Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember that day down at the Cattery when Hoges was a late out and we had Jake Spencer at FF and potentially Dawes at CHF?

Then Gawn went ballistic and we somehow won it

Something equally stupid will probably happen with Preuss kicking 5 or something

This stupid club

This is exactly the game we ******* win aswell. Completely written off, all the supporters have given up. Other clubs feeling sorry for us. Almost certain we win this then lose by 10 goals to the hawks

Naaaa, we'll get our pants pulled down big time I reckon mate. Like a 10 goal loss, tigers going into preservation mode off a short week the only thing stopping it being 100 points.

You can't correct as many issues as we have in 4 days going up against quality opposition.

2019 just isn't our year. Best we can hope for is a few good wins to keep morale and support from absolutely bottoming out, hoping the top end of the draft is as good as it was last year and starting R1 2020 with a fit Lever and May. I've given up on us doing anything with Goody at the helm this year.

Naaaa, we'll get our pants pulled down big time I reckon mate. Like a 10 goal loss, tigers going into preservation mode off a short week the only thing stopping it being 100 points.

You can't correct as many issues as we have in 4 days going up against quality opposition.

Only way we're any chance is if both teams are dealing with the fatigue of a 4 day break. Skills will be down and we can drag Richmond down to our level.

Honestly I'll take a close loss at this stage, that at least goes into the fourth quarter. Just want to go to the footy and actually enjoy myself for once this year watching a contest.

Honestly I'll take a close loss at this stage, that at least goes into the fourth quarter. Just want to go to the footy and actually enjoy myself for once this year watching a contest.
Yeah, I'm about the same. A full 4 qrt effort, where there is at least signs that we're going some way to fixing the gaping holes in our game will be enough for me.

But if we keep bombing long to a packed forward line with 10 players jumping for every mark, losing the possession as soon as the pill hits the deck and it zipping to the other end for a Tigers goal with our midfielders half heartedly giving something that mildly resembles chase of their opponents, roll out the tanks so we can bring another contested beast in with an early pick, and we can start the shitshow all over again.

Re. Record at the G.
We’ve won 13/28 under his tenure which is already not good enough. 3 wins against Carlton. 1 against Gold Coast. 1 against the Lions when they were s**t.

Against our co-tenants we are: 0/2 against Richmond, 1/3 against Collingwood and 1/3 against Hawthorn.

Well coached sides don’t have ‘home ground’ scrawled on a list of fundamental weaknesses.
Furthermore, under Roos our record at the G was 15/37. Not pretty but in 14 we were barely AFL standard. 15 we were s**t and 16 we were middling.

Against the co-tenants we went 3-0 against Richmond, 3-2 against Collingwood & 1-3 against Hawthorn.

The way we defend space at the G is a ******* indictment on Goodwin’s coaching.

Furthermore, under Roos our record at the G was 15/37. Not pretty but in 14 we were barely AFL standard. 15 we were s**t and 16 we were middling.

Against the co-tenants we went 3-0 against Richmond, 3-2 against Collingwood & 1-3 against Hawthorn.

The way we defend space at the G is a ******* indictment on Goodwin’s coaching.
Yep. We had the better of Richmond easily between 2014 and 2016 because Gawn dominated and our mids (Viney, Tyson, Oliver) thrashed them in contested ball. Even in 2017 without Gawn we had their measure for three and a half quarters with Watts in the ruck. 2018 when we looked hopeless at the start of the year against Hawthorn and Richmond even with Gawn back we were playing exactly the same way we have been this year. I expect it'll be even worse tomorrow. How has Goody conceded that massive advantage we had against the Tigers in such a short space of time? Since we beat Collingwood on QB in 2017 we've just been bullied by certain coaches repeatedly.

Really interesting chat with a champion data guy re the Dees today. Says a lot of teams are now defending first with the footy - playing slower when they have the ball so they can set to their defensive structures in case they turn the ball over. We on the other hand are the no.1 team for playing on after a mark and run in waves when we attack but have no defensive structures in place behind the ball.

