Steven Silvagni: Football's Biggest Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Carlton supporter for fifty years, I can honestly say that SILVAGNI is extremely overrated, especially when you compare him to most other list managers.

An arrogant bloke who always targets the predictable, list clogging rubbish that has infested the Blues for the past few years. His first year was his BEST year when he had plenty of high draft picks to play with. Number one was Weitering, followed by Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, David Cunningham (yet to fulfil his potential) and his son, Jack.

Since then, one has to ask what talent has he brought to this club????

Drafted 2016->
SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, Polson and Kerr (delisted) Rookied LeBois for three years of nothing

Drafted 2017->
Dow at 3, O'Brien at 10, De Koning, Schumacher (delisted), Garlett (delisted)

Traded for

2015->
Kerridge, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner, Gorringe, Plowman (all gone but Plowman)

2016->
Pickett, Marchbank, Smedts, Palmer (all gone but Marchbank)

2017->
Lobbe, Kennedy, Lang (Might all be gone)

2018->
Setterfield, McGovern, Newman (Good year)

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)

Could have signed Brandon Ellis - but decided to halt the deal after Cain Liddle presented the proposal to him.

Could have signed Ollie Wines - after representatives of Wines approached Carlton that he was interested in joining Carlton. Silvagni quickly stopped ANY further discussions, despite the obvious fact that Patrick Crippes needs another hard-bodied mid to help him.

Could have signed Dan Butler - but decided to halt the deal after initial talks involved SILVAGNI.

Silvagni always targets easy signings, players that lack ANY hardness at the ball.

As far as I am concerned, he hasn't help progressive's the club after four years of rebuilding, and I predict we willl still be a bottom four club in 2020.

SILVAGNI should have the decency to admit that he has STUFFED everything up, and do the honourable thing, which is to hand in his resignation. If not, I hope that he is sacked at the end of the year.

Spot on, I think SOS is an average list-manager not because of this year, but the last four.

Clearly GWS were happy to get rid of so many of their high draft pick, low yield players. And you would have thought the one person who would know better than anyone who was worth pursuing at GWS, was the man who assembled that list!

But perhaps the answer is implicit in that statement, SOS used a bevy of great picks to recruit average players in the first place.

You are 100% correct. SILVAGNI delisted FOUR small forwards from Carlton's list this year: Alex Fasolo, De Boyes, Pickett and Garlett.
He did not want Eddie Betts, and everybody at Carlton knows that this arrogant tosser tried to stop the Betts deal going through, but David Teague and Brad Llloyd overrode Silvagni (thank god).
To be fair all them deserve to be delisted and Pickett and Garlett weren’t even small forwards to begin with.

But that’s the point, SOS’s ability to identify and Procure small goal scorers is a huge problem.

In Boltons last 11 games Carltons average games played and average age of their sides were:
R1 - 77.3 & 24 yrs 9 months
R2 - 78.1 & 24 yrs 8 months
R3 - 80.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R4 - 83.3 & 24 yrs 10 months
R5 - 87.7 & 24 yrs 10 months
R6 - 88.7 & 24 yrs 11 months
R7 - 68.1 & 23 yrs 9 months
R8 - 71.5 & 23 yrs 9 months
R9 - 70.3 & 23 yrs 9 months
R10 - 77.9 & 24 yrs 3 months
R11 - 58.3 & 23 yrs 4 months

Under Teague
R12 - 79.5 & 24 yrs 3 months
R13 - 90 & 24 yrs 9 months
R15 - 93.5 & 25 yrs
R16 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R17 - 93.3 & 25 yrs 1 month
R18 - 95.4 & 25 yrs 2 months
R19 - 89 & 25 yrs
R20 - 74 & 24 yrs 4 months
R21 - 99.1 & 25 yrs 4 months
R22 - 94.5 & 25 yrs
R23 - 96.2 & 24 yrs 10 months

Seems to me that you've been conned by Teague loading the side with experience once he took over to get some wins on the board and get himself the job, while Bolton continued to play kids despite being under pressure to produce results. Teague is going to have to start playing and developing the kids at AFL level sooner rather than later if you want those good times to arrive as he can't rely on the old blokes to keep carrying the load

Eddie Betts Marc Pittonet and Jack Martin, if you get him, aren't going to make much difference to Carlton and expecting Docherty to come back and star after 24 months out of the game with 2 knee reconstructions isn't putting any pressure on him at all.

As for players that wanted to come to Carlton you could have had a 2 time premiership player in Ellis for free and also picked up another 1 for a 4th round pick had SOS not got a hard on for bringing Betts back. While neither are going to win games off their own boot, a 26 year old Ellis with 170+ games of experience and an ability to run all day would have been a handy addition on the win at Carlton. While 23 year old Butler would have added the speed and pressure that Betts no longer possesses.

Oh and Carlton had 64k members, not 75k like you claimed, but fudging figures is a very Carlton thing.
So teams play better footy if their players have more experience? Sounds a bit far-fetched to me....

