List Mgmt. The 2020 Trade and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we trade out Brayshaw and have Petracca split midfield time forward like Dusty then no we don't have that area covered. We really need mids who want to receive the second possession not just the first
This. Williams offers a different type of mid to what we've got. More of a receiver which would complement Oliver/Viney/Brayshaw.

If we trade out Brayshaw and have Petracca split midfield time forward like Dusty then no we don't have that area covered. We really need mids who want to receive the second possession not just the first

Okay, but you ultimately have to give something to get something without a strong draft hand this year.

I still think the Dees would be good in the guts with Oliver & Viney, and could pick up a back up grunt cheaply.

It's the dashing rebounders who now have high value in this age of turnover footy.

Okay, but you ultimately have to give something to get something without a strong draft hand this year.

I still think the Dees would be good in the guts with Oliver & Viney, and could pick up a back up grunt cheaply.

It's the dashing rebounders who now have high value in this age of turnover footy.
Yet Essendon have two of the best ones and they ******* suck as a team. There isn't 'one type of player' that gets you a premiership. Our midfield isn't complete by a long stretch. Would I trade Brayshaw for Saad? Yeah, but mostly because we don't need Brayshaw because we have 17 others like him

Interesting in Tom Morris' live twitter chat today he says the dees are openly talking to managers and clubs about wanting speed and skills. Not linking us to Saad but he says Saad is exactly the type of player they want. Also says Viney is just about a certainty to stay, Geelong a lot more confident on getting Crouch than Viney.

As much as I have been critical of how one dimensional Viney is (and in fact how one dimensional our whole midfield is) I would still be devastated if he left.

It would be cutting the heart and soul out of the club. Well, whatever little heart and soul we have left anyway.
Yeah I do think he can really set the tone for the side and bust his guts when we need it.

Interesting in Tom Morris' live twitter chat today he says the dees are openly talking to managers and clubs about wanting speed and skills. Not linking us to Saad but he says Saad is exactly the type of player they want. Also says Viney is just about a certainty to stay, Geelong a lot more confident on getting Crouch than Viney.
Goddamit I hate footy media in this country, I'm sure we have been cause no doubt heaps of clubs are looking to get rid of players with 'speed and skill' and trade them for meat and potato mids or busted key forwards

As much as I have been critical of how one dimensional Viney is (and in fact how one dimensional our whole midfield is) I would still be devastated if he left.

It would be cutting the heart and soul out of the club. Well, whatever little heart and soul we have left anyway.
Come on dude, really? Viney really doesn't seem that popular with the other players judging by social media, which to be fair is a mediocre way to judge things.

Come on dude, really? Viney really doesn't seem that popular with the other players judging by social media, which to be fair is a mediocre way to judge things.
I thought it was pretty well known he's a bit of a nerd and not very popular in the playing group. Tbh I wouldn't be devastated if he left. He's gonna play great games here and there and he's a real trier but we need to shake things up a bit especially in the middle. Oliver can pick up the slack without him and that's with Brayshaw and Harmes on the sidelines

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was pretty well known he's a bit of a nerd and not very popular in the playing group. Tbh I wouldn't be devastated if he left. He's gonna play great games here and there and he's a real trier but we need to shake things up a bit especially in the middle. Oliver can pick up the slack without him and that's with Brayshaw and Harmes on the sidelines
If you are happy to let him go then make sure you never complain about players not giving 100%

Viney has his flaws but * me players with his hardness and commitment to give 100% at every contest are a rarity.

I would be very hesitant of letting him move on

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Has he actually got anything right in years?

Short memory? I have solid GWS related mail but some people tend to forget that because it doesn’t involve the dees or Angus Brayshaw being traded.

Go back through my posts and you’ll see some like McKenna, O’Rourke, Jacksch, plowman etc. but I couldn’t be ****ed going back.

If you are happy to let him go then make sure you never complain about players not giving 100%

Viney has his flaws but fu** me players with his hardness and commitment to give 100% at every contest are a rarity.

I would be very hesitant of letting him move on

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Josh Wagner, Nathan Jones, Aiden Riley etc all give 100%. End of the day I want someone to leave out of that midfield group because I wanna see some s**t change in that mix.

Josh Wagner, Nathan Jones, Aiden Riley etc all give 100%. End of the day I want someone to leave out of that midfield group because I wanna see some sh*t change in that mix.

Gotta say, I don't think one of Viney/Brayshaw needs to leave - we just need another genuine winger and probably another genuine running HBF to compliment our guys.

Currently we've had Jones, VDB, Melk rotating through the wing and none are modern running wingers.

You get another Langdon (ie. Tom Phillips, Williams, Atkins or even give Baker more time) and our balance looks a lot better.

