News Swinburne Centre at Punt Road Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Well why start at Casey and Footscray?
Punt Rd would have a greater chance of achieving that . As I said earlier the rfc at PRO will start 5 years later with the aflw and get bigger crowds than all the other venues. They won’t get 20k in all the areas theyre supporting as the vfl teams struggle to get 3K. This number is years away and the only team capable of getting big numbers would be RFC with pre main games at PRO.A crowd of 20k is a pipe dream and the grounds will mirror Suns and GWS games. They wouldn’t even be able to give the tickets away. What you’re forgetting people only have the budget and time to get to probably two events per week so I don’t know where all these folks are going to come from.Soccer , Cricket and rugby all have Women team and set up before AFL and look at their numbers.

im not saying my opinion on this, i think aflw crowds will plummet if they charge $10 to get in.

the AFL is looking however at a 24k and a 19k opening game at visy. they dont want to lose that, and its impossible for even an upgraded PRO to host that unless we have a bigger redevelopment than planned (which brings in the yarra park problems)

footscray and casey are easy answers. bases that firstly pioneered womens footy in the afl. those bases are in less well off communities too, which makes it an easier sell to govt

PS
If they get numbers anywhere between 8-10k then they’ve had a massive success.

2017 ground attendances
Ground Avg. per game
Blacktown - 3,000
Casey Fields - 4,322
Domain Stadium - 1,200
Fremantle Oval - 7,289
IKON Park - 10,400
Manuka Oval - 6,460
Metricon Stadium - 15,610
Norwood Oval - 12,108
Olympic Park Oval - 2,600
Rushton Park - 2,800
South Pine Sports Complex - 4,400
Thebarton Oval - 9,148
TIO Stadium - 5,100
VU Whitten Oval - 8,126

2018 ground attendances
Ground Avg. per game
Blacktown - 2,409
Casey Fields - 3,667
Drummoyne Oval - 4,952
Fremantle Oval - 2,848
Ikon Park - 10,784
Moreton Bay - 2,600
Norwood Oval - 7,330
Olympic Park Oval - 2,950
Optus Stadium - 41,975
South Pine Sports Complex - 3,400
Ted Summerton Reserve - 2,700
TIO Stadium - 2,159
TIO Traeger Park - 2,000
UNSW Canberra Oval - 4,146
VU Whitten Oval - 8,360

im not saying my opinion on this, i think aflw crowds will plummet if they charge $10 to get in.

the AFL is looking however at a 24k and a 19k opening game at visy. they dont want to lose that, and its impossible for even an upgraded PRO to host that unless we have a bigger redevelopment than planned (which brings in the yarra park problems)

footscray and casey are easy answers. bases that firstly pioneered womens footy in the afl. those bases are in less well off communities too, which makes it an easier sell to govt
One off events like openers will always draw large crowds . I pay $10 to get to vfl games and edfl games which still struggle to draw big numbers. The vfl GF at last year with us in it was around 30k. If they pull in 8-10 k pet game then it will be a success, but I call it near impossible unless the Melb population explodes to 20million. Just my opinion and I may be wrong.

One off events like openers will always draw large crowds . I pay $10 to get to vfl games and edfl games which still struggle to draw big numbers. The vfl GF at last year with us in it was around 30k. If they pull in 8-10 k pet game then it will be a success, but I call it near impossible unless the Melb population explodes to 20million. Just my opinion and I may be wrong.

excluding the openers IKON draws 6k on average, dogs have never hosted the opener.

again, you're arguing with this wrong person here, because this isnt about my view, but afl perception

2017 ground attendances
Ground Avg. per game
Blacktown - 3,000
Casey Fields - 4,322
Domain Stadium - 1,200
Fremantle Oval - 7,289
IKON Park - 10,400
Manuka Oval - 6,460
Metricon Stadium - 15,610
Norwood Oval - 12,108
Olympic Park Oval - 2,600
Rushton Park - 2,800
South Pine Sports Complex - 4,400
Thebarton Oval - 9,148
TIO Stadium - 5,100
VU Whitten Oval - 8,126

