Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you'd find Polec inside hogging the "No gravity" treadmill thing this time of year.

From what I have seen so far, there are a few on your list that need to be changed. I will go with your age lines changing the players I don't agree with.

White - not a lock... unless our outside run structure is lacking. Probable.
Jonas - he is a lock.
Young - with our new forward set-up and structure... he is an absolute lock.
Polec - Far from a lock, probable IF fit - I'm almost ready to write him off!
AhChee - I agree that he is not a probable - but he is very much in consideration for best 22 should there be an injury or 2... training very well.
Toumpas - same as AhChee, he looks a completely different player to last year... he is in the top few fittest players and he looks way more comfortable out on the track than any time that I saw him last pre-season. Still behind a few in his position though.
Amon - Absolute probable... he will surprise a few of you guys when you see him on family day - Smokey for best 22 IMO!
DBJ - LOCK!! He has stepped up and gone to the next level of intensity, sit back and take that in - he is an animal at the contest!
Frampton - Not a probable yet... BUT, he is shining and standing out during the match sim - he WILL debut early in 2017 assuming he stays fit!
Ladhams - While he is only a rookie, he is my favourite pick from this draft... Tall, agile, high end runner, very strong contested mark, good set shot AND almost AFL size already!
Atley - not quite probable, but very very close to it... he is ferocious and has a mean as **** side step. he will definitely make the grade.
Marshall - super talented and brilliant... just needs a year or so on the steak and eggs pumping iron!
Thanks for this I desperately needed this fix in such an incredibly quiet pre season.

So I took a couple of month break from BF over the summer.
How in general are you feeling about the team we'll be fielding in 2017?

POWER:

F Westhof Dixon Wingard

HF Ebert Trengove A Young

C Polec Wines Krakouer

HB Pittard Clurey Byrne-Jones

B Impey Austin Hombsch
---------------------------------
R Ryder R Gray Boak
--------------------------------------------
Int Palmer Jonas Bonner Powell-Pepper
Emg S Gray Hartlett Monfries

MAGPIES:

F Reynolds Eddy Neade

HF White Frampton Ah Chee

C Toumpass Atley Amon

HB Broadbent Howard Huston

B Lienert Masters Irra
R Lobbe Summerton Snelling
Int Johnson Sharrad Drew

MAGPIES Res's:

Power Ladhams Hewett Marshall
Mags R Young Ross T Gray
Acad Corcoran Biemans Davidson
Acad Phelps Proude Agius
Acad Rudloff + + + + + +.......

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:p:p:p;);):):):):thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::eek:

I'd love to see a lot of SPP, Bonner and Atley. I don't think finals is likely at all so might as well give them a fair crack. The likes of White, Polec and Impey have had their chances and not taken them so give the young guys a chance.

I've always hated reading posts like that, but I think I'm just craving change and want to see some of those guys lose their golden passes.

I'd love to see a lot of SPP, Bonner and Atley. I don't think finals is likely at all so might as well give them a fair crack. The likes of White, Polec and Impey have had their chances and not taken them so give the young guys a chance.

I've always hated reading posts like that, but I think I'm just craving change and want to see some of those guys lose their golden passes.
Why aren't finals likely? Given a decent run with injuries for once, and a more effective game plan, I reckon we're a huge chance of featuring in the September action.

Why aren't finals likely? Given a decent run with injuries for once, and a more effective game plan, I reckon we're a huge chance of featuring in the September action.

Other teams are going to get better. We'd need Wines to take a massive step up, Wingard to step up and kick 50 goals, Dixon to kick a heap and some defenders to turn into stars overnight. I don't think right now is the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other teams are going to get better. We'd need Wines to take a massive step up, Wingard to step up and kick 50 goals, Dixon to kick a heap and some defenders to turn into stars overnight. I don't think right now is the time.
And you're entitled to your opinion: I just don't share the same opinion. There's plenty of upside in this group, and if they play to their full potential, we'll become a force again.

Polec & Impey are young guys

Personally I think our best 22 is looking a lot stronger than it did at the end of last year. But every team will think that. What I want to know is if our structures and set ups have improved from last years, which were absolute dogshit at times.

There will be no excuses this year. If we don't see results there will be blood.

