News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence CTID as I rate you as a poster but your stating opinion as if was fact and then using it to have a dig at my club

The offers you stated simply weren’t made and as such the Suns did not knock them back

There are plenty of examples of where the Suns have cocked things up but this isn’t one of them

Could of not just loaded up on picks could of loaded up on some experience players especially 2,3 and 6 could buy a great foundation, they wouldn’t be asking for handouts thats for sure
absolutely..but they stuck their head in the sand and took 2 kids with picks 2 & 3..and now are running to the AFL to get more 18 year old kids, when they could have made other decisions last year that would have helped them far more this year in many people's eyes
You need the right players offered, who are willing to move to the Suns, to trade pick 2 or 3.

I mean seriously, if CEY is the best player willing to move north, are you going to put pick 3 on the table, or a late second round pick.

You guys act so smug, and all high and mighty like the Crouch brothers were on the table and Gold Coast turned them down.

And what does this article prove? It’s full of speculation. Count how many times the word “may” is used.

There’s not one concrete fact in there that either Adelaide team put their first two picks on the table. Actually the opposite where Port is concerned.

When Gold Coast had a full list, and could pick their best 22, they were competitive in their first five games, winning 3 and losing 2 others by a point or two.

As soon as injuries hit, their lack of depth was exposed, and they plummeted. They’ve played most of the last 12 games with between 7 and 9 of their best 22 missing, and that’s not including Rankine either.

You need the right players offered, who are willing to move to the Suns, to trade pick 2 or 3.

I mean seriously, if CEY is the best player willing to move north, are you going to put pick 3 on the table, or a late second round pick.

You guys act so smug, and all high and mighty like the Crouch brothers were on the table and Gold Coast turned them down.

And what does this article prove? It’s full of speculation. Count how many times the word “may” is used.

There’s not one concrete fact in there that either Adelaide team put their first two picks on the table. Actually the opposite where Port is concerned.

When Gold Coast had a full list, and could pick their best 22, they were competitive in their first five games, winning 3 and losing 2 others by a point or two.

As soon as injuries hit, their lack of depth was exposed, and they plummeted. They’ve played most of the last 12 games with between 7 and 9 of their best 22 missing, and that’s not including Rankine either.
If you are wanting to believe GC were not offered a big pick swap offer from the SA clubs that is up to you. I heard differently and i'll back my source on it.

But seriously..in a super draft do you honestly think that if GC had put up pick 2 to trade for a player that they could do no better than CEY ...really.

Oh and as you say GC have had injuries and their performances have dipped..that being the case why are they running to the AFL demanding a PP to grab another 18 year old kid?..surely they can see they don't need one when they have their full team out on the park

If you are wanting to believe GC were not offered a big pick swap offer from the SA clubs that is up to you. I heard differently and i'll back my source on it.

But seriously..in a super draft do you honestly think that if GC had put up pick 2 to trade for a player that they could do no better than CEY ...really.

Oh and as you say GC have had injuries and their performances have dipped..that being the case why are they running to the AFL demanding a PP to grab another 18 year old kid?..surely they can see they don't need one when they have their full team out on the park
There is no point eating out of date food. I have no doubt you have all the lotto number before they're announced, I trust your source too.

Love to see all the trades that were offered but rejected. Be interesting reading

Further to that comes back to players having all the power they have to say yes for the trade to go through. Clubs hands tied if all players say no.

Someone speaking some sense, gold coasts depth was always going to be exposed in the 2nd half of season. They have a few blow outs after being more than competitive for the first 13 weeks and everyone loses their minds. At the start the season most people wouldve had them only winning 2 maybe 3 games for the season, they did that in the first month. Have dearly missed ainsworth, bowes, collins and rankine hasnt even got on the park yet. Give them a chance

Look at it this way - how has not trading pick 1 gone for the Suns in the last 5 years?
Hard to say, given they've never had pick 1 in the last 5 years.

Maybe the AFL takes pick 1 off them and hands back 15, 16 and 18 (about the same points) so they can trade them for some of the likes above who aren't worth pick 1 alone.
Oh, what a surprise, an Adelaide poster is campaigning for moves that directly benefit Adelaide. Colour me shocked.

GC had the chance last year to load up on first round picks from the 2 SA clubs and thumbed their nose at it. Imagine if they had take the crows picks 8 & 13 for pick 3 and taken ports 5 & 10 for pick 2 for example. They could have ended up with Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Jones.instead they take a project key position in Lukosius and Rankine who has yet to play a game for them through injury. Those first 4 players all would have had a much bigger impact than what 2 players (one of which has been injured all year) would have.
This is a very silly post. Gold Coast's aim was not to win an extra game or two this year (and I doubt four 18 year olds would have even done that, because Gold Coast's problem is injuries and a lack of talented mature midfielders). Their aim was to pick the best players possible that would stick around. Rankine has already committed beyond his rookie contract, perhaps Lukosius will too. They're certainly more talented than those four, so let's wait a few years before judging this as evidence that "their decision making has not been great". Why isn't every club in a rush to trade down (outside of academy bidding) if quantity is so much better than quality?

