Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really sure you can count it a leg up.

At this stage it is more likely shifting back our original round 2 pick a few spots in the order and moving our original 3rd round future pick up a few spots to actually be in 2nd round too. Roughly speaking, I would say overall effect is we about the same as we would have been before involving future round pick in a number of trades. By the time we get to our round 4 picks we would have had 3 picks, like we originally started with.

The gravity is to be determined, but the fact is there.
We currently have two 2'nds and not 1. Let's bring out the scales later.

At this stage it is more likely shifting back our original round 2 pick a few spots in the order and moving our original 3rd round future pick up a few spots to actually be in 2nd round too. Roughly speaking, I would say overall effect is we about the same as we would have been before involving future round pick in a number of trades. By the time we get to our round 4 pick we would have had 3 picks, like we originally started with.

I suspect SOS may trade out some 2019 picks, really hit the draft/trade/FA period hard

I suspect SOS may trade out some 2019 picks, really hit the draft/trade/FA period hard

Hope so. Want a few more picks in earlier part of next years draft.
I think they will be hard to come by though.
Clubs will be holding onto early picks like gold in October trade period next year for the draft in November.

At this stage it is more likely shifting back our original round 2 pick a few spots in the order and moving our original 3rd round future pick up a few spots to actually be in 2nd round too. Roughly speaking, I would say overall effect is we about the same as we would have been before involving future round pick in a number of trades. By the time we get to our round 4 pick we would have had 3 picks, like we originally started with.
Except if we have a solid year and rise the ladder a bit, and dogs and crows falter a bit/a lot we end up in an improved position.

Knightmare & other posters on BF who know a bit about potential draftees obviously base their assessments on exposed form, available player stats/ratings, what they might hear around the traps & from occasional informal chats with club recruiters & TAC Cup club identities, but they are not privy to all the information that club recruiters have at their fingertips. They don't have access to the interviews clubs conduct with potential draftees, meetings with their families, conversations with school & TAC Cup coaches or the formal discussions between AFL club recruiters & the coaches re: list management.

Where some of these posters are flawed is in not accepting that their phantom drafts, player ratings etc can & will be wrong. They will defend their ratings to the end rather than acknowledging they only have access to a small part of the whole recruitment processes therefore will not always get it right (even recruiters get it wrong sometimes). At the end of the day I will defer to SOS & his recruitment team rather than some would-be recruiters.
This has nothing to do with draft ratings and I’m not defending anyone but KM is paid to have a option and must be forthright in it. The problem was this years draft pool after about 15 was unpredictable and clubs seemed to be very tight lipped this year and none of the journos had any idea.

This has nothing to do with draft ratings and I’m not defending anyone but KM is paid to have a option and must be forthright in it. The problem was this years draft pool after about 15 was unpredictable and clubs seemed to be very tight lipped this year and none of the journos had any idea.
Disagree.
Problem was KM's rating of a club's draft efforts where the club did not draft players who KM rated higher than the club did. KM backed his rating of 50 players, even where 4 of the 50 were neither drafted nor rookie'd (Butts, Cassidy Parish, Kreuger, Schloithe ...).

Although Carlton and Freo each took highly rated players with the 2 top 10 selections, KM rated both clubs D+ due to lower picks the clubs selected that KM didn't rate or rated lower (KM did not rate De Koning).

Hawthorn and Port had their first pick in the 40's and rate better because they chose players that KM rated in the 20's (Worpel and Hayes). Remember KM rated Butts and Parish in the 20's too and both were not drafted or rookie'd.

So, in effect, KM rates his preferred players from 1-50. The club doesn't choose players that KM rates at the club's picks, KM rates the club down. Doesn't matter that the other 17 clubs didn't choose the players either.

You choose a player KM rates highly at a pick far lower in the draft than KMs rating. KM rates you up. Doesn't matter the player slid as several of the other clubs didn't choose the player.

Disagree.
Problem was KM's rating of a club's draft efforts where the club did not draft players who KM rated higher than the club did. KM backed his rating of 50 players, even where 4 of the 50 were neither drafted nor rookie'd (Butts, Cassidy Parish, Kreuger, Schloithe ...).

Although Carlton and Freo each took highly rated players with the 2 top 10 selections, KM rated both clubs D+ due to lower picks the clubs selected that KM didn't rate or rated lower (KM did not rate De Koning).

Hawthorn and Port had their first pick in the 40's and rate better because they chose players that KM rated in the 20's (Worpel and Hayes). Remember KM rated Butts and Parish in the 20's too and both were not drafted or rookie'd.

So, in effect, KM rates his preferred players from 1-50. The club doesn't choose players that KM rates at the club's picks, KM rates the club down. Doesn't matter that the other 17 clubs didn't choose the players either.

You choose a player KM rates highly at a pick far lower in the draft than KMs rating. KM rates you up. Doesn't matter the player slid as several of the other clubs didn't choose the player.

Basically knightmare uses himself as the standard that all recruiting teams are judged by.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes but they probably all are. Some things I can share

1) SOS had Dow ranked a clear number 1. Concerns about Rayner’s tank and wonders whether he will ever be more than a forward

2) Liked O’Brien for two years or more. Reckons this year wasn’t as good but still better than he is given credit for

3) We were not, despite earlier reports, ever into Fogarty in a big way. Very concerned about his lack of agility

4) Biggest talking point of the night was whether to take TDK at 30. But rate him, were sure he’d be gone at 70, were not interested in Murphy or Constable, and think, at 90kgs, he is more ready to go than a lot of pundits think - much more so than a 203cm, 75kg beanpole type. He’s really solid

5) We had put a hard line through Stephenson

6) The view of other recruiters (the same ones who knew we had butchered the 2014 draft) is that we nailed this one

7) Reckon at 191 Scumacher will be a good player and they love his kicking

8) Expect us to take O’Shea and Shaw this arvo, but not Boekhorst

Thanks , much appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn’t got much choice, as he’s already sold the silverware.
Stirring the pot agro.

