Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Most frustrating thing is this bloke doesn't even need to get us going at 100%- the rest of the competition is reasonably underwhelming. We lose by 4 points to Port away playing 15 minutes of good footy and 80 minutes of crap and easily could have pinched it. On the weekend, we played 0 good footy, but 1 quarter where we actually cracked in with some intent and with the shots we had on goal, we should have stolen that as well. IF Goody gets us going at 75% we are as good as chance as anyone bar maybe Collingwood, if he can't do that he needs to go.

A pass mark this year is at least reaching a prelim, although really it would be disappointing to not have a shot at the flag this year given how comparatively weak the comp is this year to previous years.

My worry is that Goodwin coaching a premiership will lead us to keep him well beyond his expiration date - when in reality one one premiership with this list should be considered an under-achievement.

Bit of chicken and egg here. I get the feeling the players are still patting themselves on the back for the 2021 premiership.
A few trademarks of our premiership seem to be missing. Team first ethos seems a distant memory, they play like a bunch of selfish campaigners right now.

Goodwin can't win a flag without Burgess :) That pressure we applied in the premiership year just isnt there. Is it fitness? Hunger? Crows gonna be the next big thing. They're a fun team to watch tbh.

Goodwin can't win a flag without Burgess :) That pressure we applied in the premiership year just isnt there. Is it fitness? Hunger? Crows gonna be the next big thing. They're a fun team to watch tbh.
It's a silly explanation but I think it is the hunger and the 'vibe' of the team. Just don't seem excited or having fun anymore in games. That seems to be a big thing for the teams doing well, blokes enjoying their footy and playing with the shackles off. We seem too stuck in a system/DNA/method.

It's a silly explanation but I think it is the hunger and the 'vibe' of the team. Just don't seem excited or having fun anymore in games. That seems to be a big thing for the teams doing well, blokes enjoying their footy and playing with the shackles off. We seem too stuck in a system/DNA/method.

Yep absolutely, honestly I put it down to Goodwin. I think the players try for him but geez they don't look like they're enjoying themselves at all.

I felt like punching the monitor yesterday when Goody was asked about our forward line yesterday at his presser "we have the highest scoring team in the comp, our forward line and scoring is the least of my worries" .... ******* useless media, couldn't even give him a whack back to that bullshit with easiest follow up retort of all time : "Do you think your soft draw has anything to do with that?"

Only four rounds in but pretty happy with him this year. He’s never had an issue motivating the players but tactically sometimes we feel a bit off, but they’ve clearly addressed the issues over preseason. We aren’t perfect yet and still fall back into old habits at times but the intent is pretty clear.

Sucked in Schmutty, hook line and sinker, Goody gotcha good. :p

I felt like punching the monitor yesterday when Goody was asked about our forward line yesterday at his presser "we have the highest scoring team in the comp, our forward line and scoring is the least of my worries" .... ******* useless media, couldn't even give him a whack back to that bullshit with easiest follow up retort of all time : "Do you think your soft draw has anything to do with that?"
the AFL journos are ******* cowards. Never asked a tough question between them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing wrong with what I said at the time? We’ve regressed significantly since.

You put your faith in Goodwin having adjusted too early. That's all. Still the same campaigner who roll's into a season with one game plan only (and sticks to it from round 1 to 23) and can't make tweeks/adjustments mid game to save himself.

I don't watch any Goody pressers anymore because it is so hard to control my anger and irritation at the stupid cliche non answers he gives.

I find him incredibly hard to listen to because he has zero intonation and it's apparently incredibly hard to come up with an adverb other than incredibly hard.

Love how he rocks backwards and forwards, its been programmed into Robo-Goody.... putting his hands together when leaning forward, then deciding that isn't comfortable 3 seconds later and starts leaning back and rubbing his forearms for some reason, rinse and repeat numerous times in the same presser.

"There's no doubt" is another one.

Also annoys me how he always bats off any questions about the opposition saying we're just focusing on our brand and then we play that way. Doing absolutely zero to take away opposition strengths, but then the plan is to get them to turn it over and launch from the back half through a skied kick. We have a bunch of smalls who are good disposers & mediocre defensively and because everyone knows that's what we're doing they just kick it to ground away from May & Lever.

Not to mention we go a man down at stoppage which almost completely negates having two of the best midfielders and two of the best ruckmen in the comp cause they can just double team them, force them to chase the ball to 'pressure' the carrier then they get ragged by commentators for leaving their man. They're a man down, they've got no bloody choice. Getting your superstars to be ball spoilers.

You don't need Trac & Clarry to put pressure on a ball carrier, you could get any VFL role player to do that. We're setting up to not play to any of our strengths.

Then when we rebound we're a man down forward of the ball anyway and all the forwards seem intent only to either get a goal out the back or to spoil each other and create a ground contest.

This game plan is designed for fit, b-grade midfielders and an a-grade forward line.

The whole thing is infuriating. Such a stupid way to play with zero adjustment for the strengths & weaknesses of us or the opposition and super predictable to defend.

Worst thing is we're stuck with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back