Scandal The 2016 finals series was rigged

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh... Couldn't sleep last night and this wafted across my memory. I haven't watched a replay of it since, but from what I remember the game was extremely tough and close. Swans had more passengers, couldn't get anything at all from their forwards and their defence was underdone.

Biggest issue I had on the day was that Mitchell or Kennedy, or even Boyd should have been BOG. JJ winning it was like a knife in the ribs after being pissed on. The two Rampe moments in the second half still sick out like a sore thumb, that non-free for holding on the last was a disgrace.

I never thought it was a fix, just that the umps were clearly over awed by the situation. That whole week leading up was so strongly in the Dogs favour you could just feel the tension about to explode. The GF parade in particular.

I still have particular issues with the second quarter and that it was just 2 points instead of 3 goals. That free & 50 was the biggest load of horse s**t this side of the 19th century.

Ah well, karma always comes around. Fair play to the AFL, they've invested more heavily in umpiring since and players like Toby McLean will soon be a thing of the past.

The better side won it, can't argue. There was a huge amount of luck in winning it, but you need more than just luck.

My biggest issue wasn't the game, which was pretty good all scandals removed, it's with the behaviour of Dogs supporters afterwards, like grateful didn't even enter their psyche. Unlike Cats, Port, Swans, Pies & Tigers in the last 15 years or so, especially the leadership of the club that acted like big wig self important douches.

Last edited:

As an AFL fan I'd love to be able to look back on it with some positivity, but the immediate and enduring experience with fans since the game has been anything but. So yeah, * em. Hope they lose by 100 this weekend.
The Dogs played perfect footy all through the finals, while you got pantsed by the Giants and got overrun late in the big one. It was the correct result and a delightful one at that.

Ahh... Couldn't sleep last night and this wafted across my memory. I haven't watched a replay of it since, but from what I remember the game was extremely tough and close. Swans had more passengers, couldn't get anything at all from their forwards and their defence was underdone.

Biggest issue I had on the day was that Mitchell or Kennedy, or even Boyd should have been BOG. JJ winning it was like a knife in the ribs after being pissed on. The two Rampe moments in the second half still sick out like a sore thumb, that non-free for holding on the last was a disgrace.

I never thought it was a fix, just that the umps were clearly over awed by the situation. That whole week leading up was so strongly in the Dogs favour you could just feel the tension about to explode. The GF parade in particular.

I still have particular issues with the second quarter and that it was just 2 points instead of 3 goals. That free & 50 was the biggest load of horse s**t this side of the 19th century.

Ah well, karma always comes around. Fair play to the AFL, they've invested more heavily in umpiring since and players like Toby McLean will soon be a thing of the past.

The better side won it, can't argue. There was a huge amount of luck in winning it, but you need more than just luck.

My biggest issue wasn't the game, which was pretty good all scandals removed, it's with the behaviour of Dogs supporters afterwards, like grateful didn't even enter their psyche. Unlike Cats, Port, Swans, Pies & Tigers in the last 15 years or so, especially the leadership of the club that acted like big wig self important douches.

Boyd should have won 2016, Houli should have won 2017. Boyd was the difference in his marking and contests and his goals were huge. Very much cheated.

JJ was a stat padder in 2016 and did very little. Houli played the same role but was brilliant all day and he was instrumental in scores. Dusty popped up late and dominated after the game was already lost. Still played a great game, but Houli was great all day.

I was shocked when JJ won it, disappointed when Dusty won it.

Josh Kennedy was best in ground in my opinion, kept the swans in the game.

If the Norm Smith ‘has to’ go to the winners it should have gone to Tom Boyd. JJ was great but butchered the ball regularly.

Speaking of JJ. Remember his over turned goal with 10 minutes remaining that went the swans way? If there was ever a chance to fix a match to the doggies it was this moment, however it went the swans way and they stayed in the game.

the game was only close thanks to 2 and a bit quarters of bullshit umpiring, without that Swans are up by 4-5 goals in the last.

Deep down dogs fans know it , had enough swans haters tell me it

See bolded, could have fooled me, cry more. Also somebody with a certain Tom Papley in their side can never accuse another player of ducking for frees.

