The AFL's top 10 worst coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Primus has to be the worst I've seen. Port Adelaide before and after him were at least competitive. He had an okay squad to work with and left them with:
- First loss to GCS
- First established club to lose to GWS
- 138pt loss to Collingwood
- 165pt loss to Hawthorn
- Narrowly avoided the club's first spoon in 2011
- Attendances continually declining, left at a record low of around 13,000 shortly after he left

Neeld was terrible, but Melbourne were still a mess before and after he left.

Hird is the only other one you could make a case for, and only on the basis of their off-field issues damaging the club long after he'd gone.

If he gets sacked tomorrow in 2 years time he will all of a sudden be the greatest coach like Ratten that should never of been sacked.

Ratten has comments like this as well on here when he was a coach but all of a sudden he was a coaching messiah after we sacked him while still never being offered a role since.

I am sure if we sack Bolts the threads in support of him will be everywhere while the pot shots at the club will be abundant and the internet wants blood followed by hindsight internet heroism.
Fair to say one reason Ratts wasn't offered a role since he left Carlton was because his son was killed in a road accident. And then there's the fact he was happy helping Hawthorn to three premierships. Surprised you're not aware of this tbh.

FWIW Ratten's win/loss ratio at the Blues was 50%, he got the team into finals, and he was only sacked because Malthouse became available (and even then it wasn't an unanimous decision from the board).

I'm not saying Bolton is a s**t coach but there's absolutely nothing that points to him being good either. Ratten on the other hand at least showed something.

Primus, Neeld and Hird surely get added to the list. All of them royally screwed their clubs over. Bolton on a fast track to the list as well, however I'm sure Hardwick and Buckley were being considered by some to be on this list until their team started winning consistently. Carlton just look directionless though. So i can see Bolton's name being added by season end for sure..

You’re only as good as your list of players. Of course there is better coaches than others but give anyone a decent list and they will be deemed a reasonable coach.
Someone has to coach the crap lists, what comes with that is the inevitable sacking until a decent list comes along.

If he gets sacked tomorrow in 2 years time he will all of a sudden be the greatest coach like Ratten that should never of been sacked.

Ratten has comments like this as well on here when he was a coach but all of a sudden he was a coaching messiah after we sacked him while still never being offered a role since.

I am sure if we sack Bolts the threads in support of him will be everywhere while the pot shots at the club will be abundant and the internet wants blood followed by hindsight internet heroism.
I just don't think this is true.

Carlton were poor under Pagan but Ratten at least had them return to finals football and had a coaching record of 60 wins - 59 losses - 1 draw. That's genuinely quite solid. Certainly not fire-worthy.

Comparatively, there is no real argument towards Bolton actually being a good coach if he was fired right now.

Carlton's win/loss has decreased every season since he's been in charge, as has the teams percentage - and this is with some extremely good players already on the list: Murphy, Cripps, Simpson, Curnow, Thomas, Docherty, Kreuzer as well as Gibbs until 2018 - and that's not even mentioning the talent that has walked through the door since like Curnow, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy, McKay, McGovern, Walsh, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Fisher, Setterfield etc. To only win 3 of the last 36 games is poor regardless of circumstance.

He also doesn't have the excuses the other rebuilding clubs (basically just the QLD clubs) do in regards to player retention.

Even Melbourne during their worst period under Neeld has a personal worst run of 3 wins - 25 losses. Carltons current list is on 3 wins - 33 losses.

Bolton may very well be a good coach. But evidently the position Carlton's list is in right now is not the right fit for him. I think they would do well to move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wayne brittain - carlton 5th in 2001, last 2002 (first of many wooden spoons). not the best but not the worst.
was something of a forerunner to the assistant taking over from head coach, ala sydney-longmire.
didn't play afl/vfl, like our current coach.

Because he’s an inept game day coach that relies on systems that for the most part don’t work and refuses to make changes. The pre season camp wasn’t his decision and had little to do with him.

But how could anyone who coached a team to a minor premiership and into a grand final even though they lost, be in the mix at all?

Damien Drum the worst for Fremantle and that's at a club that could argue for at least 3 out of the top 10, and in only 25 years :thumbsu:.

13 wins - 44 loses, including 9 straight to start 2001.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...y-about-then-coach-damian-drum-ng-b881105868z

A bit of a beat up of a story but still, you'd be mad to put money on Fremantle to beat GWS this Saturday but I'm still hoping that's not the conversation Lyon is having with the players.

Last edited:
Buckenara seems to be polling well. Any old timers care to give us some colour in the story? W/L ratio isn’t too exciting

At least Ratten was able to get Carlton to finals and was even able to win one which to get a side like Carlton there would take a real good effort, Brendon Bolton hasn't even looked close to even making finals
Brett Ratten had, Judd, Murphy, fev and betts to name a few all very close to their peak.

What would bolts give for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back