News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Melb coach ..Goodwin .. says the Priority Pick is outdate in this era .... .. no bias at all of course..
You need to look at GCS involvement in Hogan, Neale, Beams, May overall deal. Without GCS involvement none of this deal get done. How boring is it!!! Two week without a deal get done.

You’re still competitive because you have more talent on your list, and have had less injuries.
Our average draft pick is #42. The players missing have an average of #29.

Our talent is in turning late picks into decent players, we don't have the first round draft picks in the shed like other clubs.

Just for clarity.

Clubs are allowed to ask for a PP.
We are going to ask for one.
If we get a high PP, great.
If we don't, fair enough and time to move on.

But every club, every single club, should go out of their way to try and take advantage of anything that is allowed under the rules. That is what the Suns are doing.

I am fine with Demons and Crows fans getting annoyed that their might be a pick 1 PP because we would be taking an advantage off them. Every club in their situation would be talking against it so no surprises that these are the 2 clubs making the most noise so far. Yes, even though they have played in a GF and a prelim in recent years. They would be most affected by a pick 1 PP, so they should make some noise.

But we are still going to ask for a pick 1 PP.

Feel free to go through all the high picks we earnt along the way b/c we absolutely earnt them. The only ones we were 'given' were in the 2010 draft as part of the establishment rules. After that we earnt them by being rubbish or not being able to retain players.

Also, a shout out to Freo for being responsible for the much better establishment rules for GWS and the Suns. The AFL absolutely recognised that the Freo rules being applied to non-AFL states would not work. Need some early success to build a base. GWS did well (but would be worried about the long term if Cogs departs) and the Suns did not. Time to fix that, for the better of the whole AFL.

Suns completely revamped development, welfare teams. Maybe you should watch the last 2 years draftees Ballard, Powell, Lukosius, King before claiming that Suns can't develop kids. What kids want to leave?

I'm glad to here it, probably means you don't need a priority pick then.

Now that we have a points value to attach to picks, all clubs that have benefited from priority picks in the past should be made to pay draft reparations, and have the value of those deducted from their draft stocks until their debt to football society has been paid. It's the only way to right a historical wrong.

Once that's out of the way we can then deny all further requests without a shred of Vicco guilt.

Now that we have a points value to attach to picks, all clubs that have benefited from priority picks in the past should be made to pay draft reparations, and have the value of those deducted from their draft stocks until their debt to football society has been paid. It's the only way to right a historical wrong.

Once that's out of the way we can then deny all further requests without a shred of Vicco guilt.
Obviously in jest, but I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to assign some sort of value to the players on each list, compare them and assign draft points accordingly as a more "true" equalisation measure. I don't think there's any way to do it objectively though, short of something as riddled with problems as AFL player ratings. Perhaps the salary cap is as close as it ever gets..

There's nothing wrong with wanting more elite talent but Gold Coast have followed the Carlton model of trading out/delisting/letting their free agents go to play younger players,

Actually, that was the Hawthorn model originally. Worked better back when PP’s were guaranteed though.

The only player Carlton let loose who they could’ve kept was Tuohy, maybe Betts depending on who you listen to. So as a model of intention, it’s a little exaggerated.

If it's going to happen, as seems inevitable; Then an end of First rounder seems about on the mark.

You can't just give away pick 1 or 2 in this day & age.

Gave them pick 3 last year and the gaz trade were all gifts to help the suns out. Don't rule out anything

If it's going to happen, as seems inevitable; Then an end of First rounder seems about on the mark.

Why not? How many Home and away (travel) games players played back in old days where Hawthorn get priority pick compare to now.

Why not? How many Home and away (travel) games players played back in old days where Hawthorn get priority pick compare to now.
Because it's unfair on 17 other clubs. Adelaide took a big gamble to trading for Carlton's first this year and and deserve to be rewarded if it pays off for them. No club should be gifted a free pick before all 18 teams have had a chance to make a selection. Everyone should have an opportunity to draft the player they want before potentially missing out to a pick that was just given to a team.

Because it's unfair on 17 other clubs. Adelaide took a big gamble to trading for Carlton's first this year and and deserve to be rewarded if it pays off for them.
And their gamble was made with the knowledge that priority picks can be awarded by the AFL at their discretion, and that picks can be pushed back by extra picks being awarded, as happened in 2018. They should have no complaints whatsoever, they accepted that risk when they made the trade.

