Game Day THE BIN CHICKENS vs THE BIN BETTERS - Round 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a fair bit to like even though we butchered the ball. Pressure was good. Defence was stingy again and the intent was good. Hopefully the chemistry between the mids and forwards will improve as the season goes on. Hopefully this season goes a bit like 2012.

So we bemoaned the lack of skill in 2012 and we’re still doing it 7 years later and you see that as a positive?

It was just a s**t kick. He missed the target. 5m to his left and it’s all good.

It was a needlessly high risk kick given the stage of the game. Even if he'd made the kick, then what? The siren goes.

We had all the momentum, a senior player should have recognised that was a time to consolidate and take our lead into the break.

Gotta be happy with that. Looked like we were going to get thrashed. Fought back really well and there are signs the team is finding some synergy.
Best for me was seeing Hogan getting some swagger going and Wilson got some touch back too.
Cerra was superb. Matera's best game at the club. Brayshaw played his best game for the year and McCarthy was solid again.
Mundy is a legend.

So we bemoaned the lack of skill in 2012 and we’re still doing it 7 years later and you see that as a positive?

I just don’t get it.

The Eagles have another 3 gears in them.

We’re ******* kidding ourselves if they think that that was in anyway acceptable.

The only positives I take out of this were Mundy, Alex Pearce and Hogan looking like he’s getting something

The rest was absolute dross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if they don't though? We can coach whatever game-plan we want but if the players aren't improving their skills we aren't going anywhere. If that means Ross needs to change and actually teach skills, so be it.
Yep that’s the hard truth, either that or continue to only recruit skilled players.
Brayshaw kinda typifies us atm plenty to like and admire but unless he improves his kicking ,like our team improve our skills we ll only ever be mid table

Hughes was huge against Darling.
Hope we stay with this small/talls team. Eagles looked tall and with 2 rucks. Give Switter, Schulz and Matera another go. Once it clicks, it’ll be great. Just need a proper forward line coach. There’s no structure and there’s smalls in the F50s without Tabs/Hogan/Lobb anywhere. Need to watch West Coast’s and see how they function. Kennedy is rarely up the ground.

Gotta be happy with that. Looked like we were going to get thrashed. Fought back really well and there are signs the team is finding some synergy.
Best for me was seeing Hogan getting some swagger going and Wilson got some touch back too.
Cerra was superb. Matera's best game at the club. Brayshaw played his best game for the year and McCarthy was solid again.
Mundy is a legend.

I can’t see how we watched the same game.

It was a needlessly high risk kick given the stage of the game. Even if he'd made the kick, then what? The siren goes.

We had all the momentum, a senior player should have recognised that was a time to consolidate and take our lead into the break.

So what would you have had him do, go long down the line? He had a high percentage pass 15m away he just had to hit it so we could keep possession.

So what would you have had him do, go long down the line? He had a high percentage pass 15m away he just had to hit it so we could keep possession.

30 seconds to go? That goes down the line and gets destroyed

Am I the only one that actually thinks Brayshaw has actually been fine

He was really good other than his kicking.

His all-round game is great but I'm struggling to think of a time he's actually hit a purple jumper on the chest.

There's nothing wrong with his technique though so I think it will come in time. In general I thought the way he responded tonight was great given the media spotlight on him and the way the crowd were applauding his attacker for 'what he'd overcome'.

I’ve been making a concerted effort not to hang out in game day threads here unless I can’t watch the game because all the vitriol just makes me overlook the good things.

We’re playing a totally different team from last year with a new game plan - it will take time to gel. To get close enough to almost win this without Fyfe (arguably our best player) is a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 seconds to go? That goes down the line and gets destroyed

30 secs is still plenty of time especially if they happen to mark that long kick or it goes oof which is a high chance from him. Better to keep possession and we should’ve. s**t skills again.

No problem with that result. We were in it with 4 mins to go against the reigning premier. I definitely didn't pick that.
Got so much right. Made the well documented misses but personally don't see Ross as the problem when the players hit the post or miss completely.
Need some better synergy but I think we're looking ok.

What if they don't though? We can coach whatever game-plan we want but if the players aren't improving their skills we aren't going anywhere. If that means Ross needs to change and actually teach skills, so be it.
Team selection is important here to. One way to make the players prioritize their skills is to make them accountable for poor skills. In the long term it would not hurt the overall squad if, say, a Conca or Colyer or Tabs was made an example of.
I'd also be saying to Brayshaw: hey kid if you want to really make it, your kicking needs to improve. So lets see you spend a week or two at Peel to think about your kicking. He looks like the kind of player who will take that feedback to heart.
Team selection is just as much feedback as match review.

Does anyone worry already about next season? I mean lobb isn’t an elite ruckman and we have Darcy who is learning, sandi and mundy retire? Stephen Hill is probably close to done, and so many kids learning their craft, we should have chased Mumford even with his issues IMO

Team selection is important here to. One way to make the players prioritize their skills is to make them accountable for poor skills. In the long term it would not hurt the overall squad if, say, a Conca or Colyer or Tabs was made an example of.
I'd also be saying to Brayshaw: hey kid if you want to really make it, your kicking needs to improve. So lets see you spend a week or two at Peel to think about your kicking. He looks like the kind of player who will take that feedback to heart.
Team selection is just as much feedback as match review.

Issue is that we've got so many with questionable skills. And the guys in the 2nd (Crowden/Giro for example) aren't particularly skilled either. I'd rather we work to improve skills across the whole team rather than just put it on the individual.

I mean the fact that so many seem to struggle kinda points to it being more of a team issue anyway.

Schulz was the biggest disappointment for me. Would rather the run of Giro or even try North for his first game. Schulz looked slow, sloppy and unable to kick over a jam tin. People get into Balla, but he’s still way ahead of this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back