We cashed in on Gibbs at the maximum this year. Has translated to Kennedy, O’Brien and some other draft choices.

Tuohy and a second rounder (and Pick 135 before ferrisb jumps in) for Marchbank and Pickett is a win for our list too (and Palmer was the epitome of steak knives).

The 2019 picks for me are about opportunity and not desperation.

Let’s say we finish with Pick 6 in the 2018 draft, and based on the Crows and Dogs’ seasons we also have Picks 28 and 33.

Let’s say we like the player who could come to us in the 2018 Draft at 6, but want to go for Pick 1 ...

SOS could trade the 2019 first rounder and the 2018 Pick 6 for say a 2018 Pick 1, a 2019 second rounder and a 2018 3rd rounder. Depending how the father sons go, he could instead use one of the Picks 28 or 33.

Advantages: we get the highest rated player in the super draft, we get extra points for the father son picks, we have some reasonable Picks in the 2019 Draft and we can hopefully land Shiel as a FA come the trade period leading up to the 2019 Draft.

I am very sure SOS will be trying something and his ‘chips’ in my opinion are the 2019 draft picks.

Disagree.

That’s exactly what he has done, he has backed his own opinion

Agree it would be a good strategy 2018 is a very strong draft top 10 are exceptional and good players available untill picks 25/30.
I'd defenitely look at trading 2019 picks too as they'll be valuable it too is a good draft , so they have value, and any worthwhile mature players we an trade. If we draft very well in 2018 It will be upwards from there.

2015:
Trade Period.........Got maximum value of what was available. Not one false move. 10/10
Drafting...............Looking good at this early stage with at least one superstar on the horizon. Currently 7/10 with a 9/10 potential.

2016:
Trade Period.........Good value through minimum exchanges, primarily attaining Marchbank & Pickett, with a loss of Tuohy. 8/10
Drafting...............Very early days of course, but the potential here could be enormous with lowish picks. Currently 8/10 with a 10/10 potential.

2017:
Trade Period........Gibbs was always on the cards and again maximum values was attained and then the picks converted into winners. 9/10
Drafting..............Can't possibly be as good as the past couple of years, given a weak draft, but who knows. Currently 7/10.......Potential???

2018:
Drafting..............Already have a leg-up with 2 second rounders in hand.
Harks, the wildcard in the 2017 pack is Garlett. A free hit that could turn out to be a masterstroke.

Anyway back to SOS ....
My impressions on another off season by SOS need to be read on the understanding that as a premiership player I will probably struggle to say too many bad things about him

I think SOS had done another good job with limited cards this year.
In the past he has had talent (albeit with issues) that he has been able to trade out for picks
This year it appeared inevitable that SOS had to trade Gibbs to get currency for the likes of Kennedy and to get us another pick in the 1st round.
As much as losing Gibbs will hurt, Kennedy, Lang, Dow and O'Brien long term is the right path forward - midfielders, midfielders, midfielders - these four guys appear to be good gets

Obviously a wider recruitment team effort but pick ups like Garlett at 78 I really like - a free hit that will be a Best 22 draft for peanuts or a bomb - I like it because it helps our age demographic, he obviously has talent (pick 15)
and Bolts now has an option this year not a raw semi-talented kid unlikely to play this year when we are young

De Koning at 30 seems a reach and I was hoping for another mid - it's like the Macreadie pick from last year - not sure what to make of it - insurance, best available rather than needs. I felt a project ruck was probably needed but why at 30 and not as a rookie and why if not a ruck but actually a forward??? It raises concerns as well about Harry. Highlight videos show enough to be interested in De Koning but I gotta be honest and call it a reach.

The Irish boy appears to be a good get, O'Shea and Shaw seem to be insurance due to our list age but a positive decision in my eyes - I also like rewarding a Northern boy - hopefully it attracts more to our magoos. Schumacher could be anything or nothing

Two things I am concerned about:

Midfield
- Kennedy, Lang, SPS and Fisher need to take the next step or we will be in trouble, Dow or O'Brien contributing would help - I also am worried about Ed (throat issue still??) - SOS and team have done a good job to provide Bolts with options but we need these kids to succeed as we need Murph on the outside, Wright up forward and Thomas in the magoos

Small Forward - this is the gap that I don't think SOS filled
Garlett could be a master stroke pick 78 but will it be as a pressure small forward - a few have him in our fp but I havent seen much to support, highlights show him also down in the back half at times. Wright needs to play solely forward, Lamb can play defensive small forward but is hit and miss, LeBois has shown nothing yet, Polson is a mid and not sure of his forward craft, Pickett could be the real deal but his run is an asset so maybe off a hff.
I would prefer a forward line going forward with 3 max talls (Charlie and JSOS and Casboult/McKay/Kerr or De Koning) that sometimes only has 2 due to rotations but I fear we can't do that because we don't have enough genuine small forwards and resting mids

Well done to the list team and SOS on what I see as a step forward. The green shoots now have to produce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back