No club should be gifted a free pick before all 18 teams have had a chance to make a selection. Everyone should have an opportunity to draft the player they want before potentially missing out to a pick that was just given to a team.
Good, so with that in mind I'm sure your club won't mind paying back the points used for your two priority picks, as GUMBLETRON mentioned above. After all, not everyone had an opportunity to draft the player they want before potentially missing out to a pick that was just given to a team, in those two drafts.

And their gamble was made with the knowledge that priority picks can be awarded by the AFL at their discretion, and that picks can be pushed back by extra picks being awarded, as happened in 2018. They should have no complaints whatsoever, they accepted that risk when they made the trade.

Good, so with that in mind I'm sure your club won't mind paying back the points used for your two priority picks, as GUMBLETRON mentioned above. After all, not everyone had an opportunity to draft the player they want before potentially missing out to a pick that was just given to a team, in those two drafts.
I mean you can try and be snarky towards me but i agree that Hawthorn shouldn't have been given any priority picks, i don't like them for any club. I can't change what happened i am totally within my rights to be of the opinion that all 18 clubs should have the opportunity to make a selection at the Draft before any extra picks are handed out. An end of first round pick is hardly trash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean you can try and be snarky towards me but i agree that Hawthorn shouldn't have been given any priority picks, i don't like them for any club. I can't change what happened i am totally within my rights to be of the opinion that all 18 clubs should have the opportunity to make a selection at the Draft before any extra picks are handed out. An end of first round pick is hardly trash.
You seem sensitive, my comment was about Hawthorn, not you personally. You are of course entitled to your opinion, and so am I. My opinion is that the management of Hawthorn, or any other club that received a priority pick, should say nothing at all about the fairness of priority picks in the present day until and unless they return the points they in turn were gifted. If we're going by that principle you outlined above.

Did you hold the same belief when Hawthorn got their three priority picks? Hawthorn, Carlton and Melbourne have all had three picks at the start of the 1st round. The GCS are a basket case, much worse than what those teams ever were. Now those teams and Collingwood are allowed to use the northern clubs as their recruitment grounds.

Because it's unfair on 17 other clubs. Adelaide took a big gamble to trading for Carlton's first this year and and deserve to be rewarded if it pays off for them. No club should be gifted a free pick before all 18 teams have had a chance to make a selection. Everyone should have an opportunity to draft the player they want before potentially missing out to a pick that was just given to a team.
Then why was it fair when your team gained Hodge, Roughead and Ellis? The priority pick was the main reason behind your premiership success. I find it extremely hypocritical of Hawks supporters to now be against the GCS getting one. Now that you've milked the system for all it's worth you now want to get rid of it.

Then why was it fair when your team gained Hodge, Roughead and Ellis? The priority pick was the main reason behind your premiership success. I find it extremely hypocritical of Hawks supporters to now be against the GCS getting one. Now that you've milked the system for all it's worth you now want to get rid of it.
No... I don't think it was fair when we gained from it... Not hypocritical and i am being totally consistent with my opinion.

You really like to embelish things..the last front ended PP was issued 10 YEARS AGO. No way did the crows have full knowledge that it might happen. I have provided commentary from the clubs themselves pushing back against PP's and the reasons they give and live pick trading is front and centre of that argument. As for start up concessions - GC had far far far more assistance by way of draft concessions, opportunity to poach players etc than the crows ever did. No one is denying that the AFL should not give further assistance to the Suns but those that are fair minded and understand the effort and resources that go into the setting up for a draft from the clubs also understand why no front end PP should be given. It is only those shouting from the cheap seats that don't have an understanding of this

You really like to embelish things..the last front ended PP was issued 10 YEARS AGO. No way did the crows have full knowledge that it might happen. I have provided commentary from the clubs themselves pushing back against PP's and the reasons they give and live pick trading is front and centre of that argument. As for start up concessions - GC had far far far more assistance by way of draft concessions, opportunity to poach players etc than the crows ever did. No one is denying that the AFL should not give further assistance to the Suns but those that are fair minded and understand the effort and resources that go into the setting up for a draft from the clubs also understand why no front end PP should be given. It is only those shouting from the cheap seats that don't have an understanding of this
Did AFL inform all team that when Adelaide and Carlton exchange pick there won't be any priority pick given this year , don't do thing based on assumption.