But regardless everyone said it was SOSs botched list that set Bolton up to fail. Teague proved that it wasn’t the list that was the problem.

As a Carlton supporter for fifty years, I can honestly say that SILVAGNI is extremely overrated, especially when you compare him to most other list managers.

An arrogant bloke who always targets the predictable, list clogging rubbish that has infested the Blues for the past few years. His first year was his BEST year when he had plenty of high draft picks to play with. Number one was Weitering, followed by Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, David Cunningham (yet to fulfil his potential) and his son, Jack.

Drafted 2016->
SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, Polson and Kerr (delisted) Rookied LeBois for three years of nothing

Drafted 2017->

Traded for

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)

Could have signed Brandon Ellis - but decided to halt the deal after Cain Liddle presented the proposal to him.

Could have signed Ollie Wines - after representatives of Wines approached Carlton that he was interested in joining Carlton. Silvagni quickly stopped ANY further discussions, despite the obvious fact that Patrick Crippes needs another hard-bodied mid to help him.

Could have signed Dan Butler - but decided to halt the deal after initial talks involved SILVAGNI.

Silvagni always targets easy signings, players that lack ANY hardness at the ball.

As far as I am concerned, he hasn't help progressive's the club after four years of rebuilding, and I predict we willl still be a bottom four club in 2020.

SILVAGNI should have the decency to admit that he has STUFFED everything up, and do the honourable thing, which is to hand in his resignation. If not, I hope that he is sacked at the end of the year.
lack of hardness? setterfield says hi, as does newman even mcgovern goes hard

Thanks, needed a good laugh.

Now going to read the thread from the Freo supporter calling out Longmire for coaching his team to play boring football.

To be fair all them deserve to be delisted and Pickett and Garlett weren’t even small forwards to begin with.

But that’s the point, SOS’s ability to identify and Procure small goal scorers is a huge problem.
Yep they all deserved to be delisted, but it was SOS that brought all those players onto the list in the first place. There has to be a time when punters stop blaming the last regime for bad list management decisions.

That’s a rubbish comparison between the two coaches. Not only did you not see the glaring differences in the gameplay between the two coaches, but the numbers you’ve referenced are not diametrically opposed like you try to suggest.
The glaring difference was that Teague loaded up with experience to got cheap wins to appease the masses who were desperate for wins.

So teams play better footy if their players have more experience? Sounds a bit far-fetched to me....

But regardless everyone said it was SOSs botched list that set Bolton up to fail. Teague proved that it wasn’t the list that was the problem.
All Teague proved is that if you load the side with experienced players you'll get a better outcome. Lets see how he goes when he has to turn to the kids

Well, he was full back in the Team of the Century.

What's Dodoro's footy qualification again?

This post is a good example of why I rarely post on the main board anymore.

Poster A: Posits Argument
Poster B: Yeah but your team...

I know this is abit of a cop-out but we will know twice as much in 12 month as we do now. We actually won’t be that young of a side next year. (in term of our high end talent coming to an age where they should become stars if good enough or the very least be able to compete 4 quarters for 22 games) Except for about 2-3 kids that we will play most weeks, which every side does then there are no more excuses not to be able to perform.
I think SOS has done a good job in everything overall except identifying cheap mature trade options from other sides. His record speaks for itself and is probably up there with the worst in the league. Hopefully this was addressed when appointing Agresta.

The competition is far better when Carlton and it's fans are up and about .

Oh dear Jesus no, Melbourne as a city has become one of the most attractive and desirable places on Earth these last two decades largely because Carlton supporters have been firmly locked in their box.

People forget what it's like when they're good. The worst. Worse than Essendon even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drafted 2016->

Drafted 2017->

Traded for

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->

2019->
Pittonet, Betts (TBD)

To be fair, Gorringe looks like having a good career... in Commercial Real Estate.

His drafting has been good but not great, the same as it was at GWS. The reality is when you have a heap of top picks you'll miss out on some. The best clubs don't have top 10 pick busts because they don't have top 10 picks!

I like the better picks up from GWS - Marchbank, Setterfield, Plowman etc and the way he creative worked some of those trades and took on salary dumps.

If he made some errors I think it's that I'm shocked it took until this year to look at players like Gibbons a Newman just to thicken up the soup so to say. Too many light bodies overexposed in 2017/2018 and Bolton's plan of playing the kids on ball was a shocker.

Overall he's done a great job in one of the toughest gigs in town - bunkering down and waiting out the storm through a full Carlton rebuild.

Up until yesterday...... Martin might work out - sounds like GC are to blame for that one, and Papley might not have been available but it has to be disappointing that they haven't landed either of them. Watch and see.
Agreed
It’s easy to bash Carlton.
The GWS pick ups were there to fill a void.
That was mid range age bracket players who they desperately needed and at a bargain price.
Carlton have some serious talent on their list courtesy of the draft.
Their biggest flaw was that dud coach that they previously employed.
The Blues are in a far better position of developing sides when comparing to St.Kilda, North or even the Demons.

