Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Either way football department needs a cleanout if we miss the 8. No way you can change nothing and expect 40k+ members in 2019...

Like who?

People say sack Goodwin, and offer no reason why a part from not making finals. Who should we sack from the football department and why?

Like who?

People say sack Goodwin, and offer no reason why a part from not making finals. Who should we sack from the football department and why?

The coaches are there to get the most out of the list. We have a lot of talented players. We're definitely less than the sum of our parts, at present. I agree wholesale changes seem rash, but at the same time, our defense is pretty shambolic, our midfielders for the most part all get sucked into the contest and punt it long, and our forwards all fly for the same ball and don't appear to be remotely cohesive. Are our coaches doing a decent job? There'll be a review at the end of the season and you'd hope some tough questions get asked of these blokes.

Keep goodwin.
I know ages ago i have said in the past i wasnt fully sure he was right.

If we go back to a new coach that's setting us back another 4 years plus at least.

We finally have some stability from a coaching perspective (post Roos, obviously) Lets stick fat with goody

Keep goodwin.
I know ages ago i have said in the past i wasnt fully sure he was right.

If we go back to a new coach that's setting us back another 4 years plus at least.

We finally have some stability from a coaching perspective (post Roos, obviously) Lets stick fat with goody
Yep. We’ve got some thinking to do re list management though... Vince, Lewis, Pederson, JKH, Keilty, Weid, Johnstone, McKenna, VDB, Tyson, Bugg, Wagner.
And personally I’d be looking to trade Hogan to Freo for a couple of first rounders. He goes missing in every big game he plays in.

I’d trade hogan if the price is right but it would have to be a hefty price - he does seem to go missing in the good games

As I said a few pages ago, there is no question in my mind Goodwin is a poor coach - at the moment

He is also very inexperienced compared to other coaches so he does need more time

But our structures set up and team work, and response time are laughably slow and this needs to be addressed, and a great deal of that lies with the coachin department

With regards losing another 4 years - I think that’s what it will take anyway since we need to get rid of a lot of crap older players to ever address our culture.

I’m not sure if this set of players will ever do anything due to our cultural problems

I’d trade hogan if the price is right but it would have to be a hefty price - he does seem to go missing in the good games

As I said a few pages ago, there is no question in my mind Goodwin is a poor coach - at the moment

He is also very inexperienced compared to other coaches so he does need more time

But our structures set up and team work, and response time are laughably slow and this needs to be addressed, and a great deal of that lies with the coachin department

With regards losing another 4 years - I think that’s what it will take anyway since we need to get rid of a lot of crap older players to ever address our culture.

I’m not sure if this set of players will ever do anything due to our cultural problems
In terms of who is left from the worst days, it’s really only Jones. And maybe TMAC. Gawn has played a lot of his career in a competitive side.
I really hope we appoint a single captain next year, from Viney, TMAC or Gawn. Jones has been way too introverted during games in my opinion. I’d be going for one of the latter two because I think Viney is a much more limited player than those two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call on all counts - I actually am thinking Lewis and Vince probably need to go as well. My gut tells me Bernie is actually a cultural positive but Lewis is a negative

In terms of who is left from the worst days, it’s really only Jones. And maybe TMAC. Gawn has played a lot of his career in a competitive side.
I really hope we appoint a single captain next year, from Viney, TMAC or Gawn. Jones has been way too introverted during games in my opinion. I’d be going for one of the latter two because I think Viney is a much more limited player than those two.

What difference do you think whoever gets the captain's gig has on the scoreboard?

I’d compeletly disagree with wholesale changes, we need tweaking and improving. You don’t get 5 goals up on Geelong in Geelong if you aren’t doing something right. But maintaining that lead when momentum against us is what separates us from being a good side to a really good team

Fair call on all counts - I actually am thinking Lewis and Vince probably need to go as well. My gut tells me Bernie is actually a cultural positive but Lewis is a negative
Totally agree re cultural influence of Bernie and Lewis. Bernie still leaves everything out there. Lewis half arses it every other contest. And Lewis is getting exposed way too much for lack of pace. I hope the third year of his contract can be transitioning into a coaching role, preferably for the midfield.

What difference do you think whoever gets the captain's gig has on the scoreboard?
Depending on the captain potentially a lot. Luke Hodge made Hawthorn a far better side purely through his infield leadership. Jones is almost the opposite in that where Hodge would find another level in big games and big moments, Jones goes to water.

Depending on the captain potentially a lot. Luke Hodge made Hawthorn a far better side purely through his infield leadership. Jones is almost the opposite in that where Hodge would find another level in big games and big moments, Jones goes to water.

Yes, but Hodge was doing the on-field general role whether he was the skipper or not. The actual captain tosses the coin and that's about it. Everyone on the park can lead players if it takes their fancy.

Totally agree re cultural influence of Bernie and Lewis. Bernie still leaves everything out there. Lewis half arses it every other contest. And Lewis is getting exposed way too much for lack of pace. I hope the third year of his contract can be transitioning into a coaching role, preferably for the midfield.

Good post tempy, I was saying this last night to my geelong mate at the game. Lewis is a better player than Bernie at this stage but you never see him put in the occasional zero effort contest that Lewis does. Both need to be gone soon.

He's had a shocker year tbh. Strange considering we are still a chance for finals, but team selections have been mostly mindboggling and have absolutely cost us games. His lack of ability to change match ups has been costly. His ability to provide our team with a huge amount of inside 50's is impressive, yet his inability to create scores from these inside 50's is equally unimpressive. I know he's still early days in regards to his coaching career, but his lack of ability to pick the right balanced side and his inability to change match ups during a game is amateur stuff. Especially when most on these forums can see the problems but nothing seems to change. Again last night, moved Frost onto Hawkins way too late and his inability to get numbers back and fill that hole 35 metres out directly in front of Geelong's goal on the last play of the day, was truly amatuer hour and cost us yet another game.

He'll be massively under pressure next season IMO. Especially if we fail to make finals again this year, which is looking more likely than not now. I was on the Goodwin bandwagon at the start of the year, but I've jumped off and now not sure whether this guy is any good or not.

Bernie is a trouble making flog. He tried to stir the pot over here with the whole Sloane is pissed off and leaving thing. Nice one Bern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back