Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the bet next year he trades our first, likely a very very early pick, for two later firsts?

He's running out of options to get extra first round picks. Gibbs is gone. So in a reputedly super draft you trade say pick 2 for picks 8 and 16. Something like that anyhow. That gives us four picks in the first two rounds in a super draft.

Hey presto he's done it again. Managed to get multiple quality kids into the list in one off season.
From what he and the club have said post-draft, we've hit the draft for three years and now it's time to develop. Taking them at their word, I don't think we'll do too much wheeling and dealing with high picks or downgrading for extras. All depends on what we think we can get though.

Mate at swans did a bit of analytics with their recruiting department before the draft. They believe it was a deep draft. Jaidyn Stephenson is their candidate for bust of the top 20 picks. They were very keen on tdk. Jarrod Garlett pick surprised them. Not much overly relevant to Carlton but they do think Sos smashed it.

Mate at swans did a bit of analytics with their recruiting department before the draft. They believe it was a deep draft. Jaidyn Stephenson is their candidate for bust of the top 20 picks. They were very keen on tdk. Jarrod Garlett pick surprised them. Not much overly relevant to Carlton but they do think Sos smashed it.

I hope all the kids drafted carve out a decent career, but I tend to agree. May not be a total bust, but seems very much like Hoskin-Elliott

not many clubs be willing to trade to lower picks in a so called sooper draft I'm tipping.....................

Which is exactly why we should consider it*.

Be a seller when everyone else is a buyer.

And be a buyer when everyone else is a seller...

I said consider. Not saying we do it, but we should at least put up the for sale sign and see what kind of bids we get.

Interesting thoughts, as for points (6) - I know at least one recruiter that thinks that apart from Dow that we haven't nailed it.

Also Schumacher, I don't have a problem with picking this kid with Pick 70 - his Combine stats were great with respect to kicking, however in TAC cup games his efficiency stats are not outstanding.
Willo went at about 50% by foot in TAC and is now probably the best kick at the club. I wouldn't read too much into the stats at this stage.

Re SOS's football management

We will play finals next year.

There will be a marked improvement in our performance next year on the back of exceptional list management.

If you now look at the upside of our list (think Curnow, Pickett, SPS, DOW, Fisher, Harry McKay, Cunningham, Injury free Weiters and JSOS, another year Williamson and McReadie, more game time for D Lang, ditto Matt Kennedy, P Cripps playing, Garlett reborn, OBrien, Liam Jones, Cam O Shea second chance, etc) so much upside - anything more than stable improvement will result in accelerated results.

However I am predicting greater than stable improvement in some players - this will lead to dramatic improvement and wins.

This may well happen faster than we cautiously predict, and it might even be said that it is more likely than not to happen faster than we cautiously predict.

Both are particularly good analogies.

A couple of other considerations:

- Would TDK be there at our next pick (#70)? Pre draft Callum Twomey believed Sydney was interested.

- Was there anyone else left on the draft board at around that mark who we were interested in?

In a property sense, TDK might boom or might hold his value on resale (trade). Perhaps less so for other players.

If he is to be a forward ruckman and comes on, then it is clever planning to replace the Casboult role.
This is the exact logic that saw the Suns pick up Wil Powell at 19. Happens all the time.

There will be a marked improvement in our performance next year on the back of exceptional list management.

If you now look at the upside of our list (think Curnow, Pickett, SPS, DOW, Fisher, Harry McKay, Cunningham, Injury free Weiters and JSOS, another year Williamson and McReadie, more game time for D Lang, ditto Matt Kennedy, P Cripps playing, Garlett reborn, OBrien, Liam Jones, Cam O Shea second chance, etc) so much upside - anything more than stable improvement will result in accelerated results.

However I am predicting greater than stable improvement in some players - this will lead to dramatic improvement and wins.

This may well happen faster than we cautiously predict, and it might even be said that it is more likely than not to happen faster than we cautiously predict.

Under promise, over deliver, I like it

Bullish post of the month

I like this post. Please give us more reasons as to why we won’t have to wait 2-3 years to see finals.

Thanks to the above for not being too unkind with my perhaps overly optimistic post.

NOW, If a few of our ducks line up next year then i am indeed bullish. For eg: Cunningham cements a spot in the 22, Curnow and or SPS has a break out year, DOW wins the rising star and or Lochie O brien has a good first season, one of our recycled comes on (Like a darcy,mullett, oshea and or a garlett) or an increase in expected output across the board from these types, and we don't have injuries to the likes of cripps, murphy or ed etc, AND then ADD TO THAT steady improvement from the rest THEN i cannot see why we cannot see a marked trend upwards in terms of results next year.

I KNOW FOR A FACT that SOS and Bolts etc will not be surprised if we kick on earlier than those external to the club expect/predict.

Disclaimer: I think with my heart and lead with my chin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to the above for not being too unkind with my perhaps overly optimistic post.

