Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Here's hoping these two young guns go head to head this weekend.

Two of the best young bulls in the comp, the prototype for the modern day midfielder.

Will be the first of many battles these 2 have in future.

Bontempelli has been a bit disappointing this year in my opinion, he hasn't been terrible or anything but his performances certainly haven't matched the hype.

Describing Bontempelli as flashy is selling him short, really.

His tackling, defensive coverage and stoppage positioning are all top notch.

His superhuman goals and knack for waltzing out of traffic like time has stopped don't detract from his work on the inside.

Has been a bit out of touch lately due to a calf niggle, but is still so important to the side.

Don't complain that he hasn't met the 'hype' if that's all you've based your assertions on, because it's bullshit. Players never live up to it. Give it 12 months and Cripps will be another undeserving victim of that.

Bontempelli has been a bit disappointing this year in my opinion, he hasn't been terrible or anything but his performances certainly haven't matched the hype.

A disappointing year for a 2nd year player that's been getting tagged nearly every game?

WestCoast set the standard by giving scott selwood the job on Bont in the first round, he still beat him convincingly but it was always going to be a long year. He's done really well fighting through tags from Selwood, Vince, Weller, S.Thompson etc.

The question is now Cripps will start popping up on opposition analysis and will start getting tagged more, how will he cope? A few good games on debut no doubt, but it's not unusual for a player to fly under the oppositions radar early in their career, the real challenge begins after that.

Cripps got a hard tag last week and got an education. To his credit still had something like 20 touches and 7 clearances. Pretty sure Bont is also having to learn how to deal with a run with player.

Bont is a better player to watch and capable of anything. Cripps you can build a team around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would take either in my team
dream about having both in my team
love watching them both
hope neither are tagged
could this be the junior version of Fyfe vs Dangerfield?
love it! :thumbsu:

Will be suicide for Carlton if Cripps runs with Bontempelli, you need to tag him. You can't let Bontempelli have possessions because he's too damaging, he's left foot kills and he abuses it (avg 12.3 kicks to 6.7 handballs), whilst Cripps is a handballer (avg 7.1 kicks to 15.6 hb's). So whilst Cripps is a beast around contests the Dogs won't mind him racking up the possessions aslong as they stop the guys that he's handballing to kick it. Bontempelli is ranked 5th in the comp for inside 50's (5.4 per game, more than double Cripps's 2.4 per) while still being tagged so if Carlton can't stop that or atleast put pressure on him they might aswell not rock up on the day.

Love to agree but Bont is just slightly off touch at the moment, and Cripps is dominating.

Now that I think about it I'll back your judgement, Bont would smash him:)

The Bont is being talked up a lot but the reality is that Cripps is the better player at the moment. By a long way I might add. Maybe different next year though.

Open your other one. You might see differing colours.
If you want to accuse me of bias, it might be worth acknowledging your own simple-mindedness and comically short attention span.

But that is a characteristic of most footy fans, so all is forgiven.

I'm a huge Cripps fan. Possibly my favourite non-Bulldog, a massive talent and lifts his whole team. And he's what, 19?

That said, suggesting he's a long way ahead of the Bont is just ludicrous.

If you want to accuse me of bias, it might be worth acknowledging your own simple-mindedness and comically short attention span.

But that is a characteristic of most footy fans, so all is forgiven.

I'm a huge Cripps fan. Possibly my favourite non-Bulldog, a massive talent and lifts his whole team. And he's what, 19?

That said, suggesting he's a long way ahead of the Bont is just ludicrous.
Damnit, THB. This was all you needed.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back