So it’s a good weapon if we dominate contested footy but this year we’ve also struggled there so we haven’t - or won’t - adapt. Other teams are defending even when they have the ball, playing slower and chipping it around so they have time to set up. But not us!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really interesting chat with a champion data guy re the Dees today. Says a lot of teams are now defending first with the footy - playing slower when they have the ball so they can set to their defensive structures in case they turn the ball over. We on the other hand are the no.1 team for playing on after a mark and run in waves when we attack but have no defensive structures in place behind the ball.

So it’s a good weapon if we dominate contested footy but this year we’ve also struggled there so we haven’t - or won’t - adapt. Other teams are defending even when they have the ball, playing slower and chipping it around so they have time to set up. But not us!

Great insight and bang on the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the last 3 years i've always said we play our best footy when we control the game ball foot, and the reason this is is because it allows us time to defend. It was discussed on another thread about the skill level of AFL these days, and Taylor Adams spoke about defending with ball in hand, slowing the game down to set up. Whereas we just go bull at a gate which allows the opposition more time and space to win and control the ball. Not saying we copy WCE but watch them play and see how often the switch and reswitch the ball, kick and mark. I can't remember the last time we had 6-8 consecutive marks across half back.

The reason we played so well in the EF and SF, is we controlled the ball and the tempo of the game and it allowed us to defend the space a lot better.

Mate I've got serious coin on us losing by 10 goals that's why I'm certain we win.

I forget which Collingwood game I was watching, but I remember thinking that it looked like they were playing for a stoppage from the center bounce and then setting up in their preferred manner around the ground.

Thank you for your sacrifice. Might I recommend a half time hedge if we are looking scrappy and staying in it.

Yeah the Melbourne -11.5 line is like $4 Or something and I think I saw that us -30 was like $10. If we are gonna win I reckon it's by a few goals

Nah that's cool not like me and blitznu didn't already come to that realization without champion data a few pages back...
  1. Prove it!
  2. The ability to construct a coherent post might’ve made TheDr stand out from the crowd.
  3. If I overlooked you for recognition, I’m sorry, princess
:p

1. Prove it!
  2. The ability to construct a coherent post might’ve made TheDr stand out from the crowd.
  3. If I overlooked you for recognition, I’m sorry, princess
:p

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...uffled-5-changes.1216493/page-6#post-60501182
Yeah one thing I would say about North last year is even if they werent the best, they gave most teams a decent game. Same in 2017.
Adding the outside types has completely imbalanced them because those guys cheat forward and leave you exposed.
Yeah theyve added quicker players who cheat to a plodding midfield like ours. So we have lazy mids who just walk off they have mids who run forward.

Every team who were quicker running defensible won their game in round 5 besides north was really close though and essendons game plan is attacking heavy. Nearly every team who ran quicker in attack lost. We've lost defensively running stat every game bar which? Sydney ofcourse even lost the attacking stat for 1st time this year vs them.
Yeah there is a real noticeable trend now of teams conserving energy in attack so that they can defend. So the slow ball movement is so you can set up your defence first and then attack.
We on the other hand spend most of our energy trying to win stoppages and then explode forward.

Essendon are the exception to the rule.

IIRC our issues early last year were that we were playing Neeld-ball. Chipping it around the outside of the ground and forcing a contest. Things got better when we cleared out the forwardline, took the game on through the corridor with hard two-way running and went on massive scoring runs with our centre clearance dominance. 6-6-6 makes it harder to isolate your forwards quickly, but I don't see why we can't find a way round that.

Was watching the Cats closely on Monday as I had some money on Danger getting x touches, and they've started having him drop a kick behind play after ball-ups rather than committing himself forward every time. He still bursts forward on occasion, but otherwise he's 25 metres outside the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back