NOW, If a few of our ducks line up next year then i am indeed bullish. For eg: Cunningham cements a spot in the 22, Curnow and or SPS has a break out year, DOW wins the rising star and or Lochie O brien has a good first season, one of our recycled comes on (Like a darcy,mullett, oshea and or a garlett) or an increase in expected output across the board from these types, and we don't have injuries to the likes of cripps, murphy or ed etc, AND then ADD TO THAT steady improvement from the rest THEN i cannot see why we cannot see a marked trend upwards in terms of results next year.

I KNOW FOR A FACT that SOS and Bolts etc will not be surprised if we kick on earlier than those external to the club expect/predict.

It's exciting to think about what happens if say 10 of the 15 players we have from the previous three drafts ('14 to '16, including traded in players) jump up this year.

Only Polson and Kerr are yet to play AFL and look comfortable doing so.

Marchbank, Pickett, Garlett, JSOS, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cunners, Kennedy, SPS, Fish, McReadie and Willo.
These players are all yet to really break out.

It's exciting to think about what happens if say 10 of the 15 players we have from the previous three drafts ('14 to '16, including traded in players) jump up this year.

Only Polson and Kerr are yet to play AFL and look comfortable doing so.

Marchbank, Pickett, Garlett, JSOS, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cunners, Kennedy, SPS, Fish, McReadie and Willo.
These players are all yet to really break out.
Polson played a game last year

I have been surprised at how positive l feel about the list Sos has built. It’s really starting to take shape and look well balanced. SOS’s focus on pace and skill this draft has rounded out the team.

I like the look of our list now, first time for a long time. I think plenty is possible next year but am also aware that a lot depends on young players whose output can vary greatly in there first few years.

I think it’s possible we sneak into finals but it’s also possible a bunch of young players we depend on have an ordinary year. Could be fitness or form issues early in there career.

I have been surprised at how positive l feel about the list Sos has built. It’s really starting to take shape and look well balanced. SOS’s focus on pace and skill this draft has rounded out the team.

I like the look of our list now, first time for a long time. I think plenty is possible next year but am also aware that a lot depends on young players whose output can vary greatly in there first few years.

I think it’s possible we sneak into finals but it’s also possible a bunch of young players we depend on have an ordinary year. Could be fitness or form issues early in there career.
Add to that we are now 3 years into game plan and culture brought in by Bolts, new ideas keep coming in with asst coaches (esp Teague), and the moving on of the stragglers.

It will be an elite pre-season, exciting to see how it translates

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unfortunately to counter all the positives that come from our newbies and the development of our young'uns we have to balance against that the loss of perhaps our two best players - Gibbs for good and Doc for the year.

The loss of these two players sets us back enormously and I wonder whether the incoming and developing players will be enough to compensate for the loss of these 2 guns, let alone together with the probable decline in output of a couple of the older players, notably Thomas and Simpson.

Much as I'd like to hope that we go on an upwards trajectory next year I do worry about how we counter the 2 big losses.

On the positive side if you are going to have to bottom out the year before a super draft is the time to do it!

Unfortunately to counter all the positives that come from our newbies and the development of our young'uns we have to balance against that the loss of perhaps our two best players - Gibbs for good and Doc for the year.

The loss of these two players sets us back enormously and I wonder whether the incoming and developing players will be enough to compensate for the loss of these 2 guns, let alone together with the probable decline in output of a couple of the older players, notably Thomas and Simpson.

Much as I'd like to hope that we go on an upwards trajectory next year I do worry about how we counter the 2 big losses.

On the positive side if you are going to have to bottom out the year before a super draft is the time to do it!
After bottoming out for the majority of the last 15 years, I cannot see how bottoming out one more time, super draft or not, is going to be beneficial for our club.

After bottoming out for the majority of the last 15 years, I cannot see how bottoming out one more time, super draft or not, is going to be beneficial for our club.

+1

If this list built over the last 3 years cant cope with the loss of Docherty and Gibbs, I'm not sure it can be a bonafide flag list. We have gained Kennedy to partially offset Gibbs, and the HBFer role is one of the juiciest roles to play in a sides 22. 7/8 players will be vying for that rebounding HBFer role. Hoping the mature Byrne gets first crack.

On the positive side surely 3/4 of Silver, Weiters, Marchbank, Cuners, Pickett, Kennedy, Curnow, SPS and Fisher explode this season.

Surely 2/3 of Mckay, Kerr, Polson, Mcreadie and Williamson establish towards the end of the season a role in our best 22.

Pulling all of this together is Bolton with a structured game plan. It's why I feel whoever plays Docherty's role will shine in 2018.

The bottom 6-8 of our best 22 will be better, if not more. That easily offsets the loss of two players, even if one is our reigning B&F winner.

Spot on. I think we go out to win every game with Bolts running the show and I like that. He wants to develop a winning culture and looks from all intents and purposes to be slowly getting there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back