Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a lot of Dean Bailey in Goodwin.
- loved by the players
- excellent people skills
- big on empowering the players
- highly attacking gamelan
- questionable defence

I really have no opinion of how to rate Goodwin. Just prepared to wait and see with an open mind I guess.

- loved by the players
- questionable defence

I really have no opinion of how to rate Goodwin. Just prepared to wait and see with an open mind I guess.

Hopefully that's what Roos has introduced him to - defence. I have no doubt that Goodwin is great at the attacking side - given the way he played his own football. It could be that this handover was a stroke of genius: young coach forced to watch another side of football that they aren't naturally inclined towards.

Hopefully that's what Roos has introduced him to - defence. I have no doubt that Goodwin is great at the attacking side - given the way he played his own football. It could be that this handover was a stroke of genius: young coach forced to watch another side of football that they aren't naturally inclined towards.

One of the big selling points when he was announced as the heir to Roos thrown was that he shared similar principles as Roos with regard to defence. I hope this becomes more clear next year.

Funnily enough, with the exception of the Geelong game our defense cleaned up a lot as the year went by. Although you can't polish a turd like Wagner.

- loved by the players
- questionable defence

I've thought the same too, but i can already tell he's big one thing that Bailey wasn't so much. Contested ball

Bump. It all begins on Saturday.

It's weird when a player you only had an inkling of as a kid become one of the most important people at your club. Same with Roos.
Yep. Never in my wildest dreams as a kid would I have imagined Roos becoming an MFC man

You young pups have no idea how good goody was. Champion player that was massively underrated due to the teammates he had.
Roos was also an exceptional player but in an absolutely hopeless side that he remained loyal to for as long as he possibly could. Those dreadful Fitzroy years must've contributed to his decision to help the struggling Dees, megabucks aside. The footy club is lucky to have been graced by the presence of both of them.

You young pups have no idea how good goody was. Champion player that was massively underrated due to the teammates he had.
Roos was also an exceptional player but in an absolutely hopeless side that he remained loyal to for as long as he possibly could. Those dreadful Fitzroy years must've contributed to his decision to help the struggling Dees, megabucks aside. The footy club is lucky to have been graced by the presence of both of them.

Was certainly a champion player. Hopefully becomes a champion coach as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty happy with the side he's picked round one. Reckon he has gone for a mobile line up which will be important. I think Hannam and Smith will both be good ins as they both compete hard and are athletic. I'm pleased Dom hasn't been picked too, he needs some games to shake off the rust.
Only questionable one is Weid on my book but there's not many alternatives.

I remember watching Roos playing for Victoria when I was a kid and he looked like he was a class above. Reckon he'll always be in my best team of players I've seen.

I remember watching Roos playing for Victoria when I was a kid and he looked like he was a class above. Reckon he'll always be in my best team of players I've seen.
He's more than just a great individual player too. His ability to marshal a defence for Sydney is about as good onfield leadership as you will see. Pisses on Rance in that department for example. I'm not the least surprised Roos became a successful coach.

Something I remember about him was how physically dominant he was in probably the toughest period the game has ever seen. And the most impressive thing is that he was a squeaky clean player. Tough without being dirty, a sign of true courage. Another player that stood out for the same reason was SOS. To be able to physically assert yourself in those days without aiming for the opposition's head in an environment of snipers attempting to knock you out off play was impressive to watch.

I'm pretty happy with the side he's picked round one. Reckon he has gone for a mobile line up which will be important. I think Hannam and Smith will both be good ins as they both compete hard and are athletic. I'm pleased Dom hasn't been picked too, he needs some games to shake off the rust.
Only questionable one is Weid on my book but there's not many alternatives.

I'm glad we left Tyson out also, there was 3-4 times last year Roos publicly stated he made mistakes selecting underdone players......picking gus last year for round 2 and it ruined his season

He was an excellent player, Goodwin, but he was never a generational type.

Goody coming up on triple M with none other than Paul Roos. Also Jay Clark (has a soft spot for the Dees) and the duck, who's good mates with goody.

Goody coming up on triple M with none other than Paul Roos. Also Jay Clark (has a soft spot for the Dees) and the duck, who's good mates with goody.
Fired it up now, this'll be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back