Last edited:
Hard to say, given they've never had pick 1 in the last 5 years.

Oh, what a surprise, an Adelaide poster is campaigning for moves that directly benefit Adelaide. Colour me shocked.

This is a very silly post. Gold Coast's aim was not to win an extra game or two this year (and I doubt four 18 year olds would have even done that, because Gold Coast's problem is injuries and a lack of talented mature midfielders). Their aim was to pick the best players possible that would stick around. Rankine has already committed beyond his rookie contract, perhaps Lukosius will too. They're certainly more talented than those four, so let's wait a few years before judging this as "poor decision making". Why isn't every club in a rush to trade down (outside of academy bidding) if quantity is so much better than quality?
Sounds like you have never watched Rozee or Butters or Duursma play then. Rozee is going to be a superstar and Duursma and Butters look ace in their 1st year already. Gold coast are the last side right now that could afford to play the long game - they needed impact and fast and once they had an on field competitive base to build from then players would be more aligned to wanting to go there

Sounds like you have never watched Rozee or Butters or Duursma play then. Rozee is going to be a superstar and Duursma and Butters look ace in their 1st year already.
Sounds like you paid absolutely no attention to any of them before this season then. Lukosius has been described by professional draft watchers as "a once in a generation key position prospect" and Rankine has been described as even more talented. None of those four are in the same category for pure talent. It's possible they could have better careers, but it's very premature to judge, seeing as talls take time to develop and Rankine has been injured, as any (or all) of your four could have been had they been drafted to the Gold Coast.

Let's also appreciate that many players start off with a bang and then develop second year blues, like Cam Rayner is having this year. All of those four could find themselves in the same situation. And what guarantee is there that any of them would have stayed at the Gold Coast and signed another contract? Maybe Rozee would have demanded a trade to SA and Butters to Victoria. Rankine was considered a flight risk last year and yet Gold Coast have re-signed him, clearly they did their homework on who would stay.

Gold coast are the last side right now that could afford to play the long game - they needed impact and fast and once they had an on field competitive base to build from then players would be more aligned to wanting to go there
BS. The instant impact they need would come from talented veterans, not 18 year olds who are inconsistent and still learning the ropes. Gold Coast can afford to play the long game when it comes to young players, they're not going to the finals anytime soon and the AFL won't let them go out of existence either. They had just lost their only top KPP and game-breaking mid/forward at the time, so why wouldn't they go out and get prospects who will be direct replacements for both?

Port's finals contention isn't primarily because of their draftees, it's because they have talented mature players like Boak and Gray that the youngsters can play around. Give them a bog standard list like Gold Coast's to play with, wipe out half of that list with injury and I assure you they would remain in last place.

This is a very silly post. Gold Coast's aim was not to win an extra game or two this year (and I doubt four 18 year olds would have even done that, because Gold Coast's problem is injuries and a lack of talented mature midfielders). Their aim was to pick the best players possible that would stick around. Rankine has already committed beyond his rookie contract, perhaps Lukosius will too. They're certainly more talented than those four, so let's wait a few years before judging this as evidence that "their decision making has not been great". Why isn't every club in a rush to trade down (outside of academy bidding) if quantity is so much better than quality?
Well if their aim is not to win ganes thisyear why are they asking for another pick? It's looking like they are right on target with where they want to be

Sounds like you have never watched Rozee or Butters or Duursma play then. Rozee is going to be a superstar and Duursma and Butters look ace in their 1st year already. Gold coast are the last side right now that could afford to play the long game - they needed impact and fast and once they had an on field competitive base to build from then players would be more aligned to wanting to go there
I agree, but none of the draftees would significantly add to this. Rozee, Butters, whoever. They need experienced 28yos who have been there to show the way for the kids.

Rozee would be another Luko at GC, going well but not as well as having Boak, Gray, Ebert around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if their aim is not to win ganes thisyear why are they asking for another pick? It's looking like they are right on target with where they want to be
Because they'll take any advantage they can get. Any club would in their situation. They have been down in the doldrums for a while and clubs routinely petition for assistance in that situation.

Like you, I think their problem is with mature talent, so they should be given extra cap space and an end of first round pick so they can go after someone like Josh P Kennedy.

Sounds like you paid absolutely no attention to any of them before this season then. Lukosius has been described by professional draft watchers as "a once in a generation key position prospect" and Rankine has been described as even more talented. None of those four are in the same category for pure talent. It's possible they could have better careers, but it's very premature to judge, seeing as talls take time to develop and Rankine has been injured, as any (or all) of your four could have been had they been drafted to the Gold Coast.

Let's also appreciate that many players start off with a bang and then develop second year blues, like Cam Rayner is having this year. All of those four could find themselves in the same situation. And what guarantee is there that any of them would have stayed at the Gold Coast and signed another contract? Maybe Rozee would have demanded a trade to SA and Butters to Victoria. Rankine was considered a flight risk last year and yet Gold Coast have re-signed him, clearly they did their homework on who would stay.

