The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

BTs fellating of the crowd every week
Bruce’s fellating of any hot player/team at the time
Ling adding nothing to the coverage whatsoever

It’s a disaster.

In no other sport the world over is there such emphasis on the crowd size by the commentary. BT mentions it 10 times a match.

The VFL GF commentary is excellent. This is where it needs to get to on Channel 7.

Who do they have on?

I just hope they all have nicknames, clear bias towards certain teams, humourous catch phrases and are on a first name or nickname basis with the majority of players. That’s what it takes to call a game.

The VFL GF commentary is excellent. This is where it needs to get to on Channel 7.
WAFL GF has Readings, Bell and Cometti. Its an order of magnitude more professional than the AFL muppet parade.

Bell, Pavlich, Bartel and Riewoldt - that should be the benchmark for ex-players, guys that are educated with the intelligence to speak their own minds.

Not mindless drones that get dragged into the Ch7 moron machine like Darcy and Ling.

Pav is shocking. Can hardly string 3 coherent words together.

Listening to him on 9 nightly news is a grating experience on the ears.

Bell is brilliant. Now on ABC Perth radio and killing it after starting out at 6PR.

Very articulate guy.

Last edited:
Bell, Pavlich, Bartel and Riewoldt - that should be the benchmark for ex-players, guys that are educated with the intelligence to speak their own minds.

Not mindless drones that get dragged into the Ch7 moron machine like Darcy and Ling.
Or Douglas Reynholm.

Yes I agree with you. Riewoldt and Bartel don’t have that blokey ‘I am a dick’ personality. They have genuine insight into the game and completely understand what’s happening. Bell is great also.

That's a nice lineup except for Eddie. Mad Collingwood president commentating on Collingwood games - not good. He tries to sound like he's not barracking and like he's interested in the opposition, but he's very transparent - it's so clear he's on the edge of his seat the whole time and wants to chuck a rant like he does when he's at the game. We need more neutrality than he can give. If he wasn't allowed to commentate on his own team, that'd be ok.
I haven’t heard Eddie commentate a Collingwood game in ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t heard Eddie commentate a Collingwood game in ages.
Yeah, but we're talking about him being part of a TV commentary team. The TV callers always have regular nights - so if Eddie does Friday or Saturday nights, and Collingwood is playing, he's going to be calling Collingwood. And yes, he was pretty shocking when he did Collingwood games.

Disagree wholeheartedly. He’s the only pro left in a cesspool of blokey injokes and innuendo. And the homoerotic call is a stretch. BT by far worse with all his “package” and “horse” calls.

Remember the Cyril "He'll caress it down someones throat" call? Absolutely cringeworthy. His constant ejac over Cyril was a massive contributing factor to the whole 'Cyril is overrated' phenomenon. He's horrendous.

I’m old. I believe strongly that the art of football commentating has been highjacked to such an extent that they don’t have the capacity to correct it. No one actually commentates any more. They just talk crap and basically it’s all ego driven. Dennis was so far above the rest.

We need a total overhaul with fresh, young blood brought in. No boys club, no in jokes, just good diction, a strong voice and intelligent description of a game that has so many variables worth describing. Rant over

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What was that crap?

Bruce interviewing Ablett: “you’ve now polled in two more games for Geelong than GWS. That must make you happy”

FU Gold Coast Suns.

To his credit Ablett kind of waved the comment off as the awkward gibberish it was.

And don’t get me started on the “Retiring Players” bs. FFS, my 8 year old asked if all these players had died. Then they completely left off Matt Rosa’s retirement.

FU Gold Coast and West Coast player.

What complete joke of a media organisation they are.

What was that crap?

Bruce interviewing Ablett: “you’ve now polled in two more games for Geelong than GWS. That must make you happy”

FU Gold Coast Suns.

To his credit Ablett kind of waved the comment off as the awkward gibberish it was.

And don’t get me started on the “Retiring Players” bs. FFS, my 8 year old asked if all these players had died. Then they completely left off Matt Rosa’s retirement.

FU Gold Coast and West Coast player.

What complete joke of a media organisation they are.
Good lord, a terrible cover of My Hero while names like Lee Spurr and Jack Redpath float across the screen :drunk:

Send them the video of Clarko going to sleep.

Tell them this is how we all feel about Brownlow night.
Absolute farce.

I watched Seinfeld and flicked over occasionally, 90% of the time it was an ad or an interview.

You know what? Ch 7 are ******* useless at sports coverage altogether. The same production, the same dumb ideas, the same crap backstories, the same look down then look up at the camera shots, the same boring and or cringey "personalities" with their cringeworthy shitty interviews or banter, across footy, horse racing, tennis, its all the same s**t... I shudder to think what they'll do to the cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back