Gotta say, I don't think one of Viney/Brayshaw needs to leave - we just need another genuine winger and probably another genuine running HBF to compliment our guys.

Currently we've had Jones, VDB, Melk rotating through the wing and none are modern running wingers.

You get another Langdon (ie. Tom Phillips, Williams, Atkins or even give Baker more time) and our balance looks a lot better.
Easiest way to get a good wingman is to find some trade currency.

I like Viney as much as the next man, but he touched the ball 14 times last night and had 3 tackles. I just don’t see it when it comes to the whole ‘wow what a tryer thing’. I’d be happy to see him head to the Cats or Port, net us a decent pick, and go have another 100-150 good games.

Easiest way to get a good wingman is to find some trade currency.

I like Viney as much as the next man, but he touched the ball 14 times last night and had 3 tackles. I just don’t see it when it comes to the whole ‘wow what a tryer thing’. I’d be happy to see him head to the Cats or Port, net us a decent pick, and go have another 100-150 good games.

Not sure I'm with you there, we need to keep our good players and Viney (Brayshaw too) is one of them without a doubt.

I think we've got enough currency at the moment to get a winger and not trade one of our gun players, Langdon cost a 2nd round pick and has outperformed the 'premier' winger traded last year in Brad Hill.

Not to mention there are some wing options available as RFA/UFA so it wouldn't make sense to trade out a player until we know where we stand.

And in all honesty, we're better off replacing someone like Viney (in terms of talent) with draft picks.

Not sure I'm with you there, we need to keep our good players and Viney (Brayshaw too) is one of them without a doubt.

I think we've got enough currency at the moment to get a winger and not trade one of our gun players, Langdon cost a 2nd round pick and has outperformed the 'premier' winger traded last year in Brad Hill.

Not to mention there are some wing options available as RFA/UFA so it wouldn't make sense to trade out a player until we know where we stand.

And in all honesty, we're better off replacing someone like Viney (in terms of talent) with draft picks.
I'd agree if we had more young talent, but right now its really just last years batch of draftees and then you're going back tom players 5-6 years in the system. The Frost trade was unpopular at the time but has proven to be a good way to balance the backline and get ourselves an early 20s pick. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a good player for structure.I just don't think you can squeeze five 23~ year old inside mids into a team that has clear weaknesses elsewhere. Sometimes you have a glut of players in one position and you have to sacrifice one to fill a hole elsewhere in the side.

I'd probably clear off Harmes first for a pick in the last 20s, but he's signed for five years so that won't happen. Gus is 2022 and Viney OOC this year. Viney would net us, at worst, an end of first round pick. At best, maybe a pick after our traded first rounder.

Spend that pick on a player with real run like Langon via trade or Rivers via the draft, or another Pickett type, or a half forward who can kick - and we're closer to a flag than we are with Viney in the side.

There’s no way we’ll hold onto our 2021 first rounder (rightly or wrongly). Club will be aggressive

Would be a disaster.

Hit free agency hard, keep going to the draft to top up our talent.

Serious cracks in the GWS dam wall this morning.

You won’t hear this publicly, but huge pressure mounting on Leon Cameron. GWS board (and quietly the AFL too) that Giants won’t win a flag with an original player in their list. Players who were previously untouchable may be on the table. One of Whitfield/Kelly could go. Jeremy Cameron their priority.

Waiting on confirmation on some details about the Viney sitcho. Apparently was asked to take a lower previous deal involving captaincy which he no longer has.

Here’s some of the talk that’s being floated.

2021 1st more likely to go than stay.
Crows coming hard for Sparrow.
Viney expected to stay but will cost the club more cash than allowed for.
Gunston and I. Smith being looked at.
Finlayson discussed.
Sydney & Freo asking about AVB (he’s not keen).
Preuss doesn’t want to leave but an offer might be too good to refuse. Offers as high as a late first and early second been discussed.
No interest in Brayshaw
Jones won’t be pushed but knows a rookie is all that will be offered.
KK won’t be paid out but is likely finished (pending a few more tests after his current spell)

The club is in talks with Bennell. Sounds like there is discussion around locking him in longer for less. Similar to Brayshaw a few years with his head. Do you take more years for less or less for more? Either way he’ll be sticking around.

Polec is the second most hated player in AFL behind Cotchin and no noise on this yet (don’t expect there to be).

Keep in mind that a lot of trades will sound better than reality. Given how compromised this draft will be, the first round could go 25-28, second round 50 etc.

Fair call, I was really just (falsely probably) drawing a parallel between his individual efforts/attitude on field and the importance that has for the surrounding playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back