BS. The instant impact they need would come from talented veterans, not 18 year olds who are inconsistent and still learning the ropes. Gold Coast can afford to play the long game when it comes to young players, they're not going to the finals anytime soon and the AFL won't let them go out of existence either. They had just lost their only top KPP and game-breaking mid/forward at the time, so why wouldn't they go out and get prospects who will be direct replacements for both?

Port's finals contention isn't primarily because of their draftees, it's because they have talented mature players like Boak and Gray that the youngsters can play around. Give them a bog standard list like Gold Coast's to play with, wipe out half of that list with injury and I assure you they would remain in last place.
Well considering I have seen Lukosius play live numerous times last year and also the year before and also saw Rozee play live last year AND saw Rankine live last year I suspect I know how good they were. As for pure talent, sure Lukosius and Rankine were right up there as noted by many draft scribes - yet Carlton drafted Walsh with pick 1. I can tell you that Port also had Rozee as their primary target and that is from people involved with the club. Point was GC needed bulk of talent and had the chance to grab it last year and didn't - then they get rid of Lyons..do not deserve a PP

Well considering I have seen Lukosius play live numerous times last year and also the year before and also saw Rozee play live last year AND saw Rankine live last year I suspect I know how good they were.
And yet you think they're less naturally talented than Duursma or Jones. I wonder how closely you were watching.

As for pure talent, sure Lukosius and Rankine were right up there as noted by many draft scribes - yet Carlton drafted Walsh with pick 1.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. What relevance does Walsh have to this conversation? Carlton had two developing tall forwards making big strides and a hole in midfield, so I can understand why they chose Walsh.

I can tell you that Port also had Rozee as their primary target and that is from people involved with the club.
What did they say exactly? Would they have chosen Rozee over Lukosius and Rankine had all of them been available? If not, I don't see what relevance this has.

Point was GC needed bulk of talent and had the chance to grab it last year and didn't - then they get rid of Lyons..do not deserve a PP
Bit of a non-sequitur. I've explained why quality is better than quantity when it comes to draftees for Gold Coast and you haven't responded to that at all, so I don't accept your point.

And yet you think they're less naturally talented than Duursma or Jones. I wonder how closely you were watching.

Whoever said that - I certainly didn't. I don't know how many times I have to try and make the same point or in how many different ways - we know that Lukosius and Rankine were highly talented - but guess what, so were rozee, butters and duursma - THEY HAD THE CHANCE TO GET MORE TALENTED KIDS IN by trading down. are you telling me that these kids are no good..Rozee, Butters, Duursma and come to think of it add in Clark for Geelong, Hately at GWS,

I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. What relevance does Walsh have to this conversation? Carlton had two developing tall forwards making big strides and a hole in midfield, so I can understand why they chose Walsh.

The very point that there were kids that were more highly rated in the draft than Rankine and Lukosius - and Carlton already had a heap of 1st round talent on their books so had less need to try and regenerate their stocks of juniors like GC did

What did they say exactly? Would they have chosen Rozee over Lukosius and Rankine had all of them been available? If not, I don't see what relevance this has.

Yes - that is exactly what I have been told. Rozee was seen to be their natural replacement for Robbie Gray so there is the relevance in black and white

Bit of a non-sequitur. I've explained why quality is better than quantity when it comes to draftees for Gold Coast and you haven't responded to that at all, so I don't accept your point.

But your whole argument is strawman because all the kids I listed ARE quality and like i said time and time again, GC needed depth of quality and had the
chance to take it and didn't - so they have no right to now go the AFL to beg for more 18 year olds at the expense of every other team in the comp

The Crows should consider a massive salary dump - Bryce Gibbs, CEY, Tex Walker & Sam Jacobs for what ever pick GCS will give them.

Would suit both club, Gold Coast get some experienced leadership and mature bodies whilst Adelaide get salary cap relief and a chance to reset without bottoming out.

Love the simple thinkers who say that GC should trade pick 1 or 2 or whatever - No gun players want to move to the club - It's like some live in a parallel universe.
Exactly. I've seen a few pundits suggest that the Suns don't need another eighteen year old; they should be looking to trade-in experienced players. But they've been trying to do that. Those pundits aren't offering anything the administration doesn't already know and hasn't already been trying for years. Players aren't interested, though. When O'Meara asked for a trade to the Hawks, the Suns' first priority was trading in an experienced player, but every Hawthorn player said 'nope' (they really wanted Breust for example).

Well considering I have seen Lukosius play live numerous times last year and also the year before and also saw Rozee play live last year AND saw Rankine live last year I suspect I know how good they were.
Good enough for you to make upward of a hundred posts on Rankine and what a generational talent he is.

Good enough for you to make upward of a hundred posts on Rankine and what a generational talent he is.
so what is it to you..if you are going to bother to post a smart arse comment then bother to read why I have posted and why it was posted. Yes they are great kids, but this is about GC strategy and i am not going to bother to rewrite the reasons I think they erred

Impact for the now doesn’t always pay off. I bet Melbourne regret giving up pick 2 (josh Kelly) and trading back to get Tyson and salem. It so happens that now a josh Kelly type is exactly what they need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back