The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce is ******* s**t now and has been for ages. He just repeats the name of the player over and over again, or tries to fit in as many references to America as he possibly can without taking a breathe.

Don't get me wrong, I want excitement in the box, I want a bit of personality but I just want competent, quality commentators who talk about the flow of the game, and the stats in relation to where it is at that point in time. I want a moment by moment call, I don't want argy bargy in the box, I don't want to hear the same commentator frothing over their obviously favourite player to the point where it causes people to actually hate the player (re Cyril)

I want a totally unbiased call that hasn't been written to fit a narrative by some ******* channel 7 screen writer and a a couple of crabs from the HUN

I want half a dozen Huddos if I'm being honest

I watched the game listening to the AFL Nation radio broadcast (Huddo, Whateley etc) & they did a very good job. The options are out there, people dont need to be putting up with this nonsense from CH7 week after week.

Bruce is terrible isn't he? Don't you think?

The constant questions don't usually grate me as much as others, when it's probably to prompt the blockhead ex-player next to him that it's time to say something.

But it's got to the point where he's saying things like "That's unusual from Lambert, he made the 40 man AA squad, didn't he?"

Why on earth should that be posed as a question? If he didn't know, he wouldn't bring it up.

Rewatching the game now, it’s horrendous. Cometti was really the only one who made the Friday coverage bearable.

BT is very often wrong in the player he’s calling or what’s actually happening in the game (he can’t seem to tell when a shot at goal is or is not going in) and Bruce just gets fixated on one point for the whole game. His frothing over Mason Cox last night was embarrassing.

Unfortunately though we don’t have any other options, and if Ch 7 still think they’re doing a great job, they keep giving them new contracts. It’d be nice to see Jason Morris brought into the Friday or Saturday team.

The game itself exists on Ch 7 for no other reason than as a vehicle to promote their on-air 'talent'. Those pricks at Ch 7 have developed characters within the commentary team, as though they are some sort of Marvel superheroes - they treat the commentators as the stars of the show (instead of the actual players) and they cover the game like it is one of their piece of s**t reality TV shows. I hate those bastards for rendering the game we all love as unwatchable on TV.

The sooner those assholes lose the footy rights, the better. If City Hall gave half a toss about the game they are actually supposed to nurture and respect, they would remove Ch 7 and replace them next negotiation with a consortium of networks who actually show due respect to coverage of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somewhere around 12 mins to go last quarter pies v tuggers "its been a long time since we've seen a player kick a ball in the air" ?!?!? I'd get the exact time if the afl app wasn't such a useless turd. Wasn't Bruce but ffs Bruce can you please learn the players names?

Jesus Christ can these guys tug themselves over the Demons any harder? Already unwatchable.

Mute!

Bruce is unbearable. By any measuring stick you could think of, he's just awful.

Like others have said, he does seem like a really decent human being and he clearly loves the game... but his ecstatic moaning and groaning, his banal repetitive lines and his bizarre rhetorical questions to himself are insufferable. To say nothing of some of his colleagues.

Listening to his jizzing over Mason Cox last night must have been a bloody nightmare for Tigers supporters.

Please do your lap of honour and retire, Bruce.

Bruce is unbearable. By any measuring stick you could think of, he's just awful.

Like others have said, he does seem like a really decent human being and he clearly loves the game... but his ecstatic moaning and groaning, his banal repetitive lines and his bizarre rhetorical questions to himself are insufferable. To say nothing of some of his colleagues.

Listening to his jizzing over Mason Cox last night must have been a bloody nightmare for Tigers supporters.

Please do your lap of honour and retire, Bruce.
Chanel 7 should try and get Steve Qauterman to do Friday nights with Brayshaw or Hamish in 2019 if Bruce pulls the pin

They are not commentating, they are trying to manufacture a story.
It’s total BS.
exactly this. Luke Darcy is the absolute worst for this. Hamish McClachlan also terrible, but slightly better now.

Jesus Christ can these guys tug themselves over the Demons any harder? Already unwatchable.

Mute!
They were bad last night, just all around bad, but today I was going for WCE (and will next week) and they were fine. Have WCE supporters got used to everything going their way because of their one-sided home crowds?

They were bad last night, just all around bad, but today I was going for WCE (and will next week) and they were fine. Have WCE supporters got used to everything going their way because of their one-sided home crowds?
They were horrid in them Eagles vs Collingwood game two weeks ago. They weren't too bad tjbut a week but I think that's solely down to how the Eagles came out of the box; simply no chance to manufacture a Melbourne narrative.

Complaining about the commentary isn't even a case of 'things we're better in my day'. Watch the Premier League coverage on SBS and things are still better today. It's refreshing seeing commentators excited by the game and not what story they can tell. AFL is exciting enough without trying to make s**t up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back