Did AFL inform all team that when Adelaide and Carlton exchange pick there won't be any priority pick given this year , don't do thing based on assumption.
On the other hand did the AFL say they were going to give a front end PP?..if not then maybe adelaide has a good case to go the AFL for full compensation as they may not have done the pick swap if the AFL were going to award a front end PP

If AFL had set up Sun properly (they did the opposite) it would not have to assist them now.
What? How were the Suns not set up properly?

First 4 years
2011: 3 wins 56.3%
2012: 3 wins 60.8%
2013: 8 wins 91.7%
2014: 10 wins 93.7%

Suns were improving every year. What do the Suns do? Sack Guy McKenna and appoint Rocket Eade

2015: 4 wins 72.9%

But hey let’s blame the AFL for giving the Suns 9 of the first 15 picks in the 2010 draft, and a larger salary cap by $1million to poach the best player in the Comp (Gary Ablett) among others before free agency came in.

They did the Suns wrong, give the the Suns a priority pick.

What? How were the Suns not set up properly?
  • Tin sheds for facilities
  • Stadium in the middle of nowhere with substandard transport links
  • GWS being given given a larger initial list size
  • GWS being given 7 years to cut down to a regular list size compared to Gold Coast's 4.
  • GWS being handed a far superior zone
  • GWS entering the comp after the Suns did and subsequently receiving three #1 overall picks to the Suns' one.
  • GWS being given four mini draft picks to trade, to the Suns' zero.

• Tin sheds for facilities
  • Stadium in the middle of nowhere with substandard transport links
  • GWS being given given a larger initial list size
  • GWS being given 7 years to cut down to a regular list size compared to Gold Coast's 4.
  • GWS being handed a far superior zone
  • GWS entering the comp after the Suns did and subsequently receiving three #1 overall picks to the Suns' one.
  • GWS being given four mini draft picks to trade, to the Suns' zero.
What has GWS getting have to go with the GC not being set up properly? GWS got way over the top imo.

Fact is Gold Coast had 10 win, 12 losses, 93.7% after 4 season, and the club was running in the right direction. They were basically a middle club, missed the finals by 2 games and % and everyone was expecting them to make the leap to finals the following year.

They made decisions that turned them backwards.

I’ll give you the tin shed facilities even though they were improving in those years, it didn’t seem to matter back then.

The transport to the stadium should have nothing to do how the team performs.

What has GWS getting have to go with the GC not being set up properly? GWS got way over the top imo.
Because they didn't get the same concessions. GWS had both a recruiting advantage over Gold Coast and also prevented them getting an additional #1 overall pick, which boosted GWS' eventual rise at the expense of Gold Coast's.

The transport to the stadium should have nothing to do how the team performs.
Because it's an example of the AFL's neglect of them. People crap on all the time about culture and how crowds play a part in the decision of a player to stay or go.

Because they didn't get the same concessions. GWS had both a recruiting advantage over Gold Coast and also prevented them getting an additional #1 overall pick, which boosted GWS' eventual rise at the expense of Gold Coast's.

Because it's an example of the AFL's neglect of them. People crap on all the time about culture and how crowds play a part in the decision of a player to stay or go.
It doesn’t change the fact the Gold Coast had 10 wins after 4 season and looked finals bound. They got given enough. They made decisions that turned their fortunes around, regardless of what GWS got, GWS can’t afford to keep what they got given.

The AFL isn’t in the public transport business. Carrara oval had Rugby played on it before the VFL played its first game there in 1986. Where else should of built the stadium?

The AFL put a team on the Gold Coast, what do you want them to do? Build a train line out there? That’s on the QLD government. The AFL doesn’t build train lines to MCG, Adelaide oval, Perth Stadium, the SCG. The state governments do that.

Does the QLD state government support have an AFL team on the Gold Coast? Maybe they should help the fans get out there.

You think the AFL is neglecting them? They pump $25 million into the club every year. They didn’t spend a fortune to just neglect them.

If there’s no transport to Carrara the AFL should of just saved their money and not put a team there in the first place.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back