Not sure where that come from - they both have the potential to become elite. - As you said both still young, one of whom neary had his career ended by injury not that long ago Very Harsh

POWER:

F Westhof Dixon Wingard

HF Ebert Trengove A Young

C Polec Wines Krakouer

HB Pittard Clurey Byrne-Jones

B Impey Austin Hombsch
R Ryder R Gray Boak
Int Palmer Jonas Bonner Powell-Pepper
Emg S Gray Hartlett Monfries

Not to bad.

To big in defence though. Only room for 3 of Hombsch, Austin, Clurey and Jonus. Only room for two of those four if Trengove moves back into defence at any point. We want to maximise our run out of defence and we certainly don't need 4 big key stoppers.

Hartlett defiantly starts the year in the side, clearly has the respect of the playing group. yes should have been dropped last year but at his best is easily a top 30 player in the comp and deserve the chance to step up, how ever no second chances. doesn't perform then plays for the Maggies.

You... you do know that AFL listed players can't play in that team right?

Knew someone would notice that. I wasn't entirely sure, what with the 17 AFL player limit in SANFL finals. I don't know whether that applies to minor rounds too for Port and Crers?

If so, we have 3 players surplus (potentially - barring injury, etc) that either sit out matches completely or play Ressies or play with their previous SANFL clubs (or if from interstate, are drafted to new SANFL clubs for those weeks that there is a surplus).

Clearly, we should always have a few out for one reason or another, and it is likely to never come to a "surplus" scenario. But you have to look at all possibilities. If Masters leaves, and there is no limit on minor rounds, then we can fill the whole Magpies league side with AFL players.

Needs some clarification. SANFL probs still deciding which way to go :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh yeah I know. I sorta meant that Impey is a young guy who had a lot of chances and has got to play a heap of different roles and never found any consistency or showed heaps. I don't think he's best 22 in a good team. And for Polec, I think he's one of those good players in a good team, but won't do much for you if you're down near the bottom.

How is Ebert a lock for best 22. Gee whiz already started with the gold passes. Can't anyone remember the poor disposal efficiency and numerous easy dropped marks last year??

P.s. I'm joking, the last 10-12 game last year this guy put his head literally on the line for this team week in week out. Chuck him up forward somewhere (his goal kicking is pretty good) where his disposal efficiency won't get us into too much trouble and I think he would shine.

Would rather Chaddy in the mid working his magic than Ebo in there potentially losing possession in dangerous positions. But Ebo is definitely a lock I just think it should be for predominantly up front with the occasional stint in the mid to relieve Chadwick.

Knew someone would notice that. I wasn't entirely sure, what with the 17 AFL player limit in SANFL finals. I don't know whether that applies to minor rounds too for Port and Crers?

If so, we have 3 players surplus (potentially - barring injury, etc) that either sit out matches completely or play Ressies or play with their previous SANFL clubs (or if from interstate, are drafted to new SANFL clubs for those weeks that there is a surplus).

Clearly, we should always have a few out for one reason or another, and it is likely to never come to a "surplus" scenario. But you have to look at all possibilities. If Masters leaves, and there is no limit on minor rounds, then we can fill the whole Magpies league side with AFL players.

Needs some clarification. SANFL probs still deciding which way to go :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If we have more than 17 available for finals in the SANFL the rest sit out and don't play at all.

ebert had a great 2016. His 2015 was terrible. Out of al the comments above, im going to give my favourite to the one about Ladhams impressing the most. With that name, he could be our next ladey!!

ebert had a great 2016. His 2015 was terrible. Out of al the comments above, im going to give my favourite to the one about Ladhams impressing the most. With that name, he could be our next ladey!!

Ebert was asked to do the Kornes role and it is debatable he did it well enough often enough to persist.

Ebert was asked to do the Kornes role and it is debatable he did it well enough often enough to persist.

i like ebert as a forward or as a run with role, depending on whats needed. he has an outstanding overhead mark, and a very straight kick. His problem seems to be his decision making with the ball, and also seeing imaginary people to kick to.

And you're entitled to your opinion: I just don't share the same opinion. There's plenty of upside in this group, and if they play to their full potential, we'll become a force again.
The problem with us is that we aren't bad, and we aren't great. We're definitely somewhere in between.

We just aren't a flag contender and that's the disappointing thing that triggers a lot of over reaction and a lot of negativity throughout our supporter base because the expectations were so high post 2014.

If we get on a roll early, confidence grows, Dixon stays fit, the team in general stays fit and our midfield improves on the back of Ryder's return, then we're absolutely a contender for top 4, but we need all of that to happen, and even then we are extremely unlikely to win the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back