Unfortunately a lot of my fellow Carlton supporters are living in dreamland if they truly believe the list is bursting at the seams with talent.

Yes, one can mount a case that there are several potential top-graders employed at the club, but irrespective of that, we will never challenge for the eight whilst you field a team with garbage such as Josh DeLuca, Hugh Goddard, as well as paper weights like Polsen, O'Brien, Dow and Fisher. I would have identified these players as surplus, and quickly offloaded them NOW, as they will never amount too much. All butcher the ball as they have poor skills and disposals - does Carlton actually have any development coaches there?

Silvagni has a major lack of understanding what's required in rebuilding a list, you can't bloody well fill a senior list with kids, hoping that he might of fluked a few gems.

As a list manager, he has FAILED, he can't crunch the big deals, clubs such as Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast and Richmond leave Silvagni for dead when compared, and NONE of them have had the riches of both draft picks and salary cap space as SILVAGNI. The trouble is, Silvagni is one of the great conmen in the AFL, a legend in his own pants !!!!

Proof is in the pudding. GWS got better after he left and Carlton have been s**t since he's been there
You are 100% correct, conman Silvagni, has had more first round and second round draft picks to play with than any other list manager in recent memory, he's a GARBAGE list manager, and I hope the Carlton Board wake up and sack this incompetent imbecile.

Not sure why these Carlton supporters are so insecure.

If you want to talk about Essendon, go to the Essendon board or create a thread on the main board.

This thread is dedicated to analysing SOS failures as a list manager.

Club begins to rise, going 6-5 second half of the season, then we miss out on a small forward from syd = sack SOS.

But yes this is more of a bay 13 style thread.

Yep they all deserved to be delisted, but it was SOS that brought all those players onto the list in the first place. There has to be a time when punters stop blaming the last regime for bad list management decisions.
How many drafts did it take for Richmond to win a flag? Silvagnis had four drafts and trade periods, you roll off the misses easily but there's been a lot of hits as well, you come on here and only mention the misses, that's only half a story. While your at it have a look and see how many players from the last regime are still there, it was absolutely pathetic.

Just because you want something to happen, doesn’t mean it will.

I’d like a logical explanation as to why you think we will slip to 17th, but I am not expecting one.
Logic is at the eye of the beholder. Just because you don't think it's logical through your navy glasses, doesn't mean it isn't.

I don't think Teague has what it takes to be a full-time senior coach. I think he's a very good technical coach and understands forward set ups well, but I don't see him as a leader or innovative. Together with Silvagni's poor drafting record and inability to get an elite player like Papley, Coniglio or Shiel onboard, I think Carlton will regress significantly in 2020.

I know this is abit of a cop-out but we will know twice as much in 12 month as we do now. We actually won’t be that young of a side next year. (in term of our high end talent coming to an age where they should become stars if good enough or the very least be able to compete 4 quarters for 22 games) Except for about 2-3 kids that we will play most weeks, which every side does then there are no more excuses not to be able to perform.
I think SOS has done a good job in everything overall except identifying cheap mature trade options from other sides. His record speaks for itself and is probably up there with the worst in the league. Hopefully this was addressed when appointing Agresta.
It's not a cop out, it's a fact, we are on the right track, opposition supporters don't want to see it but who cares.

How many drafts did it take for Richmond to win a flag? Silvagnis had four drafts and trade periods, you roll off the misses easily but there's been a lot of hits as well, you come on here and only mention the misses, that's only half a story. While your at it have a look and see how many players from the last regime are still there, it was absolutely pathetic.
His trading out of players has been great. His trading in of players has been horrendous. Can you clarify where theres been “lots of hits” from the list below? How many ‘hits’ are there on the below (the word hit may be a little generous but let’s see how we go). And how many ‘misses’ are there in the list of 17 below?

2015->

2016->

2017->

2018->
Setterfield, McGovern, Newman (Good year), Bugg

By the way, I’m not comparing him to a flag winning team like you are. I’m just pointing out his atrocious record drafting in players at the Blues.

It's not a cop out, it's a fact, we are on the right track, opposition supporters don't want to see it but who cares.
It's not a fact. It's your opinion. Which is fine, but I along with others disagree with you, Carlton are not on the track to progressing past fifteenth on the ladder.

Logic is at the eye of the beholder. Just because you don't think it's logical through your navy glasses, doesn't mean it isn't.

I don't think Teague has what it takes to be a full-time senior coach. I think he's a very good technical coach and understands forward set ups well, but I don't see him as a leader or innovative. Together with Silvagni's poor drafting record and inability to get an elite player like Papley, Coniglio or Shiel onboard, I think Carlton will regress significantly in 2020.
SILVAGNI knows the blow torch is finally pointing at him, and after bungling all of the BIG targets in the past three years, as well as filling the Carlton list up with 70% of crap, his job may finally be on the line. This lazy imbecile will be scrambling through the delisted players now, the bloke needs to bring in close to a dozen players now, and can't afford to bring in many more kids next year. Carlton need players in the 24 to 27 age range, but does this idiot know this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back