Another bitter and twisted Swans fan being upset his team lost the gf.

His feelings hurt by the victors celebration.

Short memory considering the way they celebrated their drought breaking flag and the one sided build up.

It’s pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans fans have been and remain such gracious losers since 2016.
Disagree. There's a lot of bitterness for a game that was unintentionally favoured throughout by the AFL - but it's pot calling the kettle black if Swans fans can't acknowledge 2005 and even Tigers a bit in 2017. Difference being Crows imploded, Swans just ran out of legs, figuratively and physically literally (Hanners 😞)

Swans fans weren't bitter towards Dogs supporters until they started acting like they were king dingaling, better than sliced bread, and Sydney was lower than pond scum. Gracious in victory the Bulldogs were not.

See bolded, could have fooled me, cry more. Also somebody with a certain Tom Papley in their side can never accuse another player of ducking for frees.
So, Tony McLean never answers the phone mid tackle? Hunter never dives? Never said Papley doesn't lead - he used to do it quite a bit, the big difference is that Papley wins his own ball far more often than he yields his body for a free kick. Can't say that nearly enough for McLean, who's sole gimmick in football is far worse than anything Ginnivan does. At least the kid can play.

Boyd should have won 2016, Houli should have won 2017. Boyd was the difference in his marking and contests and his goals were huge. Very much cheated.

JJ was a stat padder in 2016 and did very little. Houli played the same role but was brilliant all day and he was instrumental in scores. Dusty popped up late and dominated after the game was already lost. Still played a great game, but Houli was great all day.

I was shocked when JJ won it, disappointed when Dusty won it.

Dusty was the best midfielder on the ground by a mile. Houli played a good flanker game but it was pretty uncontested.

So, Tony McLean never answers the phone mid tackle? Hunter never dives? Never said Papley doesn't lead - he used to do it quite a bit, the big difference is that Papley wins his own ball far more often than he yields his body for a free kick. Can't say that nearly enough for McLean, who's sole gimmick in football is far worse than anything Ginnivan does. At least the kid can play.
Good to see you are not bitter:cool:

Next thing you know they are saying the ball being 80m away is "in play" to downgrade a cheap hit to allow Barry Hall to play a Grand Final.
Or Andrew Dunkley deliberately gouging Hird's face to open up bleeding, to get him off with the blood rule, then being cleared to play in the GF because the AFL are so desparate for Sydney to win flags.

Disagree. There's a lot of bitterness for a game that was unintentionally favoured throughout by the AFL - but it's pot calling the kettle black if Swans fans can't acknowledge 2005 and even Tigers a bit in 2017. Difference being Crows imploded, Swans just ran out of legs, figuratively and physically literally (Hanners 😞)

Swans fans weren't bitter towards Dogs supporters until they started acting like they were king dingaling, better than sliced bread, and Sydney was lower than pond scum. Gracious in victory the Bulldogs were not.
Chicken and egg scenario.

A lot of the Dogs 'lack of grace' resulted from Swans fans complaining about umpires and claiming it was fixed. Talk about a lack of grace!

Swans fans need a bit of perspective - after all, Barry got off punching McGuire in the guts. Regulation suspension at that time. Was that 'fixed' too?
Plenty of cynicism back then suggesting the AFL wanted a Swans flag and needed to get Barry off. Even Baz himself admitted he should have been suspended.

Sometimes the breaks go your way, sometimes they don't.

Last edited:
Neat. Wish they'd rig Melbourne a premiership too.
post #3 7/21

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

As an AFL fan I'd love to be able to look back on it with some positivity, but the immediate and enduring experience with fans since the game has been anything but. So yeah, * em. Hope they lose by 100 this weekend.
That's more like it!

It is not a coincidence a very large amount of neutral supporters think this game was terribly umpired.

Swans were absolutely robbed and the standard of umpiring for a professional league is pathetic. Bad umpires decide close games every year - but this Grand Final was about as blatant as it gets and a huge disadvantage to the Swans.

This is ON TOP of having to play the Dogs in their home state despite finishing on top of the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back