Mega Thread The 2017 'Buckley's Chances' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saintly, you are obviously referring to Premierships. At this stage I would be happy to see improvement in our ladder position. Something we havent shown in the past 4 years.
So would I. We have stagnated and stagnated hard.

Bob Rose had about ten years - he is our great tragic coach. Nobody calls him a great coach. Great shame.
Mick had 12 years for one flag. Yes got to grand finals but only 1 flag.
Leigh ten years or so, 1 flag.
Disgraceful what we did to Tom Hafey.
We don't win flags too often so not sure it's the coaches, their time frames.
That's just my view.

Bob Rose - bit under 10 years over 2 stints - brought immediate improvement in '64 (8th to 2nd on ladder). Freakin unlucky not to bag a flag - probably would have if Galbally had not been replaced / thrown out / overturned by Sherrin as president.

Tom Hafey - also brought immediate improvement - we all remember...

Mick, Leigh, Tom all won (ie coached) more than one flag at other Clubs - not so at Cwood....

"We don't win flags too often" - and when we do in last few decades ('58, '90, '10) - we set about destroying ourselves - why is that?

People need to stop purporting that others want Buckley removed because we haven't won a flag in his time.

Hogwash.

It's the 4 consecutive seasons of no finals and 6 years of decline that is the problem.

The results speak for themselves and it's a bit rich that we may go down the path of holding everyone bar the senior coach responsible.

Interesting point.

I've never understood why coaches just don't get one year rolling contracts anyway.

Even if you give them long years if they want to go they just go anyway.

All you doing is having s higher payout than needed if you want to chop the coach
Carlton have Bolton on a one year rolling contract.

Don't know if it's been renewed for 2018 yet but assuming they have done that already.

Just don't know if that would work with us, for any coach. We are a weird club, different to anyone else. The media attention we get is always at a hysterical level so to allow our senior coach to have no contract at all for the following year is always frought with danger.

If we did reappoint Bucks though 2 years is about right, it allows 2018 to be a stress free year of sorts, then 2019 to be the year he is really tested, for the third time anyway (in regards to coming out of contract).

Carlton have Bolton on a one year rolling contract.

Don't know if it's been renewed for 2018 yet but assuming they have done that already.

Just don't know if that would work with us, for any coach. We are a weird club, different to anyone else. The media attention we get is always at a hysterical level so to allow our senior coach to have no contract at all for the following year is always frought with danger.

If we did reappoint Bucks though 2 years is about right, it allows 2018 to be a stress free year of sorts, then 2019 to be the year he is really tested, for the third time anyway (in regards to coming out of contract).

If we don't make finals in 2018 no way does he see 2019 as coach.

Even Ed must have a breaking point when it comes to Bucks.

If we don't make finals in 2018 no way does he see 2019 as coach.

Even Ed must have a breaking point when it comes to Bucks.

lol_spider-man.gif

That doesn't make any sense?

Buckley saying late in 2016 that for him to be coaching Collingwood post 2017, ie get a contract extension, that finals would be the obvious measuring stick was just him stating the truth.

If we made finals in 2017, he would have had his contract extended. Now that we missed, he remains a big chance to have his coaching career at Collingwood ended...as he said.

How people have somehow came to the conclusion that he would walk away or quit if we didn't make finals is baffling.

How you somehow think it shows whether he is a good man or not is even more puzzling.

He basically said failing in 2017 was a sackable offence. He failed and and in his heart knows he doesnt deserve to be renewed. Given the relationship between him and the president a third party would see it as being a difficult decision for the prez so the honourable thing to do would be to step down and avoid all the inuendos that goes with it.

As many stated earlier he will not step down on his own. Its Buckley first and the club 2nd. Would a good man make the decision easier for the club? The whole situation is beyond a joke.

Ask yourself the question if his name wasnt Nathan Buckley do you think the decision will be an easier one to make?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. From memory, they were the ones who reported that McGuire met with Clarkson shortly after the second Hawthorn game, when in reality McGuire was on the other side of the world at that same time...
Stop ruining my dreams you filthy bat!

He basically said failing in 2017 was a sackable offence.
He didn't exactly say that.....but yes that was the premise of what he said.

He failed and and in his heart knows he doesnt deserve to be renewed.
The bolded is correct, if finals was the non-negotiable performance benchmark.

I assume you garnered the rest from Nathan himself in a deep and meaningful one on one chat that you had with him over a few glasses of red....how else would you know what his heart knows!

Given the relationship between him and the president a third party would see it as being a difficult decision for the prez so the honourable thing to do would be to step down and avoid all the inuendos that goes with it.
Well I guess seeing as you know what Nathan's heart knows, that you can jump to that scenario.

As many stated earlier he will not step down on his own. Its Buckley first and the club 2nd. Would a good man make the decision easier for the club? The whole situation is beyond a joke.

Your premise is that in his heart Nathan Buckley knows he is a poor senior coach, but Eddie is too close to Nathan to sack him and may still actually be backing him. So Nathan, despite personally knowing he can't coach, will take advantage of that relationship and put his own senior coaching career (the one that he knows is a failed one) ahead of the success of Collingwood because he is all about N.Buckley.

That is nonsense.

I reckon Buckley thinks he can still offer plenty in the role of Collingwood coach, and that makes more sense in regards to where we currently find ourselves....but hey you know what his heart knows

No decision until after finals.
The Age is reporting that Walsh's review is being presented to the board today, so I doubt that they'll wait another month and a half to make decisions or implement any recommendations he makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back