Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, and for some reason just knowing that after around series 12 has been crap seems to partially tarnish the re-watchability of the good ones
Season 9 was the beginning of the end, when they started to butcher the shows characters. Harry Shearer who does many voices, has stated he felt the fans were cheated when they decided to make principal skinner a fraud, after that they continued to butcher skinner and many other characters. Skinner went from a deeply disturbed Vietnam vet to complete mammas boy. Moe went from being a scumbag to this suicidal wimp. Homer went from a decent family man to be completely egocentric. Barney became a recovering alcoholic. This goes on and on. Oh well I just ignore all that.

I don't know anything about the Simpsons :/. So, back to footy:

My biggest concern with Melbourne is our fitness. I'm happy to put the weekly goalless quarter-or-more down to "mental lapses" or whatever it is but if we repeat 2017 and finish the season with the vast majority of our 22 struggling to finish a game or woefully out of form I'll be furious. For all the bluster about making or not making finals last year, the fact was we were playing like total s**t compared the start of the season.
Need to start decking pricks as well.
Was so much more fun as a dees supporter when someone was getting suspender every week. Saves making up daft excuses like broken hands and dog bites too.

I don't know anything about the Simpsons :/. So, back to footy:

My biggest concern with Melbourne is our fitness. I'm happy to put the weekly goalless quarter-or-more down to "mental lapses" or whatever it is but if we repeat 2017 and finish the season with the vast majority of our 22 struggling to finish a game or woefully out of form I'll be furious. For all the bluster about making or not making finals last year, the fact was we were playing like total s**t compared the start of the season.
Need to start decking pricks as well.
Was so much more fun as a dees supporter when someone was getting suspender every week. Saves making up daft excuses like broken hands and dog bites too.

Do you reckon the lack of fitness is why we don’t tackle - or do you reckon crazy goody just decided we shouldn’t tackle anymore

I don't really get the hate for Goodwin, outside of coaches always copping heat when the side doesn't win.

12 wins 10 losses last year, which is quite good despite the horrible ending.

3 wins and 3 losses this year.

Let's assess his performance again the end of the year.

I don't really get the hate for Goodwin, outside of coaches always copping heat when the side doesn't win.

12 wins 10 losses last year, which is quite good despite the horrible ending.

3 wins and 3 losses this year.

Let's assess his performance again the end of the year.
Let’s not get carried away here. We just beat a shotgun Essendon and looked absolutely awful in the first half. Goodwin isn’t out of the woods by a long shot.

Let’s not get carried away here. We just beat a shotgun Essendon and looked absolutely awful in the first half. Goodwin isn’t out of the woods by a long shot.
I wasn't necessarily saying I'm a believer, just that it's too premature to call him a bad coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was always going to be a horribly skilled game. Both teams coming off short breaks. Thought our structure looked the best it has all year. Great to have tmac back

Lol at the roller-coaster this thread is. The difference in the second half today compared to our previous 8ish quarters was that our forwards and mids dialed up the pressure and made our press really effective. Hannan Fritsch Melksham Spargo worked well. Can't see Garlett getting back in.

Just because we won I'm not praising him. We were appalling in the first half.

Just because we won I'm not praising him. We were appalling in the first half.

Against a good team we are 5-10 goals down in the first half and our season is hanging by a thread. Hopefully half time was the moment he decided to change everything

Against a good team we are 5-10 goals down in the first half and our season is hanging by a thread. Hopefully half time was the moment he decided to change everything

Thankfully, there's maybe one or two good teams floating around this year. Weakest competition I've seen.

Thankfully, there's maybe one or two good teams floating around this year. Weakest competition I've seen.

Yeah, this situation has been brewing over the last few years. I thought '16 was a terrible season saved by a terrific finals series, last year was generally horrible and the least football I've watched since early primary school and this year is as bad or worse. Even though we look bad we're still up to our eyeballs as a potential finalist.

Yeah, this situation has been brewing over the last few years. I thought '16 was a terrible season saved by a terrific finals series, last year was generally horrible and the least football I've watched since early primary school and this year is as bad or worse. Even though we look bad we're still up to our eyeballs as a potential finalist.

Across the board so far this years football is the worst I've seen in my time. Last year had the worst finals series though.

I’m a big Goodwin fan. Still a lot of the season to go but he’s managed to turn the momentum around pretty quick. I like the fact he makes changes to the side when required, sticks with game plan but makes a few tweaks where required. Next two weeks will show how we are maturing as a club we need to win and win well.

Also credit where credit is due for dropping Garlett and giving Spargo a chance

It might seem like a small point but I think it's made a huge difference having Spargo in the team, in the first halves of both games where we haven't been dominating this guy has kicked goals and created chances that an out of form Garlett simply wouldn't have.

He's happy to consistently put his body on the line for a smaller bloke and the injection of enthusiasm and youth has made a difference to the forwardline, whilst still allowing Jeffy a chance to get some touch and form at a lower level. The move looked like a left-field one at the time and many were bemoaning Goody for dropping such a quality player in Garlett, but this competition for spots and ruthlessness is what makes a great team.

In the last quarter Spargo did about 3 or 4 consecutive efforts in our forward 50 which just has to be great for team morale watching a young kid give so much to the team. For the record ANB probably comes out for Garlett sooner rather than later but credit for another seemingly left field move from Crazy-Goody

May the madness continue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back