2018 ground attendances
Ground Avg. per game
Blacktown - 2,409
Casey Fields - 3,667
Drummoyne Oval - 4,952
Fremantle Oval - 2,848
Ikon Park - 10,784
Moreton Bay - 2,600
Norwood Oval - 7,330
Olympic Park Oval - 2,950
Optus Stadium - 41,975
South Pine Sports Complex - 3,400
Ted Summerton Reserve - 2,700
TIO Stadium - 2,159
TIO Traeger Park - 2,000
UNSW Canberra Oval - 4,146
VU Whitten Oval - 8,360
Looks like the growth rate has already peaked. I’m surprised as looking at the games you could have sworn they were empty. I wonder how many freebies were handed out? I still think they’re 15-20 years away from getting the numbers they’re predicting. The Optus game was that a one off being the gf?

Last edited:
excluding the openers IKON draws 6k on average, dogs have never hosted the opener.

again, you're arguing with this wrong person here, because this isnt about my view, but afl perception
I reckon they’re dreaming and went to the wrong place as Richmond was the ideal location. I’m aware that it’s not your view.

Looks like the growth rate has already peaked. I’m surprised as looking at the games you could have sworn they were empty. I wonder how many freebies were handed out? I still think they’re 15-20 years away from getting the numbers they’re predicting. The Optus game was that a one off being the vfl gf?

1) first year was always gunna have a curiosity bump, and you were 100% gunna get second year blues. moving forward the idea will be more will come to games as the junior develop starts driving greater interest in girls, and the quality of the games improves.

2) off memory, except for optus stadium they were all freebies

3) no, the Optus game with the first footy event at the new stadium

1) first year was always gunna have a curiosity bump, and you were 100% gunna get second year blues. moving forward the idea will be more will come to games as the junior develop starts driving greater interest in girls, and the quality of the games improves.

2) off memory, except for optus stadium they were all freebies

3) no, the Optus game with the first footy event at the new stadium
All freebies that hardly sounds sustainable.

personally i think AFLW should remain free, and i wouldn't be against the AFL subsidising similar in the vfl

JFYI the Dees billed its AFLW side at $700k in 2017. Charging $10 a head, free for members (most likely) would bring in SFA compared to the AFL subsidy and the corporate sponsorships

personally i think AFLW should remain free, and i wouldn't be against the AFL subsidising similar in the vfl

JFYI the Dees billed its AFLW side at $700k in 2017. Charging $10 a head, free for members (most likely) would bring in SFA compared to the AFL subsidy and the corporate sponsorships
All this is telling me that whether they get 100 people or 20k it will not survive unless people open up their wallets or sponsors jump on board .
Clubs are going to have to sell a lot of food and raffle tickets just to break even. Sounds like a poor fairytale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this is telling me that whether they get 100 people or 20k it will not survive unless people open up their wallets or sponsors jump on board .
Clubs are going to have to sell a lot of food and raffle tickets just to break even. Sounds like a poor fairytale.

It’s sponsors driving this

Rfc had serious sponsors waiting for us to get the nod in 2018

Also it’s being given to c7 for free, so that is the other future income stream

For reference the total AFL spend on AFLW in 2017 was $5 mil. The same year they spend $25 mil on propping up the Suns. It's almost making money as it is and now they're about to sell the TV rights for the first time. Not too much pressure to charge entry anytime soon.

I wish them luck and thank God the AFL is loaded

dont disagree

dont discount the importance of the womens comp to getting govt funding though

heard at a function last year the amount of support the govt would provide PRO was 100% tied to us getting a womens team

For reference the total AFL spend on AFLW in 2017 was $5 mil. The same year they spend $25 mil on propping up the Suns. It's almost making money as it is and now they're about to sell the TV rights for the first time. Not too much pressure to charge entry anytime soon.
Not arguing with you about the Suns as that’s diabolical. The TV rights are for free as rfc74 just posted. It may become a potential money source. The AFL biggest cost will be into the infrastructure which won’t be cheap. As I said in an earlier post Ikon is a tear down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back