Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Popped into Waverley today. Firstly, I tip my hat to all the regular track watchers. It's a tough job trying to work out who is who and what drills they are doing. The good news. Will Day is back in full contact match sim. Looked great, has put on a bit of muscle also. CJ was also but was pulled back for some skills work. Impey on light duties. JOM and Moore running/walking laps in runners.

From the little I saw the drills were focusing heavily on the transition from halfback/wing and into the forward line. Some passages looked slick, others not so much. Certainly a work in progress.

On a low note, young Brockman appeared to hurt his shoulder in a tackle. Was taken down stairs but reappeared and may not be too bad.
Callows hands are unbelievable. Clunked a couple of monsters.
McDonald is super smooth, looked great out there.
That's all I have for now. Bring on the Roos!

Again he does do that, but it’s not as much or often as people say. He’s more likely to do that and kick it to a sh*t contest where we are out numbered which isn’t considered a Clanger.
Either way, it is a problem. There is a good chance the ball comes back quickly when we are a defender short because he is still getting back to position. I am not sure you can have unreliable kicks in defence. If he goes for a run, one of our decent picks has get close enough and in sufficient space to take a hand pass. The problem is that everyone streams forward in hope. If we are going to keep Frost, we need a game plan to accommodate his kicking deficiency.

Callow. Believe.
I have more confidence of him sitting under a high ball in a contested situation taking the mark than Lewis, Kosi and Jeka.

But due to this ******* covid thing I have never seen him play live so have not idea how the other parts to his game are. Certainly took some good strong marks against Collingwood.

Popped into Waverley today. Firstly, I tip my hat to all the regular track watchers. It's a tough job trying to work out who is who and what drills they are doing. The good news. Will Day is back in full contact match sim. Looked great, has put on a bit of muscle also. CJ was also but was pulled back for some skills work. Impey on light duties. JOM and Moore running/walking laps in runners.

From the little I saw the drills were focusing heavily on the transition from halfback/wing and into the forward line. Some passages looked slick, others not so much. Certainly a work in progress.

On a low note, young Brockman appeared to hurt his shoulder in a tackle. Was taken down stairs but reappeared and may not be too bad.
Callows hands are unbelievable. Clunked a couple of monsters.
McDonald is super smooth, looked great out there.
That's all I have for now. Bring on the Roos!

Thank you Gerry for breaking up the Frost training thread

Are you sure? Because i'm not talking about a long kick to a 50-50 contest. More the 15-20 metre kick to a 50-50, not sure if that's a clanger or turnover.

He's very good at defending yes but not all or close to all of those clangers are "leading to goals" i'd say most wouldn't.

His good again does outweigh the bad.

We need someone to overtake him i agree, it'll happen in time.

He's improved alot since going from the Giants to Dees to us.

Either way, it is a problem. There is a good chance the ball comes back quickly when we are a defender short because he is still getting back to position. I am not sure you can have unreliable kicks in defence. If he goes for a run, one of our decent picks has get close enough and in sufficient space to take a hand pass. The problem is that everyone streams forward in hope. If we are going to keep Frost, we need a game plan to accommodate his kicking deficiency.
Towards the end of last season the back line was passing the ball to Bramble, who was using his speed and efficient kicking to move the ball forward to great effect. Our LLoyd/Daniel clone. Day was injured at the time. We looked much better as a team even though missing Day, CJ and Impey. Once we get a couple of these back I am sure we will play much better. Pity we look like starting the season possibly missing all four, and whoever starts will be underdone.

On the weekend we missed Hartigan and also Howe, who can play on talls. I'm sorry to offend the "play the youth" crowd but Denver isn't ready yet, without seasoned support. Missing two seasoned key defenders due to concussion protocols is bad luck. The season not having started is a plus.

Two weeks ago we were flying at training. Now we are in a slump with Tom possibly carrying an injury and still struggling with shallow forward entries. At least Ward is a shining light and some of the yougsters are showing a bit Pity we couldn't ease in to the seaon with the Pies, Crows and Eagles.

I think this one belongs here, even though it also belongs in the preview thread.

Was at training today and watched an intra club.

Observations
Newcombe has improved his kicking and was hitting up some bullet passes.
Wingard looked good on the spread a number of times.
Mitchell winning it in tight and feeding it out nicely
Will Day played really well and moving smoothly .
Lynch competing really well in the middle .
Kosi looks super fit and leading really well.

Lots of stop start with coach’s involved and providing commentary. The new coaching group are all very vocal and involved more than I have heard before at training .

Jaeger didn’t participate and was doing some kick to kick.
Downie did a huge boxing session and was being worked over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back