway. 3, 10 and 30 and our draft will be done I think.

I wonder if the Dogs have their eye on a kid in the mid teens, and getting 16 from us simply freed them up to accept two second rounders for Stringer after Essendon offloaded 11.

The best thing about the trading success SOS has had is that it is strategical. We have not had trading "wins" without an underlying recruiting strategy. Each of the trades can be understood as part of our longer term list development.

In the first year we had so much dross on the list it was impossible to do anything but a complete rebuild. So SOS started on a complete rebuild. In 2015 we concentrated on talls in trading and recruiting because they would take the longest to find out whether they were any good (develop). We are still waiting with Harry. Cunningly, SOS increased the strike rate of quality trades by plundering the GWS cast-offs resulting from (a) the down-sizing of their list; and (b) the large number of high draft picks/academy players GWS still wanted to bring in; and (c) his intimate knowledge of the list. He has been wrongly criticised for this sensible bargain basement approach to list building.

Just as impressive in 2015 was his manipulation of draft picks to ensure we got the KPDs we undoubtedly wanted in McKay and Curnow.

In 2016 we again went to the GWS bargain basement for Marchbank (and Pickett) so that in the draft we could concentrated more on midfielders.

This year it is commonly understood that the top 4 draft picks are likely to be midfielders and which order depends on the colour of your eyes. So we have pick 3 which probably gives us a 50/50 chance of getting the mid we would want if we had the first pick. And I am pretty sure with pick 10 SOS has a particular player in mind - not sure whether it might be Darcy Fogarty or Sam Hayes (to replace Kreuzer long term).

The result is that except for a bit of a loading on KPDs, for historical reasons, the list is starting to take shape with most of the ingredients in place.

SOS hasn't just been good in the things he has done. He has been very good in the recruiting he hasn't done. It is very easy to sell off players too quickly so that there are not proper on-field structures in place (something Melbourne in the past have been good at). It is also very easy to go for a quick fix ready made player early in a rebuild who gives a sweet hit but not long term list improvement. Both of these temptations have been resisted.

I wonder if the Dogs have their eye on a kid in the mid teens, and getting 16 from us simply freed them up to accept two second rounders for Stringer after Essendon offloaded 11.
This x1000

They can sell to members pick 40 and next years 2nd might cancel out with them rising up the ladder so they got pick 16 for stringer. If they slide and it becomes pick 24 or so 12 months on people forget a little.

This was the magic that covered the gibbs trade in glory for us, without it we sell gibbs for pick 10 and a few minor upgrades.

Instead he crucially gets a 2nd in 2018 back from the dogs which basically cancels out our 2nd and 3rd going to the crows (based on current ladder positions 22 + 40 for 28 + 36) and then turns these minor pick upgrades into Pick 30 + Kennedy by throwing in pick 40 which we wouldn't have used anyway with 3, 10, 30. This entire trade was only possible because the dogs needed a 1st round pick to save face on the stringer front and sos sensed it much like the hawks last year and extracted maximum value for his assistance.

Essentially turns that trade from Pick 10 and some insignificant upgrades into 10 + 30 + Kennedy. Crucially also we come out in front on the exchange of picks next year if either the crows or dogs fall or we rise at all (Just imagine the crows slide to 5th, dogs 9th and we rise to 11th it becomes 26 + 44 for 28 + 32)

Then he goes and grabs a Lang & Lobbe with picks we wouldn't use anyway so they become free hits.

What he does that none of the other guys do is extract value from every pick he has available, creates combination trades where he turns 1 thing into multiple things that will benefit us & takes advantage of the situations of others to gain value without trading any player assets for example how often do clubs trade draft picks for draft picks with no player involvement? SOS has done so in every season thus far for us.

Yup ... Ide hate to buy insurance I didn't know I needed from BOSS. Lucky to come with the shirt on my back but still get me to think somehow he did me the favour. True beauty was trade week ... err day ... ummm hour??

#amidoingthisright??

The best thing about the trading success SOS has had is that it is strategical. We have not had trading "wins" without an underlying recruiting strategy. Each of the trades can be understood as part of our longer term list development.

In the first year we had so much dross on the list it was impossible to do anything but a complete rebuild. So SOS started on a complete rebuild. In 2015 we concentrated on talls in trading and recruiting because they would take the longest to find out whether they were any good (develop). We are still waiting with Harry. Cunningly, SOS increased the strike rate of quality trades by plundering the GWS cast-offs resulting from (a) the down-sizing of their list; and (b) the large number of high draft picks/academy players GWS still wanted to bring in; and (c) his intimate knowledge of the list. He has been wrongly criticised for this sensible bargain basement approach to list building.

Just as impressive in 2015 was his manipulation of draft picks to ensure we got the KPDs we undoubtedly wanted in McKay and Curnow.

In 2016 we again went to the GWS bargain basement for Marchbank (and Pickett) so that in the draft we could concentrated more on midfielders.

This year it is commonly understood that the top 4 draft picks are likely to be midfielders and which order depends on the colour of your eyes. So we have pick 3 which probably gives us a 50/50 chance of getting the mid we would want if we had the first pick. And I am pretty sure with pick 10 SOS has a particular player in mind - not sure whether it might be Darcy Fogarty or Sam Hayes (to replace Kreuzer long term).

The result is that except for a bit of a loading on KPDs, for historical reasons, the list is starting to take shape with most of the ingredients in place.

SOS hasn't just been good in the things he has done. He has been very good in the recruiting he hasn't done. It is very easy to sell off players too quickly so that there are not proper on-field structures in place (something Melbourne in the past have been good at). It is also very easy to go for a quick fix ready made player early in a rebuild who gives a sweet hit but not long term list improvement. Both of these temptations have been resisted.

What i like most about his approach is that we seems to be basing our strategy on the draft itself.

2015 - bonza draft crop at the top and with plenty of talls - SOS loads up with 3.5 first round picks and grabs a FB, CHF and FF, plus a breakaway mid.

2016 - not an outstanding top end, but plenty of good prospects deeper in the draft - SOS holds our first pick for a classy mid, but trades down for multiple late picks to get more quality players in.

2017 - even first round without many clear best options, not much quality available late - SOS finds an extra top 10 pick, gets back into the second round and offload our later picks for players.

2018 - strong expected draft - SOS downgrades our second rounder a few spots but moves our third rounder up to the second round as well.

It's nice to see he's not just doing "fair trades" for their own sake. There seems to be a clear strategy for each draft, and our trades are being deliberately engineered to position us according to that strategy.

Not getting ahead of myself just yet.

Hardest bit yet to come. Currency is there, now we need to spend it wisely.

We need to nail 3 and 10 (and hopefully also 30) to make this work. Thats the real test.

We got it right last year. Need to do it again.

Correct. As good as the trade result is for us, SOS still has some work to do with the picks.

But given his track record, he shouldn't have too many problems.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

afl.com.au rates our trade period 6/10. Rated worse than Gold Coast, Brisbane, Richmond....in fact worse that any team except for Collingwood, Saints and North. 15th worst trading team this year.

What the flying *!!!????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back